3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Anyone just not able to shoot a tab?  (Read 13547 times)

GCook

Re: Anyone just not able to shoot a tab?
« Reply #60 on: December 30, 2018, 12:12:26 PM »
I thought it was a great conversation.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

pavan

« Reply #61 on: December 30, 2018, 03:18:59 PM »
CORRECTION, I Typed Dr. Schulz, okay so I think about the things John Schulz told me quite often.  It Dr. Scholl's foot powder and it does not have talc.  The talcum powder that we were smothered with as babies was a hydrolyzed magnesium base, some even contained aluminum, which is an even more dangerous neurotoxin.  Powdering the glove works very well, most products these days are a corn starch and zinc base. 

Back to the subject, some like to 'feel' the string.  I have noticed that 'feeling' the string with a fast flight serving has a lot more 'feeling' to it than a B50 string with a B50 serving.  For me a heavy bow and a light tab ends up being a painful scenario after a bunch of shots and starts to effect my shooting.

If you ever want to hear an old woman say really nasty words, go ahead and touch my wife's American Leathers shooting glove with "your fat fingers".
« Last Edit: December 30, 2018, 03:25:38 PM by pavan »

Online Tom

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #62 on: January 01, 2019, 08:56:38 AM »
I seem to be opposite from the majority here as have been shooting tabs with occasional forays with gloves. Maybe the gloves were cheap ones but never liked the grooves that formed and found it hard to come off clean. Use my cordovan tabs even in colder weather with thin wool gloves quite well. Don't really care what someone else shoots equipment wise but tabs have worked for me over 50 years. Not a tournament shooter -just a hunter.
The essence of the hunt for me is to enter nature and observe+ return safely occasionally with the gift of a life taken.

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #63 on: January 01, 2019, 12:47:06 PM »
Could never get used to gloves.  Tabs for me.  I like to feel the string and with a glove I always felt like it was too far from my face. 

I'm sure I could get used to the glove but just like trying 3 under, i never gave it enough time
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Online Tedd

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #64 on: January 01, 2019, 02:07:28 PM »
Tabs?  Isn't that how the plague started?
I tried again with a BW tab last summer. I kept trimming it trying to keep it from slapping me. By the time I threw it away I  had fired an arrow over towards the neighbor's place and tore my lips and nose off. Implement of self destruction, same as 3 under and fixed crawl. can't do any of that. It just isn't right.
Tedd

Online kennym

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #65 on: January 01, 2019, 02:28:00 PM »
I've tried a tab, and it wasn't me...  Buuut you should try em and see what works best for you.

The buck I shot last week didn't know I left my fave glove in the shop while testing another bow, I had a pair of lined fleece gloves in the truck so a couple shots with a judo to see if I was on and I went hunting... :)
Stay sharp, Kenny.

https://www.kennysarchery.com/

pavan

« Reply #66 on: January 01, 2019, 02:45:16 PM »
I knew an archer that always showed with ten or twelve cordovan tabs in his shirt pocket, every one was just a little different, but all the same classic shape.  Try that with ten or twelve shooting gloves.

Online The Whittler

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #67 on: January 01, 2019, 03:05:53 PM »
For me with a tab there is no break in time, new tab shoot a couple arrows and I'm good to go. With a glove about the time it started o get broken in it was time foe a new one. Tabs just last longer for me, like almost forever.

arrow30

« Reply #68 on: January 01, 2019, 05:39:37 PM »
I started with a tab, switched to glove, switched back to a tab, switched back to a glove, im back with a tab.  really makes no difference , when I screw up its my fault. but a tab is easier to get in and out of your pocket when its cold and pushing buttons on a camera.

Offline Kevin Winkler

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #69 on: January 01, 2019, 05:44:41 PM »
Almost forgot... don't try to save money. A cheap glove or tab won't last and it won't teach you a thing.

I have to agree with Charlie. I struggled for several years with which to use. When I used a tab the string would hit my nose because I was tighter into my face. After trying 8 or 10 different tabs I now just shoot a glove. I found that the Bear Paw glove fits me best.
PBS Associate, Ask me about The Professional Bowhunters Society; we stand for ethics.
Life Member, WI Traditional Archers
Life Member, WI Bowhunters Association

Offline Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #70 on: January 01, 2019, 06:04:20 PM »
who could care whether you use a glove or a tab???

well, you.

should you take advice as how to protect yer string fingers?  NO.  opinions of others are just that.  there is no fast food way around a lotta things in life and this is one of them.  be brave, buck up friend, and make decisions based on personal fact and not the hearsay of others,

this is yet another subjective choice in life and i just know yer gonna make the right choice, because what ever it is, it'll be the best one you'll ever make for ----- YOU. 

:clapper:  :campfire:

IAM ~ The only government I trust is my .45-70 ... and my 1911.

