3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Whats your favorite nonarchery target?  (Read 7893 times)

Online Pine

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Whats your favorite nonarchery target?
« on: January 16, 2019, 07:38:51 PM »
OK, what I mean by this is, what is your favorite things to shoot at that isn't an actual archery target.
Like old toys, sticks or something.
I'm going to tell a funny one on myself.
Way back in the early 70s I discovered the Judo Points.
I got one of those and was shooting in the yard just to see how it wouldn't burrow under the grass.
Man that thing worked great.
 :jumper: Ooooo, I have an idea! I'm going to get my nice soccer ball and kick it like jumping a rabbit.
I kicked the ball, drew up to snap shoot and I nailed it at about 15yards. :scared: :dunno: :knothead:
To my surprise the arrow went through the ball.
That shot was not done again and my very nice " LEATHER SOCCER BALL" was ruined. :o
It's easier to fool someone than to convince them they have been fooled. Mark Twain

If you're afraid to offend, you can't be honest.

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Caddo

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Whats your favorite nonarchery target?
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2019, 07:47:21 PM »
Not very many stumps to shoot in Texas but there's plenty of prickly pear!
"If your gonna kick a tiger in the butt, you better have a plan for dealing with his teeth!

Offline Krex1010

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2019, 08:22:03 PM »
I have two daughters....no I don’t shoot at them. But they accumulate an ungodly amount of toys. Barbie dolls are a fun target.
"You can't cheat the mountain pilgrim"

Offline A Lex

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2019, 08:32:06 PM »
Tennis balls are my favorite by far.
Cheap, last well and small enough to be a good challenge.
When you center punch one with a blunt, they give a very satisfying "thwok" as they ping further out into the field to tempt you with another, often harder shot.
Target points do penetrate them pretty easy though.

Best
Lex

« Last Edit: January 17, 2019, 04:40:39 AM by A Lex »
Good hunting to you all.
May the wind be your friend, and may your arrows fly true,
Most of all, may the appreciation and the gratitude of what we do keep us humble......

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2019, 09:07:30 PM »
One of the worst ass whoopens the ole man ever gave me, was when I shot up frosty the plastic snowman out in the front yard..

I was 8 years old then, and just couldn't figure out how he knew I did it..

Guess it was all the arrow holes in it now that I think about it..

LOL

Online Pine

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2019, 09:26:16 PM »
One of the worst ass whoopens the ole man ever gave me, was when I shot up frosty the plastic snowman out in the front yard..

I was 8 years old then, and just couldn't figure out how he knew I did it..

Guess it was all the arrow holes in it now that I think about it..

LOL
:laughing: I've done things like that too. :laughing:
It's easier to fool someone than to convince them they have been fooled. Mark Twain

If you're afraid to offend, you can't be honest.

TGMM Family of the Bow

Online Trenton G.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2019, 09:53:50 PM »
We have an old foam soccer ball that I kick back and forth across the yard. Lasts a bit longer than a leather one. :goldtooth:
Tennis balls and golf balls are also a lot of fun, and there's always something fun to play with in the recycling bin.

Offline fishmerf

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2019, 09:56:49 PM »
I love to throw small plastic golf balls around the yard and shoot them with a judo point. The vented ones are my favorite. The will jump when you hit them and offer a new distance for you to shoot. They keep me entertained for hours.

Online McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2019, 10:19:33 PM »
I love to stump shoot, as long as it isn't actual stumps!  Plastic bottles on broken arrow shafts, pine cones, halloween rats on sticks, stuff hanging from limbs of trees, etc.  Whatever is fun to shoot and won't break our arrows.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Technology....the knack of arranging the world so that we don't have to experience it.

