3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Grizzly double bevel  (Read 2160 times)

Online cacciatore

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Grizzly double bevel
« on: January 08, 2019, 07:21:37 AM »
I use mostly single bevels but just curious about the Grizzly/ Bruin double bevel, what’s your experience?
1993 PBS Regular
Compton
CBA
CSTAS

Offline Hoosierarcher88

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Grizzly double bevel
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2019, 07:44:38 AM »
I got 1 to test this year as well as the big grizzly and a kodiak. Side by side with many other single bevel heads and a few double bevels i will say the bruin took a razor sharp edge the easiest and had extremely good edge retention compared to the other heads. Also in various test media's the bruin was consistently up in the top few for penetration. Imo if i was going to buy any heads out of the grizzly line then the heavy double bevel would be my top pick
Northern mist Shelton 66" 53# @ 28"

Offline PistolPete

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2019, 05:25:34 PM »
I don't really understand a double bevel Grizz, but maybe it's just me. Why would you want a head that penetrates less (through bone) and cuts less (vs the "s" cut of a single bevel)? I'm sure they work fine, but it'd be a slight step down in my mind. Hard to beat the original!

Offline Jeff D. Holchin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2019, 07:14:23 PM »
I love the heavy Bruins and they have become my favorite broadhead.  They are devastating to the animals that have felt their sting so far, mostly hogs.
Genesis 27:3 "Take your bow and a quiver full of arrows out into the open country, and hunt some wild game for me."

Proud PBS regular member - if you are a serious bowhunter, check us out at     http://probow.discussion.community

GCook

« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2019, 07:28:39 PM »
I shot a large pig, high, with a 50lb bow at 17 yards with a single bevel griz.  Got about 4" of penetration.   They all sit on the shelf now.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Offline Biathlonman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2019, 07:37:53 PM »
Super easy to sharpen, great steel, affordable prices.  I'm a big fan.

Offline PistolPete

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2019, 08:45:47 PM »
I shot a large pig, high, with a 50lb bow at 17 yards with a single bevel griz.  Got about 4" of penetration.   They all sit on the shelf now.

I’d be glad to take them off your hands! The single bevel Grizz is legendary - if one of them didn’t penetrate, there’s probably not another head on the market that would. At least not in the same price range.

Online trad_bowhunter1965

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2019, 09:33:13 PM »
I am changing after 10 years I had questions so I went to their website left a message and Bill Dunn call me today and he went over what head and why so I am going with the single bevel 155gr because I have dropped some bow weight and there just to much data out there. 
" I am driven by those thing that rouse my traditional sense of archery and Bowhunting" G Fred Asbell

Trad Gang Hall of Fame
Yellowstone Longbows
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
Professional Bowhunters Society Associate Member
Retired 38 years DoD civilian.

Offline meathead

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2019, 10:25:27 PM »
Great head just like all in the grizzly line.

Online Walt Francis

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2019, 10:47:48 PM »

One might want to put a breadhead where it should go before comdeming it.
The broadhead used, regardless of how sharp, is nowhere as important as being able to place it in the correct spot.

Walt Francis

Regular Member of the Professional Bowhunters Society

GCook

« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2019, 12:04:45 AM »

One might want to put a breadhead where it should go before comdeming it.
Who said that was the only animal I shot with them?  Penetration wasn't the major issue.   Lack of good blood trails.  Not a wide enough cut.  I put them though multiple deer and pigs.  Just wasn't impressed.  But that's why I have multiple heads on the shelf that won't get used.

GCook

« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2019, 12:06:59 AM »
Yeah I'm sure they are legendary  but for the price and blood trails I got I figured I could do as well for less with another head.  And guess what?  I have. 

Offline John Cholin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2019, 09:17:43 AM »
Friend,

I have been using the 150 grain Grizzly Bruin double bevels on my cedar shafts and have done very well.  Easy to get shaving sharp, fly well, generally penetration up to the fletch or better on whitetails.

I am skeptical about the single bevel hype.  I'm a professional engineer.  I've also been gunsmithing for 30 years so I have had to learn how to sharpen tools.  I have learned the hard way that the part of an edge that controls the cutting it the angle between the micro-bevels of the edge - single bevel tools yield the same edge angle between the micro-bevels, are harder to sharpen and don't do a better job at cutting wood, antler, bone or steel.  A burred edge rolls over and stops cutting.

The purported helical wound channel only increases the probability of cutting major blood vessels if the major blood vessels run parallel to each other - they don't!

A single bevel can only impart a "bone splitting force" if the arrow has sufficient rotational inertia to impart such a force (see Newton's Laws of motion) - it doesn't.

Use what works best for you.

Best Regards,

JMC
My best friend is my dog,
my best bow is my Bear Cheyenne.

Offline Zradix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2019, 01:45:03 PM »
No experience here....but I honestly think most if not all respected broadheads (this is one of em) will do the job if we do ours.
...part of our job is to use a head we can sharpen well. Some people are better at sharpening different types of heads.
I feel we as a whole dissect broadheads to such minute detail that we often lose sight of the big picture.
I personally am the best at 3 blades...so that's what I use. I could improve my sharpening other types of heads I'm sure...but I haven't found a real NEED as of yet.
Everyone is different.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2019, 01:54:40 PM by Zradix »
If some animals are good at hunting and others are suitable for hunting, then the Gods must clearly smile on hunting.~Aristotle

..there's more fun in hunting with the handicap of the bow than there is in hunting with the sureness of the gun.~ F.Bear

pavan

« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2019, 02:59:52 PM »
I have and have witnessed many deer taken with Grizzlys, Hunter's heads and Hills of my own single bevel and standard double bevel.  Because of its excellent manufacturing quality the Grizzly double bevel should rank right at the top with any head.  I do believe that a single bevel is capable of putting more blood on the ground quicker.  Depends on the the hit, but it is my impression over the years, that the first blood of a blood trail can be better with the single bevels.  I would be curious to how the double bevel Grizzly takes the Tom Mussato edge.  I use that even on single bevels, with the difference being that the beveled side gets the serration, cutting the teeth on the flat side is counter productive to the edge on single bevels. 

Offline Hud

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • 360-921-5779
« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2019, 01:20:20 AM »
It is hard to beat a traditional hollow ground on good steel, and I believe they are using carbon steel. To get it really sharp I use my Ekco sharpener. I start with a file to smooth out the blade and remove and rough spots, then switch to the Ekco and push the head through the triple wheels, easy not hard about 5x per blade and then repeat it as necessary to get it scary sharp.  I use a leather strope to remove the burr, and a file to give a serrated edge the last 1/2" on the blade.  I prefer serrated edge on the rear of blade but it is optional.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©