3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Anyone just not able to shoot a tab?  (Read 13546 times)

Offline Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
Re: Anyone just not able to shoot a tab?
« Reply #80 on: January 10, 2019, 08:07:09 PM »
the thing is, once a glove or tab or whatever "speaks" to you, yer home and nothing else will do, literally forever. 

each of us can break it down and show why something works "best" for each of us, and that's a good, personal thing.  nothing else should and won't matter.

the not-so-good thing is if yer sittin' on a fence and can't seem to decide what yer string hand will wear.  in that case, you ain't shot enuf arras yet.  keep at it and you'll eventually know what will get wrapped around string hand fingers, and the bowstring.  don't just stand at a butt and shoot, rove the woods, get into a more hunting situation and give that fingers protection a good work out.

:archer2:

IAM ~ The only government I trust is my .45-70 ... and my 1911.

Offline flyonline

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #81 on: January 11, 2019, 09:52:24 PM »
....  don't just stand at a butt and shoot, rove the woods, get into a more hunting situation and give that fingers protection a good work out.

That's what convinced me to go with a tab over a glove even though I shoot both about the same considering +'s and -'s of both at the range. I wear gloves nearly every hunt, mostly for hand protection from vegetation and I also use my phone as camera, GPS, tracker etc. while hunting. With a glove, I had to take it off, do whatever, then put it back on again whereas with a tab I can simply spin it around my finger and leave it out of the way and takes very little movement. I now hunt with my tab on pretty much all the time so it can't fall out of my pocket while crawling on hands and knees and I don't have to go fumbling in my pocket if I manage to get in close to game without realising it.

Just gotta remember to take in the first place though  :laughing:

GCook

« Reply #82 on: January 12, 2019, 09:34:58 AM »
Too many people on here assume because you haven't been on here long or have a low post count that your experience is somehow lesser.
Personally my trad experience is less than many.  My bowhunting experience is more than many though.  That said more of my hundreds of bow kills over the last 3 decades were under 20 yards than over.  All of my traditional kills have been u der 20 yards.
Please don't try to invalidate a person just because they are new in the neighborhood.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Offline deerfly

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #83 on: January 12, 2019, 12:59:54 PM »
GCook, too many people, really?

If you're calling me out my point was more about who has the moral high ground to challenge others credibility on what amounts to human nature.

Who among us hasn't bought a new bow and said we'd never sell it?

I've said it at least a dz times in the last 20 years and lied every time. Is my opinion not credible then?

The low post count part of that is about throwing your weight around when few would know much about you as opposed to what you may actually know and have credentials to speak on. There's very little history here to read between the lines and again the critique used was subjective at best and an insult to many at worst.

Who steps up to a campfire and starts questioning the credibility of those around the fire already telling their stories?

Where I come from that's almost a certain ass whooping.

ftr, 1arrow pm'd me with a very cordial message and explanation and I replied in kind. There's no problem between us best I can tell.

Lastly, its very out of character for me to even bother responding the way I did and I'm still not sure what rubbed me wrong enough to bother responding in this case either. Regardless, I did respond and I stand by my comments for the reasons I just articulated. - eric

Offline 1Arrow1Kill

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Too Young to Be This Damn Old!
« Reply #84 on: January 12, 2019, 03:37:36 PM »
Hello My Brothers.  I still vote for my cordovan tab. I also vote for PEACE and GOODWILL toward ALL MEN!  Never meant to challenge anyone's credibility, just some of the information presented (as stated in my original post).  Boys will be Boys (don't wanna grow up) and we each have differing life experiences.  We each also like or dislike differing things and ideas.  My wife's been teaching me for 39 years that 'My Way' is right for me, but that doesn't mean that 'My Way' is the 'ONLY' way, or that it's 'Right for Others'.  I say. 'I'm learning' . . . she says, 'Not so much'.  She Wins . . . AGAIN!

1Arrow1Kill - OUT!  Time to Practice . . .  :archer2: 
I Become the Tree until I Become the Arrow.
Practice - Practice - Practice - Beer.  Works for me . . .

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #85 on: January 12, 2019, 08:09:09 PM »
 :thumbsup:

Offline nineworlds9

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Northman
« Reply #86 on: January 12, 2019, 11:45:11 PM »
Im a glove man, but only for practice at home and shoots.  When im hunting i only wear a thin camo glove thats slick enough for a few hunting shots.  And besides if my fingers are so tender I cant take a hunting shot with a 50# bow ive got bigger problems.   :biglaugh:  i hate tabs for splitfinger.  They feel cumbersome. 
52" Texas Recurve
58" Two Tracks Ogemaw
60" Toelke Chinook
62" Tall Tines Stickflinger
64" Big Jim Mountain Monarch
64" Poison Dart LB
66" Wes Wallace Royal

Horse Creek TAC, GA
TBOF

Offline scott myers

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #87 on: January 13, 2019, 03:08:54 AM »
I shot a glove back in my compound days.  It worked really well.  Starting using a recurve to bowfish and kept the glove.  Not sure why I tried a tab but about 10 years ago I did and that’s what I use currently.  Both work well, both feel good but I prefer the tab.  I also practice bare fingers as well just in case I ever forget my tabs when I hit the woods. 

pavan

« Reply #88 on: January 13, 2019, 05:38:58 AM »
An odd thing that I ran into this year.  About 18 or 20 years ago a bowhunter came and talked to me about boots.  The shoe fixer in town told him that his favorite hunting boots were a lost cause and they could no longer be patched up.  He said that they were his 16th birthday present  and they were only boots he owned.  He just couldn't part with them.  Remember those cordovan tabs with the sheep hide?  We turned one of his boots into an arm guard and the other we traced my tab and made two tabs out of the other boot top.  I ran into him this year over Thanksgiving.  His arm guard is that old boot top, and he was shooting a longbow with one of those cordovan tabs.  Does anyone make a cordovan tab with good boot grade leather?

