3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Honoring the "Majestic Beast"  (Read 3445 times)

Offline KAZ

• Trad Bowhunter
Honoring the "Majestic Beast"
« on: January 14, 2019, 04:25:44 PM »
Folks,
I start this thread with a Beautiful Picture my friend Ben "23feetupandHappy" took "On Top" of the TradGang Banner...

May it be abundantly clear that I wish to breath life & oxygen into the PowWow Campfire :campfire: and direct ALL Glory, Honor, & Praise to Our Creator. I worship the Creator (His Majesty), and not his Creation but Honoring & Respecting the Game we pursue is admirable... :pray:

Thank you Lord for Blessing me with the gift of such a Majestic Beast to share your goodness, providence, sovereignty, and Majesty. :notworthy:

I thought it would be fun to share some of the ways I am honoring the life & death of the Majestic Beast through Table Fare. I will also have this wonderful animal preserved in a beautiful Shoulder Mount to remember God's Special Blessing on November 30th, 2018 and have opportunity to engage with all who see and wonder why we do what we do...... Honor & Respect :clapper:

For the complete Hunt Story follow this link:

http://www.tradgang.com/tgsmf/index.php?topic=165054.0
« Last Edit: January 14, 2019, 08:54:53 PM by KAZ »

Offline KAZ

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Honoring the "Majestic Beast"
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2019, 04:43:07 PM »
Let me also state that this thread is the culinary "Fruit" of the Journey we call Traditional Bowhunting and a blessed day a field. May it provide some fun inspiration to enjoy God's Providence in ways you haven't yet pursued. I can also tell you first hand that sharing the well cared for meat/bounty with others brings great joy... :thumbsup: I've had nothing but great response from Hunter Friendly and Non-Hunters alike... :campfire:

My Adult Kids not withstanding, I have found many folks that increasingly have developed allergies and sensitivities. Let alone, the increased interest in "Organic Foods".... Well, processing your own Venison and adding appropriate seasonings for the variety of consumers seems to be a great fit!!!! :biglaugh:

So, this year I invested in a more capable Meat Grinder and a Sausage Stuffer... :goldtooth:

Full Disclosure, I also have a Traeger Grill / Smoker used in Culinary Delights to follow... :saywhat:

Offline KAZ

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2019, 05:05:40 PM »
As told in the full Hunt Story, God Blessed me with a quick kill under Ideal cold & snow recovery conditions. The Majestic Beast was field dressed quickly and even Iced down internally to ensure the Best Meat possible... After skinning the animal, essentially it was fully deboned for final processing. I had decided early on I wanted to do some specialty products.

So, I left the Backstraps whole but cut them in half for (4) Beautiful Backstrap Roast/Loins if you will... And let me tell you they were LARGE :o

I left the Inner/Tenderloins whole

Cleaned up the Heart for a Special Wine, Mushroom, Onion Reduction skillet

I then saved a few Roasts for making into Corned Venison w/Pressure Cooker for Venison & Cabbage or Reubens....

I then made sure I saved 20lbs of Meat to Grind for Specialty Products Like Fresh Bratwurst, Smoked Bratwurst, and Summer Sausage

Then the remainder was ground for Venison Burger w/10% Beef Brisket Fat added from a Previous Brisket Trimming....

Side Note: There was a lot of meat to work with and I coarse ground the shank meat straight up for my Puppy (9lbs........ :laughing:) He's been very happy!!!!
Sorry Mike Davenport, I forgot to try the Osso Bucco :dunno:

Offline KAZ

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2019, 05:46:05 PM »
I set out to make Fresh Bratwurst, Smoked Bratwurst, and Summer Sausage with the Grinder & Stuffer...

I won't go into full recipes here, just want to share the process and fun!

20lbs of Vension

8 Pound Pork Shoulder Roast not trimmed so it had a fair amount of fat on it (Not enough...)

Then I added about 14oz of straight Beef Fat per 5lbs of previously Ground Venison and Pork Shoulder Roast to bring up the Fat Content

Procedure:
Coarse Grind first, then pass through a second time on Fine Grind

This same mixture of meat & fat was used for both Brats and Summer Sausage

Next step was to add seasonings for various products then refrigerate for later stuffing

Approximately 12lbs of Fresh Brats that was a special internet recipe to avoid any allergies / sensitivities to Gluten Free / Night Shade issues / No cure needed

Approximately 12lbs of Smoked Brats utilizing a little of the special internet recipe, a store bought seasoning, and a Cure to withstand the slow cook process

Approximately 6lbs of Straight Summer Sausage (Store Bought Seasonings & Cure)

Approximately 6lbs of Jalapeno Summer Sausage (Store Bought Seasonings & Cure w/Jalapeno Add)

Offline KAZ

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2019, 05:50:48 PM »
Now for the fun "stuff" :laughing:

And the PICS!!! :goldtooth:

Ready yourself as Dinner is approaching for most of us.................................. :o

Offline KAZ

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2019, 05:53:45 PM »
A very fitting "Toast" in Honor of the Majestic Beast... :goldtooth:

Thank you Lord :notworthy:

Offline KAZ

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2019, 05:56:50 PM »
Here's a pic of the Bratwurst Stuffing Setup In Process:

Essentially, after you stuff you can pinch and twist your links to the length you desire...

