3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Treesaddle...anyone use'm?  (Read 8484 times)

Offline BRONZ

• Trad Bowhunter
Treesaddle...anyone use'm?
« on: December 25, 2018, 10:16:34 PM »
I need to up my versatility with hang and hunts. Anyone use of treesaddle? Thoughts? Thoughts on shooting shooting a trad bow from one? Model choice?
Thx in advance!
"He trains my hands for battle; my arms can bend a bow of bronze."
2 Samuel 22:35

Wheatland Christian Bowhunters--Chairman

Offline varmint101

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Treesaddle...anyone use'm?
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2018, 12:03:15 PM »
Been peaking my interest too. I know Harmon Carson uses one and takes a lot of critters. Seem pretty handy.
Bless The Lord, O My Soul!

Member:
Indiana Bowhunter Association
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
Professional Bowhunters Society

Offline KellyG

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2018, 12:46:04 PM »
I found a youtube video that compares shoot from them. Unfortunately, they are using a compound bow, but you can get an idea. Search Moving for a shot, Saddles VS Tree stands under youtube it pops up.

Offline Jasper2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2018, 07:38:15 PM »
There's a learning curve for sure and it feels a little strange for awhile but if you give it a chance, it's a valuable addition to your arsenal.  Be sure to check out the Mantis tree saddle thread as well.

Today's offerings are leaps and bounds ahead of the old Trophylines.  So be cautious and don't make your decision based on reviews or opinions from 10 years ago.

Take care,
Jason

56" Centaur Chimera 50#@27"

Offline J. Holden

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2018, 08:31:13 PM »
I switched to a tree saddle.  I bought a Tethrd Mantis saddle this summer.  Due to my own choices I only used it twice this year.  There was a little learning curve regarding the set up.  But I'm sure after another try or two it'll be no different then the learning curve I had setting up a tree stand.  As far as shooting out of it I didn't have any issue.  You really can shoot 360 degrees around the tree with very little movement.

I hunt public land and have to either take my stand down after every hunt or I can only leave it up for a few days in a row.  Regardless, the saddle is a much lighter option for me both in hanging and carrying it in.  It fits in my pack and I don't even know it's there.  The only thing I need to figure out is the climbing.  I'm currently using API sticks.  Lots of saddle hunters are using steps that strap or screw into the tree.

Check out www.saddlehunter.com for way more information as well as "G2 outdoors" on YouTube.  Lots of great information over there!

-Jeremy :coffee:
Pslam 46:10

"A real man rejects passivity and takes responsibility to lead, provide, protect, and teach expecting to receive the greater reward." Dr. Robert Lewis

Offline joel0711

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2018, 01:31:45 PM »
Got a Mantis, very secure--I'm trying to get use to my climbing system and ROS--I got the Silent approach climbing system and ROS---Very light after carrying 30 plus pound stand :goldtooth:

Offline BRONZ

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2018, 07:51:41 PM »
I appreciate the info all. I've been researching quite a bit. May be my off-season project.
"He trains my hands for battle; my arms can bend a bow of bronze."
2 Samuel 22:35

Wheatland Christian Bowhunters--Chairman

Offline Tom1958

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2018, 11:17:20 AM »
I appreciate the info all. I've been researching quite a bit. May be my off-season project.

Do it!
I'm a huge fan of my Aerohunter Kestrel and Thethrd Predator (3 pound mini platform)
Check out some of the posts in the other thread inquiring about Mantis saddles.

Offline Roger9070

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2018, 09:58:41 PM »
I have been hunting from a saddle for a least 3 years now and I wouldn't go back to a traditional stand.  I find the mobility, accessibility, and portability allow me to hunt in more places than a traditional treestand.  I have also been able to reduce what I carry in my vehicle and what I carry into the woods.  Once set up in a hunting location you can shoot or maneuver depending on the size of the tree almost 360 degrees around the tree.

They are light-weight, quiet, safe, and comfortable and have allowed me to hunt locations that I couldn't get a climber or hang on stand setup.  I also like the fact that at all times you have three points of contact your feet on a step or platform and the rope to the bridge and this makes you feel secure moving or shooting from a saddle. 

One of the great things is using this system you can set up multiple locations preseason and then use the saddle to hunt all the locations or if you prefer a run and gun approach you can use hang on sticks or Wild Edge steps.  It is an extremely versatile and effective way to hunt and can allow you to hunt further and farther than before.

If anyone has any specific question they can PM me and I would be glad to help in any way possible but I truly believe that a saddle should be in every bowhunters toolbox!

