3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Climbing sticks vs. rope steps  (Read 2043 times)

Offline Duckbutt

• Trad Bowhunter
Climbing sticks vs. rope steps
« on: February 11, 2007, 07:56:00 AM »
I'm looking at adding the Lone Wolf lock on to my whitetail tool box this year.  Looking for the quietist, easiest and quickest way to climb and hang stand.  Only have experience with screw in steps.  How would the sticks compare to the strap on steps given my three criteria?

Offline Stone Knife

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Climbing sticks vs. rope steps
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2007, 08:04:00 AM »
I like climbing sticks i have used screw in steps but not strap on i never liked strap ons i thought they would move to much. The sticks will meet all your criteria except for the quiet part. Most of the time the straps that come with the sticks aren't that hot so i like to use ratchet straps that is were the noise will come into play i use them at least on the bottom and top, but most of the time i use them all the way up i also put a tree step in on the bottom to set the stick on so it doesn't settle down
Proverbs 12:27
The lazy do not roast any game,
but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt.

John 14:6

Offline VTer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2007, 08:05:00 AM »
I think w/ practice, you could use either and become quiet. I think the sticks would be better for easiest and quickest, just because there's fewer to attach to the tree to get to the same height. On a personal note, I've never tried the rope-on steps. Never trusted them. Seems like they could move around too much.
Schafer Silvertip 66#-"In memory", Green Mountain Longbow 60#, Hill Country Harvest Master TD 59#

"Some of the world's greatest feats were accomplished by people not smart enough to know they were impossible."
    - Doug Lawson.

Offline ronnyg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2007, 08:13:00 AM »
I used tieon/ropeon steps for many years.  Once a routine is established, they are as quiet, easy and quick as anything.  But what else they are is bulky.  I had to carry a whole other pack just to carry them in.  Now I use the a lone wolf with 4 sets of the climbing sticks that attach to the stand.  Really like them more, but don't think they are as fast as the rope on.  Just a little more cumbersome.

Offline Duckbutt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2007, 08:30:00 AM »
Thanks.  I've got a buddy that swears by the rope steps, but I hear a lot of good things about the sticks.  Hoping someone out there had used both.  He did mention carrying a fanny pack just for the steps.

Offline Ray Hammond

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2007, 08:42:00 AM »
I've used them both...I have 8 sets of Rapid Rails and use them with hang on stands- 10 minutes I am set up..trimming limbs..sticks are much safer, quicker in my opinion...and putting 4 on a tree is a lot better than a dozen or more steps..I can pull the bottom RR off the tree on my way out and no one can access my stand, and all I have to bring with me is my bow, pack, and one rail, stick it on the tree and climb up.
“Courageous, untroubled, mocking and violent-that is what Wisdom wants us to be. Wisdom is a woman, and loves only a warrior.” - Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline sswv

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2007, 10:00:00 AM »
over the years I've tried everything out there from climbing stands to Klien pole climbers, screw-in steps, strap-on steps and climbing sticks. go with the sticks! more simple, more stable, a lot safer and faster.

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2007, 10:15:00 AM »
I too have tried nearly all of them in the search for "the best for me".  All of them have their desireable features.  For years I went with top end strap on steps.  These babies cost around 8 dollars each way back then and I carried ten of them.  Heck, that was more cost than any of my early stands.  With them I could almost walk up any tree around, pretty fast and pretty quiet.  They do have some down sides.  

Now, what I carry every time are Lone Wolf strap on  sticks.  Far as I am concerned...these are it !

Take it slow and methodical and they are as quiet as anything out there.  They are also more stable and in my mind, safer.

Although I got really good with the strap on's..please note.  When you put them on, cinch them tight and as a last motion, pull them very tight with one hand while pulling up (as if to tighten) the metal piece that holds the straps in place.  This makes a huge difference in slipage, and also note that they DO move a little while in use.  

I have never had one move enough to make me lose my footing (with these top end steps....I have had cheaper ones BREAK with me on them).  

I still carry sticks right now.  

Whatever you choose, please, practice with them from the ground till you get  the hang of them (pun intended) and be safe.
ChuckC

Online Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2007, 11:26:00 AM »
Have you ever tried to climb a rope ladder?   Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2007, 10:19:00 PM »
Sticks are faster to put on than screw ins, and I suspect faster than strap on steps as well, though I have only used the latter once or twice.  I now use three LW tree sticks and do what Ray does to prevent stand theft.  Actually, I take the bottom two with me when I leave.  Can attach both from the ground when I return, which is very fast.  The higher one will need some adjusting/lifting while standing on the lower before snugging the higher one up.  Can do it faster than it takes to write about it.