Offline KAZ

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2019, 06:05:51 PM »
I used two different collagen/edible casings for the Bratwurst. Uncured for the Fresh Bratwurst AND Cured Casings for the Smoked Bratwurst.

I then switched the nozzle on the Stuffer and moved on to Summer Sausage. I went with 1-1/2" Diameter x 12" Long Mahogany Inedible Fibrous Casings

Unfortunately I do not have the stuffing pics as I'm a one man show... Here's the Meat Tote full of Ready to Smoke Summer Sausage Rolls.

1/2 Regular & 1/2 Jalapeno

Just a technique tip, I zip tied my Traeger Temperature Probe into one of the Rolls that was a 50/50 split Regular / Jalepeno as my "Test Chub" so that I could monitor the temperature throughout the cooking process to know when they were done... Same with one of the Bratwurst...

« Last Edit: January 15, 2019, 07:01:00 AM by KAZ »

Offline KAZ

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2019, 06:09:09 PM »
Time to Fire up the Traeger Smoker

Offline KAZ

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2019, 06:16:42 PM »
I did the Summer Sausage first and thankfully I had just enough room using the lower rack & upper rack completely... :thumbsup:

If you look closely you'll see the goodies in there.... :jumper:

I smoked them at 225 Degrees until they reached 153 Degrees then pulled them

After taking them out, I did an ice bath quench down to 100 Degrees, then Dried them with towel and hung to finish cooling

If you look closely you can see my temperature probe hanging out of my test chub!

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2019, 06:19:40 PM »
Looking great, will use similar processes when making sausage and bratwurst. I'll be following along in case I can pick up any tips.
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline KAZ

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2019, 06:22:54 PM »
Alright already, let's take a look at some finished Goods :biglaugh:

Dried and Ready

Test Chub First Cut:

End View of Regular

Cross Section of a Jalapeno Style (Mild)

Offline KAZ

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2019, 06:26:55 PM »
Let me just state,................. Incredible first go. Absolutely amazing :goldtooth:

I have been able to share the Journey & the Summer Sausage with Many which has been a privilege and a blessing :pray: :notworthy:

On to Bratwurst Pics...

Offline KAZ

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2019, 06:31:28 PM »
I only have two pics of the finished Bratwurst.

The First is of the Allergy / Food Sensitivity Fresh Bratwurst. Tell me this doesn't look amazing!!!??? :saywhat:

The second is of the finished Smoked Bratwurst

The little one on top was my test unit that had the temp probe in it....

Offline KAZ

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2019, 06:42:12 PM »
Now it's time for shall I say, some more sophisticated items.... :laughing:

In the past I've usually made the Backstraps into Butterfly Chops for grilling or wine reduction/mushroom/onion steaks etc... However this time I wanted to do something special... I left them whole, then cut them each in half.

I made one that was Allergy / Food Sensitivity safe and marinated the back half in olive oil / salt / pepper

The front half I marinated in Italian Dressing and then when time to cook I seasoned with Montreal Steak Seasoning

These marinated overnight and were ready for an afternoon cook / evening meal....

I took one package of Bacon for each half and made a "Bacon Weave" then wrapped the Backstrap completely...

Tip: Lay Parchment paper down, make your weave, then lay loin or Backstrap on it, an use paper to help roll the bacon around the meat. It will help form it, and also not stick when your remove it on the grill. I actually left it in the paper and then unrolled it straight to the grill right in place so it didn't need manipulation which would make it fall apart...

Online Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #15 on: January 14, 2019, 06:44:09 PM »
from harvest to table fare - don't get no better!  :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

what a great meal fit for a king!  mouth watering!  i'm hungry!!!
IAM ~ The only government I trust is my .45-70 ... and my 1911.

Offline KAZ

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: January 14, 2019, 06:57:29 PM »
I put these in the Traeger Grill / Smoker at 275 Degrees, then bumped to 325 until the Meat Was 136-137 Degrees... I'm a Medium Rare Person for Venison... Plus resting can bring it up a fuzz...

Back Half Bacon Wrapped Backstrap - PreBroil

Front Half Bacon Wrapped Backstrap - PreBroil

Now time to Oven Broil to "Crisp up the Bacon!"

Back Half Bacon Wrapped Backstrap - PostBroil

Front Half Bacon Wrapped Backstrap - PostBroil

Offline LC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: January 14, 2019, 07:01:48 PM »
Awesome you have my mouth watering! Congrats!
Most people get rich by making more money than they have needs, me, I just reduced my needs!

Offline KAZ

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: January 14, 2019, 07:07:25 PM »
Drum Roll Please............................................. :saywhat:

Back Half Bacon Wrapped Backstrap:

Front Half Bacon Wrapped Backstrap:

Ummmmnnnhhnnngghh...

Offline KAZ

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: January 14, 2019, 07:12:15 PM »
Folks, I hope you enjoyed the thread... :campfire:

Praise God for it all, may the Majestic Beast be honored by using this special blessing to Glorify Our Creator... :pray: :notworthy:

Every meal and every chance to share the bounty will be an opportunity to do so.... :clapper:
« Last Edit: January 15, 2019, 07:09:31 AM by KAZ »

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©