3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Anyone just not able to shoot a tab?  (Read 13568 times)

Offline mec lineman

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Anyone just not able to shoot a tab?
« Reply #40 on: December 28, 2018, 02:22:41 PM »
I think he is talking about American Leathers. I love Gloves ,i have a deep hook and the ones that hold up for me the best(groove) are the ones with  nylon on fingers
"Pick a spot,now aim 6" lower!"                        
Caribow taiga ex
Tall Tines Stickflinger
Yellowstone Halfbreed

P.B.S  member

Online Hermon

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #41 on: December 28, 2018, 02:31:18 PM »
I think he is talking about American Leathers. I love Gloves ,i have a deep hook and the ones that hold up for me the best(groove) are the ones with  nylon on fingers

I don't disagree that the American Leathers gloves (and many others) are quality gloves, but I just can't get used to any glove with plastic in the finger stalls.  I have tried a Big Shot and a Crossover.  I can't feel the string at all and feel like I have no control. 

Much prefer several different style tabs over gloves. 

That is one of the beautiful things about traditional archery, we can all shoot what we like the best.

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #42 on: December 28, 2018, 02:36:21 PM »

That is one of the beautiful things about traditional archery, we can all shoot what we like the best.

Right, correct and not rely on Band-Aids and Magic  :jumper:
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #43 on: December 28, 2018, 03:19:13 PM »
Real trad archers don't use tabs or gloves!

It's bare fingers for me and my 80# longbow..

:laughing:

Well Ok, maybe I use a Bateman 3 under tab with cordovan leather.

My tab is 10 years old, over 10,000 shots, and there is no sign of wear or any kind of groove worn in it.

Buy the best and only cry once.

Offline 9 Shocks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #44 on: December 28, 2018, 04:36:54 PM »
I bounce back and forth.  Glove tab glove tab...I have found with a tab that my left misses decrease significantly due to getting tighter in to my face.  I am liking a tab more and more but I don't like losing them LOL.

Shoot what ya can!
60” Bear Mag Takedown 47@28
58” Schafer Silvertip recurve 47@27
58" Primaltech Longbow 48@28

Online Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #45 on: December 28, 2018, 10:03:25 PM »
Get one glove and one tab. Shoot until you decided what you like. Put the other one away and leave it there.
It ain't majic and it ain't rocket science.
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Online Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #46 on: December 28, 2018, 10:05:14 PM »
Almost forgot... don't try to save money. A cheap glove or tab won't last and it won't teach you a thing.
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Offline Tajue17

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #47 on: December 29, 2018, 07:51:04 AM »
I remember when I was young I was getting beat all the time at shoots by guys with tabs,, so I tried the hottest tab at the time I think it was called a super archery tab?   anyway first shot the tab came back and slapped the side of the mouth so hard I took it off and handed it to whoever it was standing next to me....  had a dang welt on the side of my face all day!! 

I guess like tabs not all gloves are the same I have about 40 gloves hanging here that I bought an tried a few times and they just didn't feel right, the only glove I like is a traditional deer skin archery glove which I preferred the Martin archery gloves the best until they stopped making them,,, I like these gloves loose  where they can slide off my fingers when I put my hand down..... I have a couple that I soaked and stretched out so I can wear thin gloves under them..

tabs are fine, gloves are finer but those thumb rings are just TOO COOL  :thumbsup:
"Us vs Them"

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #48 on: December 29, 2018, 08:01:32 AM »
Yes sir, those were all the guys that got beat by Howard and his mystical magical glove. :goldtooth:

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

Offline Tajue17

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #49 on: December 29, 2018, 02:54:00 PM »
If you meant me nah ive never been beat by anyone shooting a hill that i can remember because nobody shot them i was getting tooled by the century 21 and matlock shooters shooting acc’s back im those days :biglaugh:
"Us vs Them"

pavan

« Reply #50 on: December 29, 2018, 05:54:38 PM »
The American Leathers gloves with the nylon strap finger tips, get a really smooth release if they are powder coated and they hold the powder very nicely.  I prefer the Dr. Schulz travel size foot powder.  Even though I always have a little shaker of foot powder with me, I would not advise that anyone stick their nose in my hunting boots.   On the flip side, I have a Groves recurve that I shoot better with a KantPinch tab.   

Online Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #51 on: December 29, 2018, 06:55:10 PM »
Be careful! Talcum powder killed Howard Hill.
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Offline A Lex

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #52 on: December 29, 2018, 07:19:34 PM »
I guess I'm the other way, I can't get comfy with a glove.

I started with a Tab, mainly due to not liking the idea of using a glove in really hot weather. Been using a Tab (3 under) pretty much ever since.