Good Luck, Thanks.

The older I get, the more I cherish each day in the woods, and each encounter with the animals I pursue!  I look forward to learning and becoming a better hunter and woodsman by immersing myself in their world and leaving the modern world behind.

Offline Onestringer

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2019, 09:38:11 AM »
Hunted 90% out of a saddle this year.  Way better than a climber and its fun bouncing to different trees all the time.  I am hooked, won't go back.  I have the Aero Hunter Kestrel and a Tethrd Platform.  There is a ton of information on youtube and a whole forum dedicated to saddle hunting.
Sights, SIGHTS, we don't need no stinkin sights!!!!!

If Geronimo shot a Black Widow, you would be speaking Apache.

TGMM Family of the Bow

http://www.onestringer.com

Offline Burly

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2019, 11:18:33 AM »
My son uses a Tetherd Mantis, it's a great way to hunt. In fact he is selling his climber and regular tree stands.

Offline Longbowwally

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2019, 08:06:39 PM »
Over the years I've had a tree suit, Guidos Web and this fall I bought a tethered Mantis with predator platform. I killed deer with recurve and longbow out of the Tree suit and Guidos, so they definitely work for trad shooters.

Some folks love them, some don't like them - I'm one of the latter.

Sold my Mantis after one hunt. It is a good saddle as far as saddles go but I just finally figured out saddle hunting is not for me. I got caught up in all the hype with the Mantis is why I tried saddles again. I did like the predator platform - definitely an improvement over tree steps or steps on a strap for your feet.

As far as compactness and low weight - yes the saddle itself is lightweight but it requires some form of climbing method....Sticks plus saddle plus ropes plus carabiners and some kind of platform for your feet really adds up to within a few pounds of a lightweight climber or hang on with sticks.

I highly recommend you try one out before purchasing(set it up at hunting height) and spend more than 5 minutes in one to really figure out if its for you or not.

« Last Edit: January 02, 2019, 09:23:08 PM by Longbowwally »
LONG LIVE THE LONGBOW!

Wally Holmes

Offline amicus

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2019, 12:30:16 PM »
The Idea of being able to move from tree to tree is very appealing. But, for me I tried the tree saddle and there is a learning curve that I could not overcome. I think you really have to practice shooting with one before you go out and actually hunt. Also a lot of movement is involved to get ready to shoot. I prefer a stand. I have a friend that uses a tree saddle and loves it. Just not for me.
The blessing of the Lord, it maketh rich and He addeth no sorrow with it. Prov 10;22

A sinner saved by Grace.

Offline Doug_K

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2019, 01:23:12 PM »
Been curious myself this past year, and my curiosity finally got the best of me. Put in an order for a kestrel last week. I'll have all spring and summer to see if it's for me or not.

As for weight, unless you're strictly hunting pre sets, you're carrying  (or should be) your lineman's rope, tether, and harness in addition to your 10-20lb hang on and sticks, or 15-25lb climber. Should be room for lots of weight savings on those long hikes.

Closest you can probably get is the upcoming beast stand and sticks--at 3x the price.

60" W&W Black Wolf 55#
64" Bamabows Hunter 52#
60" Bamabows Expedition III 52#
70" Bamabows Hunter 55#
60" A.D.M Earth 63#

Offline hickstick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2019, 04:18:02 PM »
YUP.  I have a Kestrel and a DIY SitDrag-R/C harness.  19 hunts out of 21 in 2018 out of the Kestrel (other two were ground/still hunting). you definitely have to practice to familiarize yourself with shooting a stickbow out of the saddle but its actually easier than you'd think.
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe.

Offline Roger9070

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: January 03, 2019, 09:57:40 PM »
I find that many are reluctant to try a saddle because it is a real paradigm shift from traditional treestands.  If you give it a fair trial you will find that the saddle has many advantages and you can get into places that ladders, hang on, and climbers are not able to.  One of the reasons I was so keen to use a saddle was due to the area of South Eastern New Jersey I hunt better known as the Pine Barrens.  You can rarely find a straight limb free tree for a climber or hang on stand and a ladder stand gives away your location to fellow hunters.

The saddle allows me to get into locations that I couldn't get into before and allows me to keep my hunting locations as secretive as possible.  Also, you can set up multiple preset locations using tree steps and climbing sticks, or run and gun using muddy sticks, Wild Edge steps, or where legal tree spikes.  The Saddle is an extremely versatile hunting system that allows you to customize it to your hunting situation or your preferred hunting style as well.

