3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Friend wants a longbow  (Read 2828 times)

Offline dbow

• Trad Bowhunter
Friend wants a longbow
« on: December 18, 2018, 06:32:54 PM »
Hello TG,  it's been a while thats for sure. 

Anyway i have a friend that wants to get into longbow hunting, i've been out of the loop for a while.  Any recommendations for cheaper longbows that would work for this young man?  Also what pound bow did most of you start with?  Curious if i'm different than most by starting at 50.   :shaka:

Offline Possum Head

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Friend wants a longbow
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2018, 06:52:03 PM »
The Maddog Prairie Predator is hard to beat for a fine introductory bow. That’s not to say they aren’t great for a final selection. I began at 45lbs. Lots of mint used bows available as well!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Online Bowguy67

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2018, 07:44:33 PM »
50 lbs is way to high imo for almost anyone especially if he’s not familiar w bows at all. Even if he’d shot compounds it’s still a lot for most people. He needs to learn proper form not fight a bow to full draw
62” Robertson Primal Overdrive 57lbs
62” Robertson Primal Overdrive 52lbs
62” Robertson Primal Overdrive 53lbs
62” Robertson Fatal Styx 47lbs
64” Toelke Whip 52lbs
58” Black Widow PSA 64lbs
62” Black Widow PSA 54lbs
60” Bighorn Grand Slam 60lbs
60” Bear Kodiak Hunter 50lbs painted black. My uncles bow. He may be gone but his spirit isn’t. Bow will hunt again
52” Bear Kodiak Magnum 50lbs

Offline Wudstix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Wood arrows & D/R Longbows Rule!!!
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2018, 10:42:50 PM »
Started at @40# at my 26' draw at age 13, moved up to 50# by 16, shooting 64-67# now at 60.  Taking a couple months off really makes it fun coming back.   :archer: :coffee: :archer2: :biglaugh:
"If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space!!!" - Me

Psalms 121: 1-3 - King David

60" Big River 67#@28"              
60" MOAB D/R LB 62#@27"
60" Big River D/R LB 65#@27"
62" Kota Badlands LB 72#@28"
62" Howatt TD 62#@28
58” Bear Grizzly 70#@28”
62" Big River D/R LB 60#@30"
66" Moosejaw Razorback LB 60#@28"

"Memento Mori"
PBS - Associate Member
Retired DoD Civ 1985-2019

Offline jhk1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2018, 11:12:03 PM »
Is he looking for a particular type of longbow? For example, he could prefer one of the following basic types, and maybe has a preference for a longer or shorter bow:
1) Hill-style longbow (ASL, or American Semi-Longbow). Most often 66"-70" in length, but sometimes as short as 62" or even 60".
2) Mild reflex-deflex longbow. There are longer and shorter models of this type out there. I'm aware of models as short as 60" and as long as 70".
3) Aggressive reflex-deflex, or hybrid longbow (generally shorter in length, usually around 56"-64", sometimes shorter or longer).
4) I'm sure I'm missing some other type(s).
I'm not an authority on longbow classifications by any stretch-- just my rough attempt at it.

Offline Longtoke

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2018, 12:08:04 AM »
I would get a black hunter with a set of 40 pound limbs.   These bows are a great bang for the buck, which will allow him to spend more on arrows and points.  and since they are 3 piece bows he can get heavier limbs as he progresses.
Toelke Pika t/d 54" 52#
Bear Polar 56” 40#
Black Hunter 60" 40#

Online Tom

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2018, 05:57:25 AM »
Agree with the above post-black hunter is available in longbow or recurve.
The essence of the hunt for me is to enter nature and observe+ return safely occasionally with the gift of a life taken.

Offline SAM E. STEPHENS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2018, 10:00:22 AM »
I have to respectfully disagreed with needing to learn with a compound bow..

I have helped more people than I can count learn to shoot a Trad bow. You can buy a Galaxy Ember longbow for $200 and extra limbs for $90 a set. Get a 40# and go to work if needed drop to 35# and get your form down.

,,,Sam,,
HUNT OLD SCHOOL

Offline Krex1010

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2018, 10:21:00 AM »
I have to respectfully disagreed with needing to learn with a compound bow..

I have helped more people than I can count learn to shoot a Trad bow. You can buy a Galaxy Ember longbow for $200 and extra limbs for $90 a set. Get a 40# and go to work if needed drop to 35# and get your form down.

