3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Stotler Bows  (Read 5249 times)

Online 1/4 away

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Stotler Bows
« on: December 29, 2018, 06:16:35 PM »
Anybody shooting a Stotler longbow? Got pics?  I had an old Stotler Game Buster longbow many years ago that I let go. Sure would like to find one now.
Do not follow where the path may lead.  Go, instead, where there is no path and leave a trail.

Online 1/4 away

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Stotler Bows
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2018, 03:51:21 PM »
Thanks for the reply Mike. I was beginning to think no one shot a Stotler  :bigsmyl:  your pic didn’t post so if you don’t mind could you try again or email it to me. Thanks.
Do not follow where the path may lead.  Go, instead, where there is no path and leave a trail.

pavan

« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2018, 04:18:07 PM »
have you tried calling this guy?  (618) 697-1885

Online 1/4 away

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2018, 04:49:35 PM »
pavan, That’s the number for Stotler Archery but it is my understanding that they are out of business. Their website is no longer on line and that FB page has no posts since 2014.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2018, 04:55:44 PM by 1/4 away »

Offline Steelhead

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2018, 05:01:38 PM »
I had a couple Gamegetters.One was the Gamegetter Elite that was very ornate and detailed.Very unique and beautiful riser.It had carbon in the limbs.Both were 63 inchers.They made the 66" as well.I also had the Stotler medalist recurve.I preffered the longbow.

Definatly has its own distinct design with the massive riser and wide flatbow style limbs combined with reflex/ deflex that's on the mild side.Its a stable platform for launching arrows.Been awhile since I had mine.I would like to try one again.You don't see too many.Flatbow limbs seem to be stable and quiet.I had a few others with flatbow limbs like the G.N Bushbow and Northern Mist Huron.The difference between them and the Stotler is the riser mass and length.

They made a cool and unique T.D.It looked like a one piece.But would break down into 3 sections.Unlike most that break down into 2 pieces.It was a nice piece of engineering.

Online 1/4 away

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2018, 05:17:41 PM »
Mike, Sent you a pm.

pavan

« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2018, 05:21:10 PM »
Not keeping up a web site and not building bows can be two different things.   The way archery businesses can turn into a non active state by the whims of what comes and goes for popularity is a fickle thing.   I remember very well how many recurve and compound shooters in the late 60s and early 70s had nothing but distain for my longbows at the area shoots.   Now all they want to do is fondle my babies when i show up.  Frankly, I find it offensive how they get all pervert bug eyed over the sight of my Sunset and my Morningstar.  When I had my Stotler at the shoots, that never happened, it was looked as an oddity that neither threatened them or impressed them.  A Stotler longbow with the myrtle riser was not all that heavy, but it shot as well or better than the best recurves out there. 
« Last Edit: December 30, 2018, 05:28:53 PM by pavan »

Offline joe vt

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2018, 05:53:48 PM »
I have always wanted one of their longbows. They are unique looking for sure; and I like the idea of a wide flat bow.

~ joe vt  >>>~~~~~~~~>

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Steelhead

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2018, 06:14:40 PM »
More reflex than I remembered Mike.Still strings up in a classic D shape though.

A point of interest and history.I believe Bob Stotler did build some bows for Howard Hill and hunted with him as well.

I think his more classic longbow was called Old Reliable?I could be wrong though.

pavan

« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2018, 06:52:16 PM »
TheOld Reliable was also a flat limb.  I have never seen one up close or shot one, but I imagine they did pretty well from what i was told by those who shot them. .

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2018, 08:13:41 PM »
I know one thing.......you almost never see a used one for sale.
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline Terry Lightle

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2018, 10:51:47 AM »
Wish I had kept mine
Compton Traditional Bowhunters Life Member

Offline rainman

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2019, 05:27:08 AM »
Try the 618 number.  I talked to Terry a couple of months ago.  They no longer advertise because of partner disagreements but he may build you one.
Semper Fidelis
Dan Raney

Offline Tajue17

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 01, 2019, 06:48:32 AM »
another bow I always wanted but they never seem to pop up forsale,,  I remember along time ago when TBM first came out in the harvest section there was a guy who always had a old looking stotler and kilt everything with it... did hear it called a canoe paddle but when almost every other bow looked like they came from a mold that everyone shared stotlers stood apart and that was cool,,, even his takedown system was different when everyone else used sleeves with broom handle grips  or longbow limbs on recurve risers. 

if people here have stotlers laying around put them in the classifieds...
"Us vs Them"

Online 1/4 away

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: January 01, 2019, 09:12:47 AM »
I have located 2 Stotlers, a gamebuster and a gamegetter, but as luck would have it they are too heavy for me. If anyone is interested in them send me a pm.

Offline Tajue17

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: January 01, 2019, 04:56:22 PM »
if they are too heavy for you then I'm gonna refrain from sending a PM   :banghead:
"Us vs Them"

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: January 01, 2019, 09:28:04 PM »
I don’t think I have ever seen a light one......55# and over most times
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Online 1/4 away

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: January 02, 2019, 12:27:18 PM »
Ron, you’re right. The two I located are 56#@28” and 57#@28”

Offline PBNJ

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: January 02, 2019, 04:18:11 PM »
I believe Dennis Kamstra from the back page of Traditional Bowhunter use to shoot them. He seemed to have liked them and shot a lot of critters with them. I also believe he hunted in Africa and Australia which goes to show you he needed a work horse and dependable type of bow...

Offline Tajue17

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: January 03, 2019, 03:55:22 AM »
I believe Dennis Kamstra from the back page of Traditional Bowhunter use to shoot them. He seemed to have liked them and shot a lot of critters with them. I also believe he hunted in Africa and Australia which goes to show you he needed a work horse and dependable type of bow...

that's the guy I was talking about I couldn't remember the name but he always had that oldish looking stotler in all the pics....   
"Us vs Them"

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©