Did have a play with a Deer skin glove for a very short while, like a couple of days. It was ok, but I was not consistant with it it all, the shot just never felt right. If I had chosen to persevere, no doubt I could have worked it out and gotten along with it just fine, but the tab was doing everything right for me so I didn't see the need to change.

I guess that's another way we are all quite unique, we all like and happily use different stuff................... and that's just fine  :bigsmyl:

Best
Lex
Good hunting to you all.
May the wind be your friend, and may your arrows fly true,
Most of all, may the appreciation and the gratitude of what we do keep us humble......

Offline BWallace10327

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #53 on: December 29, 2018, 08:49:34 PM »
Shoot for one month without a tab or a glove and I'll bet you'd be happy to have either.   :biglaugh:
***$ Brent Wallace $***
NRA Life Time Member

Offline McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #54 on: December 29, 2018, 11:37:32 PM »
Shoot for one month shot without a tab or a glove and I'll bet you'd be happy to have either.   :biglaugh:

Corrected it for you!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Technology....the knack of arranging the world so that we don't have to experience it.

Macatawa

« Reply #55 on: December 30, 2018, 09:15:37 AM »
Didn’t plan for this to go this way, Fellas. 

I was just curious to see if others struggle to use a tab and it be as comfortable as a glove to them.

I do have an opinion on the tab vs glove and release and it is in line with Dave’s.  I’ve shot gloves and tabs on and off and the glove is what in more comfortable with, but I’ve always liked how a tab doesn’t develop as bad of a grove where the string lies.  I’ve seen it happen tons of times.  I don’t necessarily believe one if per say better than the next, but I do believe there is a reason you don’t see gloves in Olympic archery. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good thread Daniel.. :thumbsup:
lotsa opinions here based on personal preferences / experience.

My introduction to the "glove" was in the midst of the original Howard Hill thread back a few years ago.  Got me an ASL from HH Archery that was around 60#@27".  Having been away from shooting for mebbee ten years I found that bow to be too much for me to pull comfortably for more than a few shots at a time

I had been a tab user prior to that going way back to the early 70s.   I had always been a tab shooter (Kant-Pinch mostly)  but decided to try a glove with my longbow.  I bought a couple different varieties from American Leathers and they all worked well.

Fast forward to these past couple years, I found my ability to pull 60# (or even 55) was hampered by an increasing pain in my right shoulder at full draw (gettin' old)  so, like some of you here I began the a draw weight downgrade to where I am now - pulling 41#@27".

I have tried to use my gloves with the lighter bows I shoot now but they were too cumbersome.   Seemed to me there was not enough weight at full draw to facilitate a clean release.  My lightest glove went to the St Jude auction.  Went back to the tab....waaay bettah!

Rob D is a tab shooter...he also shoots lightweight longbows that he hunts with ...and some refined target bows that would require a bit of finesse (feel) to realize any degree of accuracy.  I suspect the Olympic archers need to "feel" the string but we are hunters, eh?

I will echo "to each his own" and leave it at that. :wavey:

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #56 on: December 30, 2018, 10:01:44 AM »
It doesn't bother me too much when these personal preference items turn into a debate as long as people don't get overly testy with their posts. The reason I say this is simple. Newbies hear many arguments on each side of the debate, which tends to encourage them to try different things for themselves rather than simply accepting one "expert's" unquestioned opinion. In short, it teaches them to find what they actually prefer through trying it for themselves. Or as Tony so aptly stated, "To each, his own".
Sam

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #57 on: December 30, 2018, 10:15:31 AM »
Yes I am that's what I've been trying to play the whole time. I really don't understand the comment about which way this thread is going. I thought we're all pretty much saying the same thing comment to find what works for you then neither is best for everyone..... and not sweat the small stuff. 

As far as taking experts advise, there's been several mentioned on this thread and they all don't use the same finger protection. Again, Point proven and no reason to throw either finger protection item under the bus.

I'm sorry if somebody got their feelings hurt, I thought we were just all having fun.

Offline tzolk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #58 on: December 30, 2018, 10:16:59 AM »
"Anyone just not able to shoot a tab?"

Yep.
64" Toelke SSLR
64” Toelke Whip SL
Great Northern Quivers only!

All the best!
Todd Z

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #59 on: December 30, 2018, 11:05:29 AM »
The same thing arises over the Best  aiming Style. Gene and Barry Wensel are twins, 1 uses the Gap method and the other uses the instinctive method. So each of those two Eileen styles is either successful, or they're both unsuccessful. You decide. So arguing over it is absolutely pointless.

:campfire: :campfire: :campfire:

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©