3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: New Bow Day  (Read 1309 times)

Offline Modad2010

• Trad Bowhunter
New Bow Day
« on: December 18, 2018, 12:31:34 AM »
Well, after checking tracking numbers for the last two days, my Pika finally arrived at the local post office and I was there within 20 minutes to pick it up. When I opened the tube and pulled it out I was amazed at how light it was - even with the micarta riser. I got it strung up and then realized I still needed to put some inserts into a few Beman Centershot 600's to shoot. I got the inserts in and outside we went. I shot the first group at about 10 yards to get the feel and then backed up to 15 for the second round. That time all six arrows were in a tennis ball sized group right where I was looking. The 600's were full length with 75gr. inserts and 175gr points and I was basically shooting in the string a bit. Every once in a while I got bit on the left hand by some fletching as the arrow was leaving the bow. I did have to put some twists into the string after about 75 shots to get the brace height back up to 7 5/8". I plan on putting anoth 150 - 200 shots through it before I start tuning arrows, but so far I am a very happy guy. :goldtooth: I haven't been able to get pics yet, but hope to post some tomorrow. I hope I can get the deal with the fletching contact figured out - that crap stings! These Toelkes are definitely all that you guys said they were.
You can fix stupid.......but it's gonna hurt!

Offline Longbow 56

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: New Bow Day
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2018, 04:48:03 AM »
I have a Whistler coming soon . What are the specs on your bow?

Offline joe vt

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2018, 04:51:12 AM »
Nice!!!  I love bow delivery days. 

Gotta love Toelke bows.
~ joe vt  >>>~~~~~~~~>

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Modad2010

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2018, 10:55:39 AM »
My specs are 54" single piece, 40# @26.5" Pika. I went with black glass instead of veneers (I regret that - love that mango), East Indian rosewood accents. It's a very dark bow with the exception of the bamboo cores.

think I figured out the fletching contact with the hand. That began after shooting quite a few arrows and I believe that as the string was stretching in and the brace height was lowering with the stretching. This morning I noticed a tiny bit of blood on a single fletch of one arrow. The blood was just in front of the peak of the fletch height. I made a bit of a tweak to the arrow nock and bingo no more contact. The nock adjustment has the arrow oriented similar to what would be set up to shoot through a whisker biscuit rest on a compound. The grip that Dan puts on these bows is fantastic, but the shelf is RIGHT above your finger. When I hold the bowI have tiny fold of skin that rides up right on the edge of the shelf and that's where I was getting bit. It's as close to shooting off your finger as you can get and that's probably why these bows point so well.
The sound of the shot is also amazing, it's like you took a wide, heavy rubber band and stretched it with very little tension and plucked it lightly. Just a very faint, little "thump".
I can't wait to get some tuning done and maybe take it to the woods this weekend.  :archer2:

Offline Possum Head

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2018, 11:18:31 AM »
Nice choice congrats

Offline Modad2010

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2018, 03:05:26 PM »
Hopefully the pics will show up.

GCook

« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2018, 04:00:15 PM »
Glad it shoots well for you.  Looking forward to some LDPs.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Offline Modad2010

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2018, 10:44:39 PM »
I did a bunch of shooting today with the full lenth 600's and the 250 gr. up front and was getting really good arrow flight. So, I put some inserts into a few bare shafts and stuck in some 175 gr. points to see how they all grouped together. They actually grouped together quite well. Dan had recommended 28" with 50gr insert and 175gr head or 75gr insert with 150gr head and this was confirmed by the calculator @ 3 River's site. I should be grossly under spined, but the shooting isn't showing that. Should I cut an arrow down to see what happens? :banghead: I will say that I haven't shot any broadheads as of yet. Maybe I should shoot a few broadheads on some fletched shafts before going further.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©