Yes, it does require a little bit of a learning curve but so do all tree stands except perhaps a ladder stand but I think the advantages are worth it.  There are also many ways to customize the system to be as ultralight as possible or anywhere in between. The saddle lends itself to getting into the most unconventional hunting spots while still allowing you to hunt comfortably and safely.

Another advantage is that you can wear it in and it won't make any noise as a metal stand does going through the brush and it is your stand and lineman's belt.  I find that it is much easier to walk into my hunting locations with my saddle on and carrying a set of Muddy Pro sticks than a climber or hang on stand. If you use preset locations you can even go in lighter carrying only your bow a pack and the saddle.

I have an AeroHunter Evolution, Kestrel, and Kite and I like and use all of them.  I think if you give a saddle a try you will find it can help you in many hunting situations as well and you just might find yourself reaching for the saddle more than your climber or hang on stand.

Good Hunting    >>>------------>   
The older I get, the more I cherish each day in the woods, and each encounter with the animals I pursue!  I look forward to learning and becoming a better hunter and woodsman by immersing myself in their world and leaving the modern world behind.

Offline deerfly

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: January 03, 2019, 10:46:42 PM »
I'm a converted saddle hunter too, best thing I ever did and I just turned 61. Not for everyone and does require some learning curve. I took it another level learning how to use arborist SRT climbing technique and rated gear, which if you have suitable trees with enough low level limbs eliminates the need for steps or sticks to ascend and descend the tree. I can't use SRT all the places I hunt but when I can its the lightest possible setup otherwise I use either sticks or steps. Regardless of how you climb or whether you use a regular lock-on platform or one of the smaller platforms the saddle and tether is the key, which is safer than a fall arrest system but also allows you to safely go off platform and shoot all around the tree. Once you practice this a couple feet of the ground then take it up the tree its hard not to love.

Offline PistolPete

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: January 04, 2019, 07:37:43 AM »
I use the DIY SitDrag/rock climbing harness with a Lone Wolf Hand Climber seat as a foot platform. I also use the harness and foot platform to climb with so I don’t have to carry any extra sticks. It’s the smallest and lightest possible solution for long hikes in, but it isn’t the easiest or simplest method of climbing. I like the trade off if I’m hiking more than a half mile or so. With a second tether you can safely climb above limbs, too.

Offline deerfly

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: January 04, 2019, 10:42:07 AM »
I have used the LW hand climber seat too, but it needs some weight cantilevered on it to hold its position on the tree as it does when you stand on it. Some lock-ons have the same issue as do climbers. Once you go off the platform the base is only biting the tree with its own weight on the cam strap and platform teeth. If you go off the base and push off on from the sides with your feet to maneuver around the tree the base will slip and even drop some. I have tried cinching the base with a ratchet strap, which will keep the base from descending without you, but its still problematic and would take several paragraphs to explain all the scenarios.

I agree hand climber base is an option, but it is far from ideal and is not safe unless you use SRT gear as your tether system girth hitched to the trunk while you ascend. Otherwise if the platform slips either while climbing or when you go off to shoot around the tree you might have to shimmy down the tree with legs and arms, but only after shimming back up enough to get your weight off the tether to disconnect it to then be able to shimmy down. Bad situation to be in unless you are very, very athletic.

I think using a one stick method or a few steps with aiders and mini platform like the predator with SRT gear as your tether is less trouble and about the same weight or just slightly more than the hand climber. The SRT gear makes the whole operation very safe as you can just belay to the ground no matter what happens at the platform level or with your climbing method. You can also reascend on the SRT gear if need be to retrieve any junk remaining up in the tree after a mishap. :)

If you're already a stick and lock-on user the saddle or a rock climbing harness and tether system alone as a replacement to your fall arrest harness will give you freedom and safety to shoot around the tree like you never experienced. Its a game changer. Further experimenting with steps or modified sticks and aiders, mini-platfrms etc is secondary to the saddle and tether's function on the tree. IMO that is the big deal with saddle hunting, flexibility and safety at hunting height, not overall weight savings with the complete system.

Offline Tedd

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: January 04, 2019, 10:44:50 AM »
Wonder what I am doing wrong? I got the Kestrel with all the bells and whistles. I never got past the trial period just hanging 3' off the ground. It just felt awkward. I tried it 4-5 times but then lost interest.
Do you all use knee pads? I had not tried it with knee pads. It's been on the shelf unused since June.
 Maybe I need to try again. It sound like you can shoot behind you better than a treestand? I had numerous time this year where I could not get a shot off at deer that were in range but I couldn't get around the tree.
 Tedd

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©