,,,Sam,,

Sam, I completely agree. I mentioned compounds as a comparison, in that you can easily buy a reasonably priced bow to learn and hunt with. I brought compounds up because most people getting into trad archery come from compounds. Maybe my post was a little confusing, wouldn’t be the first time I failed to make sense lol. But in no way was I recommending that you need to learn with a compound. In my mind, if you want to shoot trad gear, experience with a compound is of little help and often muddies the water.
"You can't cheat the mountain pilgrim"

Offline 76Aggie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2018, 12:27:24 PM »
I am not a longbow guy.  Mostly I shoot recurves.  I do own one longbow and it is a Prairie Predator.  I believe a lot of folks would recommend one of these bows by Mike M.  This spring, I plan to start shooting my Prairie Predator a lot more than in the past.  I just seem to like a recurve better than a longbow.  Like others have said, if your friend is new to stickbows, it is strongly suggested he start with a bow of no more than 40lbs.  The Prairie Predator shoots better than I can for sure.  Reasonably priced as well with a short turnaround time if he elects to have Mike make one for him.  Personally, I believe he should start with a used bow as there are a lot on the market.  If he enjoys it as much as he probably will, he can explore other production or custom bows but the Prairie Predator is one fine bow especially for the cost.  It is not a cheap bow....just not as expensive as others.

Offline David Mitchell

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2018, 03:12:24 PM »
I agree with the suggestions regarding the Black Hunter.  I have the same bow sold by Lancaster Archery under the name Galaxy Ember.  I have spent a lot of money over the years on customs from some top makers.  I got the Galaxy to get a light weight bow to work on some form and TP issues.  I have come to love the bow.  It is not "a great bow for the money" as some may say--It is a great bow, period.  AND it won't break the bank.  :archer2:
The years accumulate on old friendships like tree rings, during which time a kind of unspoken care and loyalty accrue between men.

Online mjh

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2018, 05:41:35 PM »
Prairie Predator from Maddog would be my choice, good balance of cost, durability, performance.  Made by someone you can email  or call up on the phone and get a direct response from the maker.  I like a 62inch bow but that's just me.  40# plenty to start will.  Of course age and physical conditioning taken into account.

Offline finkm1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2018, 12:54:24 PM »
Newwoods, damn good bows for the money.
"When in Rome, DO Rome"

"Expect more than others think is possible"

Offline J. Holden

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2018, 07:08:45 PM »
He isn't a lefty by chance is he?

-Jeremy :coffee:
Pslam 46:10

"A real man rejects passivity and takes responsibility to lead, provide, protect, and teach expecting to receive the greater reward." Dr. Robert Lewis

Offline TDHunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: December 23, 2018, 05:11:32 PM »
Black Hunter, got my wife one and my brother bought one because he loved the grip. Now he's sold off all his customs because the black hunter shoots better. Both came direct from the Mandarin Duck website for 130 bucks....unreal for the money, finishing is as good or better than many customs. My brothers is 50lbs@28 he draws to 29.5. 550 gr Carbon does 180 fps

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: December 24, 2018, 05:29:03 PM »
I am a proponent of Hill style bows and would definitely recommend he look at them carefully. However, I also have several R/D bows that I like, so be sure he shoots several type bows before making a final choice. I would suggest he start out with a fairly low draw weight around 40# - not over 45# for sure. He may have a desire to pull a heavy draw weight, but he should become proficient at a draw weight he handles well. Actually, I would suggest he kill a few head of game at this weight before he buys a heavy bow, as he may decide he doesn't need the heavy bow. Oddly, though, I like a heavy pull and started out with a 58# longbow and have shot up to 78#. Now, due to age/health issues, I shoot a 53# NM Shelton (a wonderful bow). My progress would undoubtedly have been quicker if I had followed the previous advice I just passed along. After all, if he becomes a longbow addict like so many of us, he will own any number of them and can try heavier weight later when he is in a position to handle it effectively. Granted, I am an authority on NOTHING related to archery or bowhunting, but I have made enough errors along the way that I have actually learned a few things. The best thing for your buddy to do when bow shopping id to choose equipment that is FUN to shoot. However, I would not suggest he start with a compound - if he wants to become proficient with a longbow, he needs to shoot a longbow.
Sam

Offline BlacktailBowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: December 24, 2018, 10:27:27 PM »
My friends like their Maddog bows
Join a credible hunting organization, participate in it, and take a kid hunting. Member: U.S. Sportsmen's Alliance, NWTF, Oregon Hunter's Assn., Oregon Bow Hunters and  Oregon Foundation for Blacktailed Deer.

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: December 29, 2018, 08:49:45 AM »
45# used bow.
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©