3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Arrow toughness advice.. footings  (Read 4180 times)

Offline Eric Krewson

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Arrow toughness advice.. footings
« Reply #20 on: December 21, 2018, 09:37:58 AM »
I ran an archery club for about 15 years, we put on at least 100 tournaments during that time.

Anything you put in a target that is bigger on the head than the shaft is going to pull a plug out of the target when you pull arrows. My experience is from aluminum arrow days and I found a 2117 head on a 2018  shaft will pull a quarter sized plug out of a target on arrow extraction, at least on the Mckenzies we used. One shooter with mismatched point/shafts would be a human wrecking ball on our targets.

We put a lot of money and effort into our tournaments for very little return so a guy who didn't care if he tore up the targets was strongly cautioned to be more considerate in the future.

Offline DanielB89

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: December 21, 2018, 11:49:37 AM »
Daniel I'm serious. I'm in the market for new arrows and not the brand I've been using for years. I'm looking for some lighter spine arrows for a few bows that I have that are lighter in poundage. So I don't want to waste my money on substandard arrows. Please post which arrows are going down in quality so we will all know what to look out for.

Thanks

Terry,

somehow I missed your post the first time.  The arrows i'm referring too are beman center shots.  They come in at around 9.6 gpi and have always been very good to me.  I am not sure what the deal is with this batch, but I broke 3 or 4 of them of them in a very short period of time.  I purchased a 3d target and it's a smaller rhinehart hog target, the metal stake in the leg goes all the way up to below the body line.  I have hit it a few times and split a couple.  Now, it only split 1/2" up the shaft and I was able to salvage the arrow by cutting that part off an footing it.  Another time I shot over the target and hit and tree and it did the same. 

All of those problems were solved by footing it. I think i'll continue to foot all mine just for peace of mind.  I don't want a failure when i accidentally hit a shoulder. 
"Blessed is the man who trusts in the LORD And whose trust is the LORD. Jeremiah 17:7

"There is a way which seems right to a man,
But its end is the way of death."  Proverbs 14:12

GCook

« Reply #22 on: December 21, 2018, 05:03:42 PM »
Daniel I'm serious. I'm in the market for new arrows and not the brand I've been using for years. I'm looking for some lighter spine arrows for a few bows that I have that are lighter in poundage. So I don't want to waste my money on substandard arrows. Please post which arrows are going down in quality so we will all know what to look out for.

Thanks

Terry,

somehow I missed your post the first time.  The arrows i'm referring too are beman center shots.  They come in at around 9.6 gpi and have always been very good to me.  I am not sure what the deal is with this batch, but I broke 3 or 4 of them of them in a very short period of time.  I purchased a 3d target and it's a smaller rhinehart hog target, the metal stake in the leg goes all the way up to below the body line.  I have hit it a few times and split a couple.  Now, it only split 1/2" up the shaft and I was able to salvage the arrow by cutting that part off an footing it.  Another time I shot over the target and hit and tree and it did the same. 

All of those problems were solved by footing it. I think i'll continue to foot all mine just for peace of mind.  I don't want a failure when i accidentally hit a shoulder.
I have that same target.  The GT Warriors have had a couple of fails hitting that and solid object but the Black Eagle Vintage shafts have held up fine.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Online Longtoke

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: December 21, 2018, 08:16:52 PM »
What size aluminum are you using for those small shafts. I have some 600 centershots I would like to foot
Toelke Pika t/d 54" 52#
Bear Polar 56” 40#
Black Hunter 60" 40#

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: December 21, 2018, 09:23:01 PM »
thx
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline BigJim

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: December 22, 2018, 08:49:58 AM »
I should have my new Big Jim "Dark Timber" arrows in about a month...+- and although they aren't indestructible, I have found them to be very tough.
Just playing around last week, I shot a 500 spine with no footing in to an oak tree and then three times through one side of a 55gal  steel drum.
Unable to damage it, I turned to a cinder block and fired away. The insert was pushed back a 1/2". I flexed it and shot it again. Another 1/2"!  After 5 shots in to the cinder block, my arrow was about 2"s shorter then when I started, but otherwise un harmed.
There was no footing on the shaft and I was using a 67lb bow at my 32" draw do test the durability of the arrows.

I will have more out there when they are ready, but they will take popular components and at a price point that will make every one smile in a good way.
All that and a very attractive wood grain pattern on all spines all the way out to 800 spine!
BigJim
http://www.bigjimsbowcompany.com/      
I just try to live my life in a way that would have made my father proud.

Offline Alexander Traditional

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: December 23, 2018, 09:05:53 AM »
I should have my new Big Jim "Dark Timber" arrows in about a month...+- and although they aren't indestructible, I have found them to be very tough.
Just playing around last week, I shot a 500 spine with no footing in to an oak tree and then three times through one side of a 55gal  steel drum.
Unable to damage it, I turned to a cinder block and fired away. The insert was pushed back a 1/2". I flexed it and shot it again. Another 1/2"!  After 5 shots in to the cinder block, my arrow was about 2"s shorter then when I started, but otherwise un harmed.
There was no footing on the shaft and I was using a 67lb bow at my 32" draw do test the durability of the arrows.

I will have more out there when they are ready, but they will take popular components and at a price point that will make every one smile in a good way.
All that and a very attractive wood grain pattern on all spines all the way out to 800 spine!
BigJim

They sound good Jim,who's going to be making them for you?

Offline BigJim

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: December 23, 2018, 09:26:20 AM »
They are coming from a reputable company that I've been working with for a while.. They are imported... as are most of the other companies.
BigJim
http://www.bigjimsbowcompany.com/      
I just try to live my life in a way that would have made my father proud.

Offline Tedd

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: December 23, 2018, 09:34:53 AM »
I think there are plenty tough arrows but they are often heavier than you need for deer hunting.
Here is a link to the Victory catalog the specs on Grizzlystiks. I think it is page 20.
https://www.victoryarchery.com/Catalog-Hunting/
With the Grizzlystik TDT you can get a really tough arrow that is not overly heavy.
I've been shooting them for months with no failures, the insert/outsert works fine. The carbon around the front end is thicker than the typical carbon shaft. I don't feel like breaking one to see how tough it is but I haven't found the limit of them yet.
The shafts that I had most recently had trouble with was the Axis Woodgrain. I always knew the were fragile to  side impact but they also broke right behind the insert when using 250 grain points and long broad heads.
Tedd

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©