3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Black Swan or Morrison  (Read 747 times)

Offline HATCHCHASER

• Trad Bowhunter
Black Swan or Morrison
« on: March 30, 2008, 09:16:00 AM »
I just want an opinion on pro's and con's of each.  I know that being able to shoot a certain bow is all that matters.  I know there is no "magic bow".  I know I will not acheive the numbers spit out of shooting machines.
If I go with a longbow it will be the shawnee, recurve cheyenne, black swan hybrid, possibly recurve.  If they made a cheyenne longbow that would be my choice.  I like the deflex riser.  I could go ILF but I tinker enough with my bows and don't need adjustments.  Thanks in advance.
It's not the arrival, it's the journey.

Offline houseman

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Black Swan or Morrison
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2008, 09:21:00 AM »
Never shot a swan but, I own several Morrisons.  You can't go wrong with any of Bobs bows.
Semper Fi

Offline PA Bones

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2008, 09:22:00 AM »
I agree with Houseman

Offline Killdeer

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2008, 09:23:00 AM »
Yes, Virginia, there IS a Magic Bow!
Never had a Black Swan, but I have four Morrisons. The Cheyenne is my favorite, but I suspect that if the others had a higher grip, I might have stopped looking.  :)  

Killdeer  :archer:
Long, long afterward, in an oak I found the arrow, still unbroke;
And the song, from beginning to end, I found again in the heart of a friend.

~Longfellow

TGMM Family Of The Bow

Offline Buckhammer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2008, 09:35:00 AM »
I've got two Swans and two Morrisons. I love 'em all. Both Bob and Arvid offer beautiful bows that are a joy to shoot.   :archer:   But to each his own - try them before you buy one if possible.

Offline Shawn Leonard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2008, 09:59:00 AM »
I have shot several Morrisons and owned 3 over the years. I have shot several Swans as well, I did not care for them, everyone was a bit shockey and I could not get them to tune very well. You may have better luck with them. Shawn
Shawn

Offline vermonster13

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2008, 10:33:00 AM »
Wally both are great bows. I have 3 Swans with a few on the way and a Cheyenne with another on the way with the foam cored limbs. Get one of each and you won't have to decide. lol

Give me a call, I may have a Swan you can borrow for a little while in a week or so. I know you've shot the Morrisons already.
TGMM Family of the Bow
For hunting to have a future, we must invest ourselves in future hunters.

Offline HATCHCHASER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2008, 11:17:00 AM »
Thanks ya'll. David I may take you up on that offer.  It seems a Morrison would be easy to resale if it didn't work out and I have seen very few swans for sale.  Apparently people keep um.  I know these are two of the top performers out there.

Offline rnharris

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2008, 02:59:00 PM »
Wally don't count out the morrison couger to date it is the fastest longbow i have shot good luck Ralph
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline HATCHCHASER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2008, 05:57:00 PM »
I just need to get rid of a few before I take the pludge.  That TC is still for sale Ralph!

Offline JC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2008, 06:55:00 PM »
Everyon knows how I love Morrisons, but Arvid has some awesome stuff on the horizon that's going to give any of the upper end bows a run for their money. If his health will improve to the point where he can get back into full production, I think you will see some really interesting things come out of Black Swan. While I've never cared for the grip on his one piece models, the few I shot were excellent performers with super shooting characteristics. He has multiple 3pc models becoming available with models that will appeal to just about anyone. His ceramic limb developments are definately going to stretch the envelope of performance while keeping the attributes all of us hold dear: low noise, vibration, and smoothness of draw.

That said, you can get the Morrison you want relatively quickly, imho it will be the best bow you put in your hands. I'd say buy the Morrison now and if/when Arvid's new stuff gets on the market, get one of those too! But don't be surprised if you own more than one Morrison by the time you decide on a Black Swan.

And the Cheyenne longbow as well as ILF longbow are probably coming....if folks will stop calling Bob trying to find out when their bows will be done   :readit:
"Being there was good enough..." Charlie Lamb reflecting on a hunt
TGMM Brotherhood of the Bow

Offline Dawn Patrol

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2008, 07:11:00 PM »
I have had both and for me it would be any model Morrison over the Swan.
I put the "stink" in instinctive archery!

Offline Crooked Stic

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2008, 07:18:00 PM »
Thats easy-Morrison.
High on Archery.

Offline rnharris

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2008, 07:19:00 PM »
aint much selling marty tough right now  :thumbsup:
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline pete p

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2008, 07:34:00 PM »
the new swans will take the lead over anything in the performance dept. including acs

Offline Jedimaster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: March 30, 2008, 07:46:00 PM »
To me they are two different animals and other than the obvious (both stick bows) the only similarity is speed.  I prefer a little riser mass and a medium grip. So in that respect the comparison would be between the take-downs.  When comparing the total package: options, fit, finish, performance, re-sale value, etc. it's going to be hard to beat Morrison.  If you take speed of delivery/availability into account Morrison again seems to have the edge.  

With that said, my Swan hybrid was some bow and if I could shoot it worth a hoot I'd still have it.  Whichever you get should give you plenty of performance.  Good luck.  :)
Do or do not ... there is no "try"

Cum catapulatae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

Offline HATCHCHASER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: March 30, 2008, 10:14:00 PM »
Thanks folks.  Lot's of good info here.

Offline Ken999

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: March 30, 2008, 10:38:00 PM »
New Swans??...

Offline Hooked

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: March 31, 2008, 12:37:00 AM »
Yep,
Arvid has a new hybrid and curve coming with a ceramic belly, carbon backing, and forward set handle.  Also with new wood risers.  Seen pics of the prototypes.  They look sweet!!!
"But, the bestest doctor of all is God!"  Katie Jones (7 years old)

Offline leatherneck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: March 31, 2008, 08:57:00 AM »
Never shot a Swan but have heard very good things about them. I do have 2- Morrisons(Cheyenn and Shawnee) and can say they are worth the money. And the foam core limbs.......WOW! You can't compare them to anyone else. This is just my opinion of course.
“I can accept failure, everyone fails at something. But I can’t accept not trying"

Proud shareholder of MK,LLC

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©