3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Aluminum arrows for Black Hunter longbow  (Read 6538 times)

Offline SDMay

• Trad Bowhunter
Aluminum arrows for Black Hunter longbow
« on: December 28, 2018, 11:10:53 AM »
First off good day to all who read this.  I have been creeping for a while and haven't a need to post anything till now.  I couldn't find an equipment only thread so if I am in the wrong spot please let me know.

I am finally biting the bullet and getting myself a Black Hunter Longbow.  45lb at 28". I have been shooting a Samick Sage at the same poundage with a 28" draw.  I am wondering if I am able to use the same arrows for both?  I have been shooting 400 spine Game Getter 2's cut to 30" with 145 grain field points and 160 grain Eskimos.  I was a compound shooter years ago and back in the day it was read the chart and pick your arrows.  That is what I did for the recurve and it seems to have worked as they fly really well.

By the chart with my point weight I should be shooting 2018 or 2114.  These are not available from my bow shop as all they keep for aluminums are Game Getter in the standard spines 340,400 and 500.  Should I drop down(?) to 500 or would my 400 be okay? 

Offline bigbadjon

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Aluminum arrows for Black Hunter longbow
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2018, 11:15:34 AM »
I would get the closest spine to what youthink you need and leave length or trim as needed. They can't order you some camo hunters or legacys? Those come in the spines you need.
Hoyt Tiburon 55#@28 64in
A&H ACS CX 61#@28in 68in (rip 8/3/14)

Offline SDMay

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2018, 11:41:45 AM »

When I talked to them all they had with feathers were the Gamegetters but a good idea is to see if they can order. I am an hour from one shop and an hour and a half from the other and I am the only trad shooter in my group so I am kind of flying by the seat of my pants with things.

Online durp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2018, 02:22:40 PM »
you could just wait till you get the new bow then see how ur arrows fly...if they dont fly well you can change point weight first before you buy different shafts.

you could also order from one of the sponsors here and build ur own

Offline SDMay

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2018, 02:44:12 PM »
you could just wait till you get the new bow then see how ur arrows fly...if they dont fly well you can change point weight first before you buy different shafts.

you could also order from one of the sponsors here and build ur own

I think that is what I will do.  It should be pretty close I think.

I would love to get the stuff and make my own but do not have the space at the time.  That is the plan in the future.  When it happens I will be looking to sponsors for parts and pieces but I live in Canada and in the middle of no where Canada (Google Dawson Creek.  We are Mile 0 of the Alaska highway), so between exchange and shipping it gets a bit out of hand.  I will for sure be checking things out before I order though.  Even getting the 145 grain field tips was a pain.

Thanks for the help gents.

Offline bigbadjon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2018, 04:31:37 PM »
I also assumed you fletched your own arrows. If you start rolling your own your options become much more vast.
Hoyt Tiburon 55#@28 64in
A&H ACS CX 61#@28in 68in (rip 8/3/14)

Offline SDMay

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2018, 05:11:09 PM »
I also assumed you fletched your own arrows. If you start rolling your own your options become much more vast.

Something that I really want to do.  This whole life could be a rabbit hole to fall down.

Offline Steve Clandinin

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2018, 11:01:53 AM »
Hey Shaun, first off welcome back to Traditional archery and Tradgang.The people on this site are second to none and are willing to help you through a lot of issues.I,vet been shooting recurves and longbows for close to 55 years.I live in Swift Current Saskatchewan and my son lives close to you in Grande Praire Alberta.I learned years ago to make all my own because of where I live.The black hunter longbows are excellent ,I have 2 of them.Thesponsors on this site are also excellent . I could list 15 or sponsors I deal with and all will give you excellent products and service.Keep your orders under 100.00 at a time and Canada customs will usually let it go. The older Easton spine charts were a little out as you can shoot lighter than what they suggest.I shoot 2114 and 2018,s out of 55-60pound bows at 28”. If you become truly dedicated definitely build your own, I can help you.
Quote from Howard Hill.( Whenever he taught someone to shoot) "Son make up your mind right now if you want to target shoot or hunt as theres a world of differance between the two"

Offline SDMay

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2018, 03:43:16 AM »
Thanks Steve for the reply. It is nice to hear good things about suppliers, especially sponsors of the page. Like I said exchange is a pain. I have been doing some looking though and I might get the stuff to make my own arrows. Is there any particular sponsors on here that would be better than others to order from. I would be looking for shafts and fletching.

