3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: What to buy, longbow?  (Read 1444 times)

Offline KrEn

• Trad Bowhunter
What to buy, longbow?
« on: December 20, 2018, 07:00:42 AM »
Hi all,

Coming back into archery - never been quite out - but on the sideline. My son (14) is increasingly more into archery, and going to the local club regularly, as well as practicing in the garden. This is recurve archery, FITA/ Olympic recurve type shooting. I have tried, but all the sights, stabilisers, wtf, is not for me.
What i shoot, when i shoot, is an old Morrison ILF riser with Border Hex V limbs on it - i pull about 50# at my DL of 30-ish. Or i use my ole "hybrid" bamboo/hickory longbow that i made myself years ago - this is also 50-ish, at that DL. Both bows are a good fit for me and i shot them OK, - but for regular, high volume shooting, and for competition (aka 72+ arrows in a couple of hours) it is too heavy, beiing on the far side of 50 and quite slender built.
I want to be able to compete in the national "longbow" class, which basically state the bow be in one piece, string touch only tips, and be "wood" (bamboo is ok) cored. I glued up what is now a quite nice looking blank, of a bamboo/hickory/osage reflex deflex blank, but realising i should have a modern material bow for the use i think of, i turn to this group.

I want a high performance reflex/ deflex (hybrid?) longbow, that easily handles a 30" pull wo stacking, that is reasonably fast, quiet and shock-free. It will see practice, field and target competion, small game hunting and similar activities - probably around 40# I of course also need arrows, carbon arrows. Budget is flexible, within reason, not past Border at least. Maybe something similar to a Border Hawk Hunter, but maybe cheaper, maybe slightly lower performing?

So are there any suggestions? What bow, and what arrows do you people think i should look closer at? Also intersted in views on the Border, and on A&H ACS.

K

« Last Edit: December 20, 2018, 07:14:40 AM by KrEn »
-You see something, just whack it"

Offline nineworlds9

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Northman
Re: What to buy, longbow?
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2018, 08:35:54 AM »
Give Gregg @Java Man Archery a call to discuss his Impala longbow 👍😁  I think it would be perfect for your purposes. 
52" Texas Recurve
58" Two Tracks Ogemaw
60" Toelke Chinook
62" Tall Tines Stickflinger
64" Big Jim Mountain Monarch
64" Poison Dart LB
66" Wes Wallace Royal

Horse Creek TAC, GA
TBOF

Offline michaelschwister

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: What to buy, longbow?
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2018, 08:46:02 AM »
X2 on the Javaman Impala (or Impala Supreme).  The perfect bow for what you described
"The best thing to give to your enemy is forgiveness; to a friend, your heart; to your child, a good example; to a father, deference; to your mother, conduct that will make her proud of you; to yourself, respect" - Benjamin Franklin

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©