3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: New bear bows? Bodnik bows? Questions...  (Read 2847 times)

Offline Krex1010

• Trad Bowhunter
New bear bows? Bodnik bows? Questions...
« on: January 15, 2019, 09:32:04 AM »
I’ve decided that I’m in the market for a new recurve. The bow I’ve been hunting with is a 1971 Super Kodiak. I love this bow, the grip is a natural fit for me, the mass helps my accuracy and it just pulls incredibly smoothly. However, I’m feeling like I don’t want to put all my recurve eggs in a 50 year old basket. I know this bow won’t last forever with how often I shoot it.

I really can’t spend $800 plus for a custom bow right now. So I’m considering a new Bear Super K or possibly a Grizzly as well as the Bodnik bows ( I really dig the clear glass, wish Bear didn’t do everything in black glass). My draw is 27” and would like to stay in the 56” -60” bow length range.

There are plenty of stories about declining Bear quality, I know a few unhappy customers can sound like an army. So I don’t know if Bear truly has declined or if all I’m seeing is the noise. The Bodnik/Bearpaws are interesting but I can’t find much info on the current recurves they offer.

If anyone has any experience with the newer Bears/Bodniks I’d appreciate some input as well as any recommendations on similar recurves that maybe I don’t know about.
"You can't cheat the mountain pilgrim"

Offline Ron LaClair

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
We live in the present, we dream of the future, but we learn eternal truths from the past
When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life so that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice.
Life is like a wet sponge, you gotta squeeze it until you get every drop it has to offer

Offline David Mitchell

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: New bear bows? Bodnik bows? Questions...
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2019, 10:00:09 AM »
Keith, remember that Bear is making/shipping a ton of bows.  Demand is high.  Inevitably there will from time to time be some issues.  All bowyers have had them.  The folks who have issues normally are the ones you hear from on hear--not the satisfied customers of which I am one. I have had some myself, but that being said, Bear stepped up and took care of me without any problem.  The only recurves (3) I currently have on my rack are all Bears.  And I have owned a bunch of customs.  Ron posted above me here and he has personally commented that he has the new K4 and really likes it. He also is connected with Bodnik and they are presently building his Shrew line.  I'm sure he can answer any questions you have about them.  I have never owned a Bodnik built bow so can't speak to that part of your question. Best of luck on your search. :thumbsup:
The years accumulate on old friendships like tree rings, during which time a kind of unspoken care and loyalty accrue between men.

Offline Bladepeek

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2019, 10:02:40 AM »
Opinions are like......
Here's mine. I bought a 2015 Super K and shoot it as well as any of my custom bows. If there has been any decline in quality, it sure doesn't show up in my bow.
60" Bear Super K LH 40#@28
69" Matt Meacham LH 42@28
66" Swift Wing LH 35@28
54" Java Man Elk Heart LH 43@28
62"/58" RER LXR LH 44/40@28

Offline Krex1010

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2019, 01:30:42 PM »
Thanks for the replies guys...I know that a few unhappy customers can make it seem like an entire product line is bad or not worth messing with. I’m hopeful that is the case with Bear because it’s a company that I have fond feelings for. I really like my old super k and I shoot it really well, so a newer version of that bow would be my preference.

Online TIM B

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2019, 02:10:19 PM »
I have a 2015 Griz and a 2017 SK and have no problems w either. 
Tim B

Offline Blackstick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2019, 06:26:22 PM »
I recently returned a set of T/D limbs to Bear. From the time that they received them to the time I had them back in my hands was 7 days. That included a week end and 2 days of shipping. Bear's customer service is one of the best.

Offline jeff w

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2019, 06:53:03 PM »
The last two Bear bows I bought, a '59 Kodiak and a bubinga  TD, have both been great-no problems.  I've heard and read a lot of good things about Bodnik bows but haven't tried one yet.

Offline deerfly

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2019, 08:06:05 PM »
I bought a new 59 Kodiak reissue this past Oct. Beautifully crafted and a great shooter, was easy to get real quiet too. Very happy with it.

Offline bushpilot

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2019, 09:58:50 PM »
I have owned several models of the both the Bodnik and Bear line ups, you really can’t go wrong.

Bodnik bows are solid, and I have had positive experiences, I really like their Bamboo limb cores. There Mohawk model was excellent, I actually preferred it with the longbow limbs compared to the recurve. The slick stick is also nice, light and quick. I didn’t like the grips on the bodniks as much though.

I currently own a Bear T/D and it is a dependable bow. Smooth and stable, and I really like the grip on it.  Not necessarily the quickest bows, however it seems to put arrow after arrow where I look.

Try handling each and decide which one feels better and go with that knowing there isn’t really a bad choice.

Offline Tucker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2019, 12:41:24 PM »
I’ve got a ‘70’s Super Grizzly that I like too.
Why don’t you just get another (new) one?!
If you are concerned that your 50 year old bow may self destruct, then get one just like it for a seamless transition when/if the time comes.
Sort of like getting a new puppy way before the old dog dies...

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2019, 03:50:40 PM »
I bought a Bubinga Super K during a trip to Gainesville a few years ago. I couldn’t even find the blemish.

That bow was as solid a performer as any of my customs.

That black beauty Super K .. well..a beaut!
« Last Edit: January 17, 2019, 04:34:35 PM by Bowwild »

Offline Krex1010

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2019, 04:12:32 PM »
I’ve got a ‘70’s Super Grizzly that I like too.
Why don’t you just get another (new) one?!
If you are concerned that your 50 year old bow may self destruct, then get one just like it for a seamless transition when/if the time comes.
Sort of like getting a new puppy way before the old dog dies...
A new super K is my preference. The grizzly is such a classic and I really love Bear bows but I don’t own a grizz....and I feel like I should own one lol

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©