Sounds like you have lots of experience with living “North of the border”.

Offline GRAYBEARD

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2018, 02:58:37 PM »
For my 45# Stewart longbow I have found 1916s with 175g out front to perform the best.
Happy New Year!
TGMM Family of the Bow; Make every heartbeat a party, the next one is not guaranteed!

Offline SDMay

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2018, 10:24:33 PM »
For my 45# Stewart longbow I have found 1916s with 175g out front to perform the best.
Happy New Year!

Thanks for the info. The whole arrow thing is way too confusing.

Offline Steve Clandinin

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2018, 12:34:27 AM »
Hey Shaun ,Jed ( Greybeard) is right,1916,s should be perfect for you setup.Ive had good luck on #bay, can usually find some good deals.
Quote from Howard Hill.( Whenever he taught someone to shoot) "Son make up your mind right now if you want to target shoot or hunt as theres a world of differance between the two"

Offline SDMay

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2018, 12:58:32 AM »
I will go looking for 1916’s then.

Thanks gents.

And Happy New Year as well.

« Last Edit: December 31, 2018, 01:47:49 AM by SDMay »

Offline SDMay

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: December 31, 2018, 01:52:13 AM »
Also would 1916 be okay to run with an 11/32 ferrule broadhead or do I have to get an adapter?

Offline Steve Clandinin

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: December 31, 2018, 10:09:59 AM »
No need for an adapter, it will work fine. Hope this all works out for ya.At first it all may seam confusing, after doing soon shooting and tuning it will all come together.

Online Kelly

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: December 31, 2018, 07:02:56 PM »
Because this bow is cut past center you will have troubles shooting 1916's out of it. Go with what you already have with those 400's but if you want to try something different try the 500's, which should also work for you.

2018's will be too stiff for you. 2114's will work but so will the 500's-aboout the same spine) Believe 500's are 2016's.
>>>>============>

Enjoy the flight of an arrow amongst Mother Nature's Glory!

Once one opens the mind to the plausible, the unbelievable becomes possible!

>>>>============>

Yours for better bowhunting, Kelly

Offline jamesh76

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: December 31, 2018, 07:53:53 PM »
I have the 40# version. I used velcro for rest and side plate.  I shoot 1816 at 29" long and draw 28" 100 grain points.  I think 1916 would be tunable for you. I also have the same bow in 55# and shoot 2016's at 29" and 150 grain points. Both bareshaft fine out to 25. However each shooter and style vary.  What works for one may not work for others. I also use D97 strings.
-------------------------------
James Haney
Spring Hill, KS
_ _ _ _ _ ______ _  _  _  _  _
USMC Infantry 1996-2001
1st Marine Division
-------------------------------

Offline SDMay

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: December 31, 2018, 10:43:12 PM »
Thanks for the help guys. I think that I will try my 400 spines that I have now and if they don’t seem to work then I will go with a different setup. If I can run the ones I have now then I can save up to get what I need to make some others myself.

Like I said this whole arrow tune thing is new to me.

Offline Tajue17

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: January 01, 2019, 05:00:28 PM »
I used to shoot a saxon that was the same weight and I used 1916's 1" longer BOP so 29" total,, 175/200 gr points.... if you want lighter and faster go with 2114's with 125's  (if I remember correctly the 21= diameter 14= wall thickness)

shoot a few bareshaft 400's and tell us what the arrows are doing and we can help you tune it to fly perfect.
"Us vs Them"

Offline SDMay

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: January 01, 2019, 11:41:08 PM »
What is the easiest way to set up a bareshaft target?

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©