GCook

« Reply #89 on: January 13, 2019, 05:46:09 AM »
Im a glove man, but only for practice at home and shoots.  When im hunting i only wear a thin camo glove thats slick enough for a few hunting shots.  And besides if my fingers are so tender I cant take a hunting shot with a 50# bow ive got bigger problems.   :biglaugh:  i hate tabs for splitfinger.  They feel cumbersome.
I agree.  I actually take a few practice shots with my fingers fairly regularly so I can be ready should the opportunity ever arise.

« Last Edit: January 13, 2019, 11:42:12 AM by GCook »

Offline Bladepeek

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #90 on: January 15, 2019, 09:40:18 AM »
I will only say that I wanted to try a tab, but kept getting slapped in the face; especially around the lips.
I found out the tab was way too long. Arnie Moe has a great video about tab length. When you curl your fingers they are on the outside of the curve and the tab needs to be shorter than the fingers.
Made all the difference in the world. I can shoot with either, but like the finger freedom I get with a tab.
If you do want to try a tab, it needs to be a lot shorter than you might think.
60" Bear Super K LH 40#@28
69" Matt Meacham LH 42@28
66" Swift Wing LH 35@28
54" Java Man Elk Heart LH 43@28
62"/58" RER LXR LH 44/40@28

Macatawa

« Reply #91 on: January 16, 2019, 01:33:22 PM »
the thing is, once a glove or tab or whatever "speaks" to you, yer home and nothing else will do, literally forever. 

each of us can break it down and show why something works "best" for each of us, and that's a good, personal thing.  nothing else should and won't matter.

the not-so-good thing is if yer sittin' on a fence and can't seem to decide what yer string hand will wear.  in that case, you ain't shot enuf arras yet.  keep at it and you'll eventually know what will get wrapped around string hand fingers, and the bowstring.  don't just stand at a butt and shoot, rove the woods, get into a more hunting situation and give that fingers protection a good work out.

Here 'tis...in a nutshell   :archer:

Macatawa

« Reply #92 on: January 16, 2019, 03:38:52 PM »
Too many people on here assume because you haven't been on here long or have a low post count that your experience is somehow lesser.
Personally my trad experience is less than many.  My bowhunting experience is more than many though.  That said more of my hundreds of bow kills over the last 3 decades were under 20 yards than over.  All of my traditional kills have been u der 20 yards.
Please don't try to invalidate a person just because they are new in the neighborhood.

Yep...!!   :wavey:

Macatawa

« Reply #93 on: January 16, 2019, 05:41:23 PM »
I shot a glove back in my compound days.  It worked really well.  Starting using a recurve to bowfish and kept the glove.  Not sure why I tried a tab but about 10 years ago I did and that’s what I use currently.  Both work well, both feel good but I prefer the tab.  I also practice bare fingers as well just in case I ever forget my tabs when I hit the woods.

Kinda like me.  I use what works...no matter what works for others.  Its all good but better when you choose by first-hand experience. 

Online Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #94 on: January 16, 2019, 07:10:19 PM »
I like a glove. l actually like a pretty substantial glove. But I can adapt pretty quickly when the need arises. Like when I forgot my glove one morning and needed something/anything to protect my fingers from the sting of the fairly heavy bows I prefer.
A business card and a pocket knife did the trick. I didn't have to use it, but there was a lot of peace of mind in that little piece of card stock.

Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Offline 1Arrow1Kill

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Too Young to Be This Damn Old!
« Reply #95 on: January 16, 2019, 07:19:20 PM »
Nice Charlie.  Necessity IS the mother of invention.  After a closer look, it appears you have the very first Harry S Truman tab.
I Become the Tree until I Become the Arrow.
Practice - Practice - Practice - Beer.  Works for me . . .

Online Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #96 on: January 16, 2019, 08:00:20 PM »
Well, you won't be seeing any tabs made from Benjamins any time soon. :saywhat:
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #97 on: January 16, 2019, 08:19:34 PM »
I'm confused now.

So I think I'll just order a thumb ring..

:laughing: :bigsmyl:

pavan

« Reply #98 on: January 17, 2019, 04:51:26 PM »
For really cold rabbit hunting, I found that a cordovan tab with rather stiff deer skin that is big enough to fit  over a moderately warm glove, gives a really good release.  I tried leather gloves, but mine are not warm enough and the string sinks in too deep. 

Offline Slickhead

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #99 on: January 17, 2019, 10:19:10 PM »
tried, didnt like it
Slickhead

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©