3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Arrow length  (Read 1593 times)

Offline Hoosiergrass

• Trad Bowhunter
Arrow length
« on: January 04, 2019, 12:00:48 PM »
In the process of tuning my bow with a Gold Tip Traditional shaft spine test kit.
I have found 2 shafts that will work.
A 500 spine cut to 28.5" running 100 grain insert and 175 grain tip flies great but also a 400 spine full length (32.5") running 100 grain insert and 125 grain tip flies great too.
Pros and cons of a full length arrow with a lighter weight up front versus a cut arrow with a heavier weight up front?
I plan to shoot fixed crawl method eventually, would the longer arrow be better for my point on and gaps with the fixed crawl?
BTW, both combinations calculate almost the same numbers but the FOC with the longer shaft is a little lower of course.
Any opinions on pros cons of arrow length?

Offline YosemiteSam

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Arrow length
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2019, 01:09:52 PM »
I'd avoid committing to a specific method at this point.  Fixed crawl requires both your gear and your shooting to be tuned for that setup.  You may discover that instinctive works fine.  Or maybe your bow & shooting style work better with split finger.  Good form can be adapted to work with almost any setup.

I like the fixed crawl idea and still play around with it from time to time.  There are parts that I like about it but some things that simply don't work for me yet with my intended use.  Bottom line, I'm glad that I never committed to it, even if it's fun to play with sometimes.

If it were me and I had a regular-sized bow, I'd opt for the full length shafts.  But I'm mostly a gap shooter.

I picked up a short recurve this year (50") and when stuffed into a bow quiver, those full length shafts stick so far past the lower limb that it was like having a longer bow again.  So I've been fiddling with some 28" woodies.  Longer shafts make sighting easier but they're just as accurate.  Good form is good form.
"A good hunter...that's somebody the animals COME to."
"Every animal knows way more than you do." -- by a Koyukon hunter, as quoted by R. Nelson.

Offline ThePushArchery

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2019, 01:39:09 PM »
All else being equal, i will always go with the longer arrow set up.

If i had to choose between a 500 spine 29” arrow that tuned perfectly and weighed in at 550 gns vs a 400 spine 32” arrow that tuned perfectly and weighed in at 550 gns - I’ll go with the latter every time regardless of which aiming method i choose to employ.

With the distances we shoot, whether you’re an instinctive Aimer, a gap shooter or you’re gonna crawl down the string, having the arrow tip closer to the Target in your sight picture whether you’re consciously paying attention to it or not is greatly beneficial. Also, the longer arrow will minimize your crawl if you’re targeting a 20/25 yard point on.

Now, if you’re trying to set up a tune with a 60 yd point on, then that’s a different story.

Offline Hoosiergrass

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2019, 02:09:01 PM »
Awesome, that's the info and knowledge I needed! Thank you!

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2019, 09:57:34 AM »
I don't dispute what The Push says, but there are some disadvantages to longer arrows IMO.  In bow quivers, the nocks often end up filled with dirt every time one leans the bow up against a tree or something of that nature.  Yeah, can turn the bow upside down before leaning it, but most folks forget.  Longer arrows in a bow quiver also create a lot more movement on the bow; a little movement of the bow and the end of the shafts move a lot more. Too, it just takes more movement to maneuver the longer arrow from the bow quiver into place on the string. In a back quiver it takes more movement to get the arrow out of the quiver, and the broadheads are more likely to catch on the lip of the quiver just as the string hand begins its downward movement with the arrow nock. And, you would be surprised at how much more a 2-3-inch longer nocked arrow (during a final stalk, for example) gets caught on brush, etc., and again necessitates more movement to avoid getting hung up. There are always trade offs. I don't use arrows any longer than necessary, about 1 inch longer than my draw length. 

Offline katman

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2019, 06:22:14 PM »
Fixed crawl the longer arrow makes for a shorter crawl and quieter bow.
shoot straight shoot often

Online McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2019, 06:55:45 PM »
Just to stir the pot, in addition to his other enigmatic quote floating around this forum, Howard Hill was fond of saying that any arrow hanging over the end of the bow at full draw was a waste.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Technology....the knack of arranging the world so that we don't have to experience it.

Online Stumpkiller

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2019, 09:39:04 PM »
I like 3/4" to BOP beyond the riser so I'm not tossing any more shaft than necessary.  Gives me clearance for gloved fingers.

I get the proper spine that will allow that rather than tweak the length to alter the spine.
Charlie P. }}===]> A.B.C.C.

Bear Kodiak & K. Hunter, D. Palmer Hunter, Ben Pearson Hunter, Wing Presentation II & 4 Red Wing Hunters (LH & 3 RH), Browning Explorer, Cobra II & Wasp, Martin/Howatt Dream Catcher, Root Warrior, Shakespeare Necedah.

GCook

« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2019, 10:29:54 PM »
I shoot instinctive.  It doesn't make a difference for me reference wise for aiming.   I have 500 spine and 400 spine tuned for my bows shooting the same head weight and they are different lengths.  One is a bit faster for 3D and the other a bit heavier and quieter for hunting. 

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: January 07, 2019, 06:28:09 AM by GCook »

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©