Offline TooManyHobbies

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2019, 11:14:44 PM »
Years ago there was a big white stuffed bear around. Made a great target for field points.
60" Bear Super Kodiak 50@28 (56@31)
68" Kohannah Long Bow 62@30

Online Bowguy67

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2019, 11:35:12 PM »
Nowadays I just shoot real archery targets but as a kid two things I remember exempting animals of course. We used to fill milk jugs with a couple rocks and throw it. Another guy shot flu flus at it. Was fun. Another was “stump shooting” butterflies. I don’t remember if I ever killed one but it’s def challenging and forced quick multi distanced shots. Was fun too. Just remember your judo points or the arrow is gone.
62” Robertson Primal Overdrive 57lbs
62” Robertson Primal Overdrive 52lbs
62” Robertson Primal Overdrive 53lbs
62” Robertson Fatal Styx 47lbs
64” Toelke Whip 52lbs
58” Black Widow PSA 64lbs
62” Black Widow PSA 54lbs
60” Bighorn Grand Slam 60lbs
60” Bear Kodiak Hunter 50lbs painted black. My uncles bow. He may be gone but his spirit isn’t. Bow will hunt again
52” Bear Kodiak Magnum 50lbs

Offline Red Beastmaster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2019, 12:57:03 AM »
Several years ago my friend and I made a winter range in my garage. Once per week we got together to shoot at things we gathered. We always tried to out do each other with crazy targets.

Barbies, old radio, Michael Jackson CD's, a Mr Coffee, Chuck Adams pictures, cans, balls, stuffed animals, and baby dolls were just some of the things we destroyed with our bows.

It wasn't worth shooting at if it didn't take a push broom and a shovel to clean up.
There is no great fun, satisfaction, or joy derived from doing something that's easy.  Coach John Wooden

Offline Alexander Traditional

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2019, 02:46:06 AM »
Tennis balls,beer cans,dogs stuffed animals,ant hills,dry cow turds.

Offline A Lex

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2019, 04:47:56 AM »
Nowadays I just shoot real archery targets but as a kid two things I remember exempting animals of course. We used to fill milk jugs with a couple rocks and throw it. Another guy shot flu flus at it. Was fun. Another was “stump shooting” butterflies. I don’t remember if I ever killed one but it’s def challenging and forced quick multi distanced shots. Was fun too. Just remember your judo points or the arrow is gone.

Yes Bowguy, butterflies are great fun. A couple of years ago my two sons and I had an absolute ball on cabbage moths (white butterflies) on a turnip crop. Bright pink flu-flus were a must. We all managed to "puff" a few moths each.

Good fun and good memories. Thanks for reminding me  :biglaugh:

Best
Lex
Good hunting to you all.
May the wind be your friend, and may your arrows fly true,
Most of all, may the appreciation and the gratitude of what we do keep us humble......

Offline Stunchy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2019, 08:05:59 AM »
Cheap, kids sized soccer ball while using rubber blunts. Great fun in any large field or open trail.  You can kick it along while walking and take shots whenever you like the look of the shot where it stops. I also like to kick it and try to hit it while rolling, have a friend throw it in the air, or (using one arrow only, that you walk and pick up after each shot) see how far you can move the ball with consecutive shots before missing.  You just need to be a little aware because center shots will bounce back at you.

Online ronp

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2019, 08:14:57 AM »
I stalked up to this target while out stumping a couple years ago.  Proof that we have bear in these parts.

Ron Purdy

TGMM Family of the Bow
MTB
NRA

Offline dringge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: January 17, 2019, 08:36:22 AM »
I saw tennis balls mentioned. They would be a great target if I didnt have a labrador retriever. Tennis balls dont last long here.
NRA Life Member

Offline Red Beastmaster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: January 17, 2019, 09:27:09 AM »
Be carefull shooting at inflatable balls with blunts! The arrow can come straight back at you or your kids faster than you can blink!

I forgot about ant hills. One of my favorite things on our annual trip to Wild Things is shooting at fire ant hills while we look for arrow heads.
There is no great fun, satisfaction, or joy derived from doing something that's easy.  Coach John Wooden

Offline 76Aggie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: January 17, 2019, 01:32:26 PM »
Caddo nailed it.  Prickly pear and other cactus are a favorite of mine.  Tennis balls come in a close second for me as well as plastic coke bottles.

Online Trenton G.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: January 17, 2019, 02:15:18 PM »
Mushroom stumps are also a lot of fun. If I find a stump with a bunch of mushrooms growing on the side, I'll walk around and try to pick them off (unless they're edible of course).

I used to shoot pop cans but they are pretty hard on feathers and I also worried about them scraping my arrows.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©