3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: onX Hunt app?  (Read 2499 times)

Offline Krex1010

• Trad Bowhunter
onX Hunt app?
« on: December 26, 2018, 09:40:17 AM »
Don’t mean to get too techy on a traditional forum...but does anyone use the onX app? Seems kinda cool, I used up the free trial but am unsure if it’s worth the cost.
"You can't cheat the mountain pilgrim"

Offline twitchstick

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: onX Hunt app?
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2018, 11:35:28 AM »
I have used it this past year. I found it surprisingly handy. There is a lot of private land where I hunt so it makes it nice to find access to public ground. Great for marking my stands(finding in the dark) and elk wallows etc.. I like the off line map mode because there is not much cell service outside of town. Found it on sale for I think for 14 bucks well worth the money
« Last Edit: December 26, 2018, 11:40:30 AM by twitchstick »

Offline buckeyebowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2018, 11:41:38 AM »
I have it and use it quite frequently. Helped me discover public ground not 10 minutes from my house that I never even knew existed. I too used the free trial and then purchased the standard version for 30 dollars. Worth every penny in my opinion.

Offline Krex1010

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2018, 01:43:45 PM »
Thanks guys. It seems like a good resource, may have to buy it.
"You can't cheat the mountain pilgrim"

Offline KSdan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2018, 01:57:46 PM »
I would actually say that this one tool has revolutionized hunting, particularly out west.  Knowing you are within 15 feet of a property line and even knowing who exactly owns that property and how to reach them is unbelievable.  As stated, you will even find accessible ground and even unique access to ground you never knew existed.

Dan in KS
If we're not supposed to eat animals ... how come they're made out of meat? ~anon

Bears can attack people- although fewer people have been killed by bears than in all WWI and WWII combined.

Offline Sapper1980

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2018, 02:29:46 PM »
Ditto on what everyone has stated.  I tend to use it in conjunction with either a Platt book or similar map...
Mike Lombard

Offline azhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2018, 02:56:42 PM »
I use it and it is great!

Offline LC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2018, 05:07:27 PM »
I use it, it's great times 2
Most people get rich by making more money than they have needs, me, I just reduced my needs!

Offline Doug_K

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2018, 06:18:11 PM »
Been using it for a few years. Bought the chip for my Garmin as well. Very useful and well worth the money imho.
60" W&W Black Wolf 55#
64" Bamabows Hunter 52#
60" Bamabows Expedition III 52#
70" Bamabows Hunter 55#
60" A.D.M Earth 63#

Offline Gooserbat

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2018, 07:27:10 PM »
Very valuable to me when hunting out of state or even out of town.
"Four fletch white feathers and 600 grains is a beautiful thing."

Offline Austin Brown

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 26, 2018, 08:30:58 PM »
Great app, I use it all the time on a couple big woods public areas near home.  Love the ability to download maps for using offline.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Joshua 24:15
As for me and my house,we will serve the Lord.

Offline WCHOFF

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2018, 02:02:10 PM »
I dont remember how to hunt public land without it.

Offline Dutchman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: December 27, 2018, 02:53:14 PM »
I did the free trial in the spring on a week long public land turkey hunt. I bought cheap version for my state only prior to the opening of our deer season and have not looked back. I love it.
Remember the Alamo!

Offline John Scifres

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: December 27, 2018, 03:32:16 PM »
There's a free app called HuntStand that has a free public lands layer I use.  It's great if you have cell service.  There's also a lot of counties in IN that use something called Elevate Parcel that shows private land ownership, again if you have service.
Take a kid hunting!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Tom1958

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: December 27, 2018, 07:15:03 PM »
I got it around Thanksgiving when it was on sale. I got the elite version because I wanted to use it in multiple states.
I do like it, but it isn't perfect.
Some of the road locations in one part of where I hunt in Ohio aren't shown correctly until you zoom in to the 100 foot range. At that point, it straightens out.
Another issue is the property lines are only as good as the tax map. Not all lines are shown correctly, but that isn't the fault of OnX. And one county where I hunt in Iowa shows no landowner details...again...I assume OnX isn't to blame. They can only provide data that the tax maps provide to them.
I will probably renew the Elite subscription when it expires.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Offline Bchunter1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: December 29, 2018, 07:26:16 PM »
It's a great app , my Garmin collects dust

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Roger9070

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: December 29, 2018, 09:30:24 PM »
I have been using this app since June and while it is an excellent app if you are used to traditional mapping programs in conjunction with a GPS unit there are some differences.  The one issue I found out right away if you have waypoints that you want to enter manually you can't change the coordinates in the text box you have to manually scroll to the location which is really time-consuming.   I did find a workaround by entering the coordinates in Base Camp and then importing them to OnX Hunt.

The maps are pretty good and for the most part up to date and they seem to update the program on a regular basis as well.  They have added some good features like weather and wind direction as well so for those that are looking for a good cell phone mapping and GPS app this is well worth the money.

The only area that I have found this app to be lacking is if you are a dinosaur like me and like to make and print your own maps this is definitely not the program you want to use.  All things considered, I think this app would work well for anyone who wants to scout, hunt, and explore public or private lands.

The older I get, the more I cherish each day in the woods, and each encounter with the animals I pursue!  I look forward to learning and becoming a better hunter and woodsman by immersing myself in their world and leaving the modern world behind.

Online Gdpolk

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
    • Polk Knives
« Reply #17 on: December 29, 2018, 10:26:34 PM »
I use mine all the time. It’s one of my most important tools in all honesty.
1pc and 2pc Sarrels Sierra Mountain Longbows - both 53.5lbs @ 29"

https://www.gpolkknives.com/

Offline BlacktailBowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: January 03, 2019, 11:48:18 PM »
It’s been worth every penny too me.

I had been driving right past huntable land for several years and once I got the app, it opened up several little parcels that I would never have known about.

Primarily BLM and some state land but also timber companies that I called and found out that they allow hunting.
Join a credible hunting organization, participate in it, and take a kid hunting. Member: U.S. Sportsmen's Alliance, NWTF, Oregon Hunter's Assn., Oregon Bow Hunters and  Oregon Foundation for Blacktailed Deer.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©