Offline Danny Roberts

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2007, 10:25:00 PM »
Get the Ameri-step ladders, non-typical.

Offline knobby

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2007, 10:36:00 PM »
Go with the climbing sticks. When it comes to the safety issue, just ask yourself,"What would I trust to send a young hunting partner(son/daughter) up a tree on?" I think you'll go with the climbing sticks. I had my son tagging along when he was eight years old, and he never had a problem climbing with the sticks. They make for a secure hand-hold going up/down the tree also.

Offline Dan Worden

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2007, 07:37:00 AM »
Tried most everything, sold most everything. I now have a set of Lone Wolf sticks for every stand.

All of the kudo's above can be repeated.

Offline varmint

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2007, 08:24:00 AM »
Lone Wolf climbing sticks are the way to go.

Sold most everything else.

I'm less than an hour away from you if you'd like to try them out before you buy to see for yourself.
Bowhunting......A way of life and death.

Offline LV2HUNT

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2007, 09:02:00 AM »
I have both (strap on and sticks) and I exclusively use the sticks now. They are just more efficient time wise. One stick equals three steps. Mine are lone wolf. They are as easy if not easier to put up then single strap on steps. I feel they are more stable on the tree as well.

Offline jeff w

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: February 12, 2007, 10:30:00 AM »
I'll go ahead and my vote for the Lone Wolf Climbing Sticks.   I started out with the screw-in steps, then changed to the strap-ons when I moved and started hunting public land.  I bought the LW Climbing Sticks 3 years ago and have never been sorry.  For me, they are faster, quieter and much safer than the strap-on steps.

Offline Dave Bulla

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: February 12, 2007, 11:20:00 AM »
I've never owned any stick type climbers but I've used them a time or two.  I do own a set of the Stepp Ladder tie on steps and I like them a LOT.  These are individual steps that tie on but are unique in that you can stand on one step with both feet at the same time.  They use a cam action that really locks them tight to the tree and unless the bark is REALLY thick and punky like maybe a locust tree They don't slip at all.  They are not cheap though...  I believe they are close to ten bucks per step but I'm not certain as I got mine as a gift a couple years ago.  I do know that they were invented by Jim Stepp who had difficulty with standard screw in and strap on steps since he has only one leg and wanted something where he could put both feet on one step to stand while putting on the next step.  Some features I really like are that they nest inside each other and stow in a shoulder bag.  They are NOT BLACK like so many strap on step and stick systems are.  They are an olive green/grey with camo rope and virtually dissapear on most trees.  I HATE having to paint stuff that is made black from the store.  I can spot black climbing sticks and the black straps a LONG ways off in the woods.  Also, there are no metal buckles, clips or ratchets to clink and make noise.  Just a simple camo rope and a special knot that is printed right on the carry bag.  (It's the logo)

Downside, they are not all that quick.  They are a lot quicker than screw ins but they are still individual steps and each one takes a bit of time.  Upside is they will go on pretty much any tree you can get your arms around.

Of the stick/multiple step type steps, I think I prefer the rapid rails over the lone wolfs but both are very well made.
Dave

I've come to believe that the keys to shooting well for me are good form, trusting the bow to do all the work, and having the confidence in the bow and myself to remain motionless and relaxed at release until the arrow hits the mark.

Online Mike Bolin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: February 12, 2007, 11:32:00 AM »
Love the Lone Wolf sticks....I picked up some of the Gorilla climbing sticks last year at close-out time at Gander Mt. They work well, but are quite a bit heavier. I did get them for $9.99 ea. so that makes them seem a bit lighter! Sticks all the way-Mike
Centaur longbow 62", 43#@28"
River Raisin Siren, 60", 41#@28"
Osage Selfbow 62", 47#@28
Compton Traditional Bowhunters

Offline Kyle Lancaster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: February 13, 2007, 02:37:00 PM »
My 2 cents. I have the Lone Wolf hang on with the sticks. The whole system weighs about 20 lbs (with 3 sticks). It's a very good system. BUT, for an even lighter set up, I use Jerry Simmons system of a Woodpecker drill and bolts. The drill and bolts weigh about 3 lbs. (if that and fit in your pocket) on top to the Lone Wolf 12.5 lb stand. Truly light and compact.
Kyle

Offline 21cenlongbowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: February 13, 2007, 06:42:00 PM »
Home made chain steps.
2 to 3 foot of dog chain a S hook and a 6 inch piece of 4x4 per step they work very well and are quicker that sticks

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©