Offline hitman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #71 on: January 01, 2019, 08:27:46 PM »
I shoot a glove and cut the ends off the fingers, just cannot do the tab.k
Black Widow PSAX RH 58" 47#@28
Samick Sage 62" 40#@28"
PSA Kingfisher RH 45#@28
Treadway longbow RH 60" 46#at 28"
W.Va. Bowhunters Association life member
Pope and Young associate member
Mississippi Traditional Bowhunters life member

Online Mike Bolin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #72 on: January 01, 2019, 08:49:32 PM »
A glove is more comfortable/natural for me...of course I started with a glove, so I am sure that has something to do with it. Since early October I have been shooting a tab, not daily but real close. Went out to do  little stump shooting this past weekend and realized I'd left my tab on the work bench. I keep a spare shooting glove in my truck so I grabbed it and off I went. Shot better than I have since, well, early October.
I am sure that if I had started off shooting a tab back in '84 I would be a dyed in the wool tab shooter. As Terry said, a tab or glove is just protection for the fingers. One of my buddies shot 70#+ selfbows for years with bare fingers. He shoots a homemade tab now that he cuts from scrap leather he gets at the craft store. Just use whatever works the best for you and have fun!
Centaur longbow 62", 43#@28"
River Raisin Siren, 60", 41#@28"
Osage Selfbow 62", 47#@28
Compton Traditional Bowhunters

Offline Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #73 on: January 01, 2019, 09:59:53 PM »
here's what we he-man use ....  :shaka:

:deadhorse:  :laughing:
IAM ~ The only government I trust is my .45-70 ... and my 1911.

Offline deerfly

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #74 on: January 04, 2019, 11:23:57 PM »
switching to a tab was the best thing I ever did. Jeff Massie suggested I try one when I bought one of his longhorn longbows back in 2001 or 2002. Haven't shot with a glove since. I tried my old super glove a couple years ago before giving it away. Felt like I was wearing a catchers mitt.

I still have the cordovan tab I bought from big ed at Alaska Bowhunting supply back then too. They are easy to make from scrap leather. So I a few have spares around if I need them as well.

I can also shoot bare fingers well enough that I don't need it to hunt with a tab. I have either forgot my tab or dropped it once up in a stand and just leave it until I climb down. I've practiced enough without a tab that it doesn't bother me or get in my head if I don't have it.

Can't imagine ever using a glove again.

Offline TGbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #75 on: January 04, 2019, 11:31:27 PM »
I used a glove for 40 yrs but switched to a tab a couple yrs ago.

It was a slow transition for me. I did have a problem at first with the tab slapping my face. I didnt have it trimmed enough.
Nothing wrong with a glove but if you keep slappibg your face with a tab, something just needs to be adjusted...trimming may help. Also, with a tab it allows you to get your hand closer to the face..if you collapse upon release at all...the tab can slap you.

Offline SL

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #76 on: January 09, 2019, 09:43:16 PM »
I shot a glove starting out and for a lot of years. I eventually went to a tab. The tab was a lot more consistent for me. I just shot better, I couldn't argue the results. It did take a while to get use to the tab. I still have an old glove I shoot once in a while just to see if I feel the same way. I always go back to the tab. Whatever works for you is the correct choice.

Offline 1Arrow1Kill

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Too Young to Be This Damn Old!
« Reply #77 on: January 10, 2019, 07:02:23 PM »
Rather like my Fred Eichler cordovan solid tab as it works well for me shooting 3-under.  Here's some of what I like about my tab:

I can quickly and easily turn it around on my middle finger which allows me almost complete use of my right/dominant hand.  Helps when pulling arrows, reaching into my hunting pack, reaching into my pocket, etc.  (Try not to pick my nose  :nono:)

Goes quickly and stays well in my jacket pocket when the hunt is over.  Comes out of my pocket and install quickly when needed.

I slide an arrow through the finger opening and then place the arrow with tab into my practice quiver when practice is over for the day.  The tab hangs securely in vision until my next practice session.  My practice quiver goes with me to archery deer camp, so my tab remains with me.

I can wear a light glove on my right hand under my tab when the MI weather turns colder.  I don't find myself needing a glove often, but its comfortable when walking in/out of the woods.

I can write scores better on a 3D course when my tab is rotated.

I do carry a glove as a back-up in my hunting pack.  Shoot it rather well.

Note:  I generally discredit and tune-out folks when they use use words like 'always', 'never', 'best', 'worst' when telling their 'stories'.  There are exceptions to 'always' and 'never' and there are folks/items better and poorer than 'best' and 'worst'.  Those words tend to raise a red flag for me and cause me to question the credibility of the presented information.   :archer2:

Practice - Practice - Practice - Beer!  Seems to work for me.

I Become the Tree until I Become the Arrow.
Practice - Practice - Practice - Beer.  Works for me . . .

GCook

« Reply #78 on: January 10, 2019, 07:23:30 PM »
Practice and beer.  The secret of champions!
I couldn't agree more.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Offline 1Arrow1Kill

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Too Young to Be This Damn Old!
« Reply #79 on: January 10, 2019, 07:33:49 PM »
Not sure the 'practice and beer' will get me to Champion level, but I do enjoy good competition.

Wait, at my age, real sure the 'practice and beer' will NOT get me to Champion level. 

Wait, I'm heading for another beer, so I can better evaluate this maddening idea!   :o
I Become the Tree until I Become the Arrow.
Practice - Practice - Practice - Beer.  Works for me . . .

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©