3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Anybody ever try these?  (Read 1929 times)

Offline J. Holden

• Trad Bowhunter
Anybody ever try these?
« on: January 19, 2019, 01:11:15 PM »
I have a bow/arrow combo that is tuned great.  However my arrows are roughly 9 grains per pound and I'd like to increase the total weight to 11 grains per pound.  I'd rather not add weight behind the tip as that will cause me to re-tune everything.  Instead I was thinking of 3 Rivers weighted tubes.  See the link below.

I'm curious if anyone has used them and had success.  They received both good and bad reviews on the website so I'm torn.

-Jeremy :coffee:

https://www.3riversarchery.com/3rivers-archery-arrow-weight-tubes.html
Pslam 46:10

"A real man rejects passivity and takes responsibility to lead, provide, protect, and teach expecting to receive the greater reward." Dr. Robert Lewis

Online McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Anybody ever try these?
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2019, 01:26:03 PM »
They seem pretty straightforward to me.  At $13/dozen, it doesn’t cost very much to find out for yourself whether you like them or not.  Depending on which weight you choose, you could increase your arrow weight by 84-224 grains on 28” of available shaft.  It’s not correct that these won’t affect your tuning at all, but shouldn’t affect it very much.  The alternative would be to go to stiffer shafts and tune for a heavier point, which should theoretically be more effective than an overall weight increase, but that would be a lot more work and money than the weight tubes.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Technology....the knack of arranging the world so that we don't have to experience it.

Offline Dale in Pa

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2019, 06:43:28 PM »
I would at least try an arrow with a  50 or 100 gr brass insert. In my experience they don't change the tune all that much. In the case of the 100 grainer, it's longer than a std alum insert if that's what you're using now, and so that much less of the shaft won't flex, in effect shortening the shaft and making it stiffer.

When I tried the weight tubes, they changed the tune, and when I used them for stump shooting the repeated hard hits actually fractured the plastic tubes and then pieces rattled around inside the shaft. You also have to glue your nocks in or a hard hit will pop the nock out.

Offline Dave Lay

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2019, 06:59:15 PM »
Have you tried weed eater cord? Basicly free and doesn’t affect spine while adding overall weight
Compton traditional bowhunters
PBS regular
Traditional bowhunters of Arkansas
I live to bowhunt!!!
60” Widow SAV recurve 54@28
60” Widow KBX recurve 53@27
64” DGA longbow 48@27

Offline Curtiss Cardinal

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2019, 07:08:28 PM »
Remove the nock and add a length of weedwhacker line down the shaft. If you have an arrow scale start with a length of line the full length of the arrow and trim to get your desired weight.
It is curious that physical courage should be so common in the world and moral courage so rare. ~Mark Twain
TGMM Family of The Bow

Offline J. Holden

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2019, 07:16:16 PM »
I appreciate the advice.  I'll consider all options.  Tuning for me is a necessary evil.  I do it, but loath it.  So I guess it seemed like an easier option.  I suppose easy isn't always the right option though either.

-Jeremy :coffee:
Pslam 46:10

"A real man rejects passivity and takes responsibility to lead, provide, protect, and teach expecting to receive the greater reward." Dr. Robert Lewis

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2019, 09:14:16 PM »
If you pick the correct shaft to begin with (which comes with experience), very little tuning is required.  Or, put another way, it's pretty easy to tune them.  Weighting the entire shaft as much as you want to will affect the tune.  Pick your poison. Good luck.

Bisch

« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2019, 11:32:23 PM »
The weight tubes work just fine. The only thing I hated about them when I used them, was that every time you hit something hard, it would pop the nock out of the back end of the arrow.

Bisch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Offline H1tman7

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2019, 11:49:40 PM »
In my experience the weight tubes did affect my arrows dynamic spine.... 

Offline beendare

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2019, 12:38:20 AM »
Ive used the tubes- both the lighter and heavy version a great system.

Ive had them show a little stiff on one tuned setup and not affect another- still tuned. I would assume it might stiffen up your arrows a tad.

So you might have to add a little tip weight or lower brace height to adjust tune.

The heavy tubes need to be glued in with a dab on each end so they dont blow out noks and inserts.
You don't drown by falling in the water; you drown by staying there.”
― Edwin Louis Cole

Offline old_goat2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2019, 02:53:33 AM »
There's no free lunch when messing with arrow weight. When you increase total arrow weight, you lower FOC which isn't always a deal breaker, but if you don't have a fairly substantial FOC to begin with it can be problematic. I added a length of Paracord to an arrow that didn't have all that high of FOC to begin with, maybe 12%, I don't remember what the Paracord weighed but it did a wonderful job adding weight and not blowing out Nock's, BUT, it actually dropped my calculated FOC to almost zero, the tune wasn't bad but the arrow stayed in paradox almost all the way to the target, first and last time I had an arrow that I could actually see it in paradox with the naked eye, looked like a snake slithering through the air to the target. Whatever weight you decide to add, do a FOC calculation to see if it's a tolerable level, I wouldn't go below 12% personally, especially for hunting. My two cents! About what it's worth!
David Achatz
CPO USN Ret.
Various bows, but if you see me shooting, it's probably a Toelke in my hand!

Online Tajue17

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2019, 05:37:54 AM »
Remove the nock and add a length of weedwhacker line down the shaft. If you have an arrow scale start with a length of line the full length of the arrow and trim to get your desired weight.

I agree,, works for me and doesn't mess with spine... 3 strands of the light blue stuff inside heritage 90's full length brought  the  weight up from 470 to 540gr for me
"Us vs Them"

Offline JimB

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2019, 12:47:30 PM »
I have had those tubes vary in weight up tp 17 grains within a a dozen.

I  have said it before,if you are already tuned,adding any full length weight,be it tubing,powder,cordage,will stiffen the dynamic tune.I have wasted way to much time experimenting with all types.Never again.

Now if you put the tubes in before tuning,and change front end weight to tune,that can work but you cannot predict the final weight.You will be surprised how much up front weight it will take to bring them to tune.

Regardless how flexible your tubing is,it changes weight distribution and your balance point.This happens because all arrows have a balance point forward of center so the tubing adds more weight behind the balance point .This moves your balance toward the rear.

If your arrows are truly well tuned to start,adding the tube, changes the balance point and anytime you change the balance point,either direction,you change the tune.

Don't take my word for it.mark your balance point,then install your tubing or string.Check your balance point and it will have moved back.You have changed the tune.The heavier the full length weight,the more pronounced this phenomenon will be.

I like a little weight myself but I have learned,after years of experimenting with all manner of full length weights,to choose the right shaft that will get me to a ballpark weight that I want and I avoid the tubes etc. Like the plague.

If I were in your shoes,I would hunt with those at 9 grs .Well tuned,they will work great.If you truly want heavier,I would get some heavier shafts that will get you there without the weights.

Good luck with it.

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2019, 03:13:16 PM »
Mini aquarium tubing works much better for me than weed eater line ever did.
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©