3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Shoulder Injury  (Read 2791 times)

Offline dringge

• Trad Bowhunter
Shoulder Injury
« on: January 20, 2019, 08:14:36 AM »
I have been referred for an MRI on my left shoulder for a possible torn rotator cuff. This could put a real crimp in turkey season.
NRA Life Member

GCook

Re: Shoulder Injury
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2019, 09:23:19 AM »
That's no bueno.  But do what the doc says.  That way you'll at least get healed by deer season.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2019, 09:30:17 AM »
Was 6 weeks after my rotator cuff surgery before I was allowed to shoot.

And that was with a very light bow for a while.

Listen to the doctor and PT person or you will be back to square one again.

Online STICKBENDER98

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2019, 09:59:29 AM »
I was having shoulder pain in my right one a couple years ago, MRI showed a small tear, doctor suggested PT to help strengthen muscles in my neck and around my shoulder. They told me by changing the way I was lifting and using different muscles around the shoulder the cuff would heal itself without surgery. I was able to do that, and keep shooting my bow. I still do the exercises to help keep things going in the right direction.  Hopefully if you have a tear it’s not severe enough to require surgery.  Good luck.

Jason
Too many bows to list, and so many more I want to try!  Keep the wind in your face, and your broadheads sharp.

Offline dringge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2019, 10:43:55 AM »
My therapist did help me quite a bit. And like you said changing way I lifted made a difference in how my shoulder felt. I had fallen into some sloppy habits. I really dont want to do surgery if I dont have to.
Right now I need to find a lower poundage bow to work with to help my strength. I only shoot 44 lbs as is. Id like to find a light set of limbs for a Samick Sage to work with. Light weight and inexpensive.
NRA Life Member

GCook

« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2019, 12:11:47 PM »
The surgery is no problem.  Don't hurt a bit.  I slept through both of mine.
The months of healing and PT on the other hand . . .

Offline dbd870

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2019, 09:55:56 AM »
Hurt my arm 16 months ago (soft tissue); couldn’t draw enough to get anything close to any real practice. (hunted with a crossbow this last season) I got some 20# limbs for my takedown and I’m finally able to practice enough with only some minimal soreness that I will be on the 3D course with it this spring. Will I get back to handle hunting weight; we’ll see. Anyways don’t give up and do what you can. It sure feels nice to have a recurve of any kind back in my hand
SWA Spyder

Offline Wind D Ranch

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2019, 10:39:12 AM »
The surgery is no problem.  Don't hurt a bit.  I slept through both of mine.
The months of healing and PT on the other hand . . .

Yep, that about sums it up.  :o

I had my right shoulder done in 2004 and will be doing my left shoulder in less than 2 weeks.
NRA Endowment Member.

"Magna est veritas sed rara" (Archers are all honorable men)  The White Company by A. Conan Doyle

Thanks for everything, dad.

Offline dringge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2019, 12:55:51 PM »
MRI followup appointment this afternoon. We will see what the doc says. Im really hoping she tells me Im a big wuss and I just need some therapy to strengthen things.
NRA Life Member

Offline goobersan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2019, 04:04:40 PM »
Better than ever after surgery & PT. Kicking myself for waiting so long. Best of luck to ya  :thumbsup:

Online Bowguy67

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2019, 04:17:11 PM »
I have/had major issues. Dr said I needed surgery. Wouldn’t let em. I rehabbed it n missed nothing
62” Robertson Primal Overdrive 57lbs
62” Robertson Primal Overdrive 52lbs
62” Robertson Primal Overdrive 53lbs
62” Robertson Fatal Styx 47lbs
64” Toelke Whip 52lbs
58” Black Widow PSA 64lbs
62” Black Widow PSA 54lbs
60” Bighorn Grand Slam 60lbs
60” Bear Kodiak Hunter 50lbs painted black. My uncles bow. He may be gone but his spirit isn’t. Bow will hunt again
52” Bear Kodiak Magnum 50lbs

GCook

« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2019, 04:40:36 PM »
I have/had major issues. Dr said I needed surgery. Wouldn’t let em. I rehabbed it n missed nothing
Rehab won't fix full thickness tests in your bicep tendon or when your labrum is 2/3s torn off.

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2019, 05:41:27 PM »
As already stated, follow the doctor's advice to the letter, and do the physical therapy diligently. I was lucky in that the rotator cuff was not torn, but the Labrum was. My surgery went fine, and I lost very little in strength. The one issue I have is that if I turn my bow horizontal, as is sometimes needed in some of the funky 3D shots, I can't draw it all the way back. However, I was shooting a light bow in about 3 weeks and had no trouble with my hunting bow in about 2 months after that. Good luck and keep at it!
Sam

Online Bowguy67

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2019, 06:02:19 PM »
Rehab won't fix full thickness tests in your bicep tendon or when your labrum is 2/3s torn off.

Don’t know what you’re saying but-
MRI said, on my better shoulder now, tendinitis, brucitis, arthritis, bony tumor, bony cysts, bone spurs, fluid in shoulder, rotator cuff tear and the bicep tendon is grossly attached.
On my other shoulder the worse one I blew the long head of bicep off shoulder. The bicep tendon was not able to be replaced. The Dr told me for tendinitis I think it was, one cure would be cutting it anyway.
Now I’ve had brain surgery and my balance is off so I now use machines. I can still max out at 8 reps every machine. This is no bs, I’ve piwerlifted since a child.
Now when my daughter was a year old I couldn’t pick her up. Couldn’t even raise my arms up without lots pain. I have a high pain tolerance but it hurt enough to throb every night. This was both shoulders. I went to pt when they said I needed surgery. My daughter is 17 now and I never missed a thing. Never stopped shooting though I did shoot less, never stopped hunting. Surgeons always want to do surgery. Not necessary imo.
64” Toelke Whip 52lbs
60” Bear Kodiak Hunter 50lbs painted black. My uncles bow. He may be gone but his spirit isn’t. Bow will hunt again

Offline dringge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2019, 06:57:27 AM »
I have a tendon torn loose and the muscle has retracted a bit. Surgery to be setup. The doc tells me I will be in a sling for 6 weeks then therapy. Ill be 68 in April and dont heal quite as fast as I once did.
NRA Life Member

Online Bowguy67

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: February 02, 2019, 08:09:34 AM »
I have a tendon torn loose and the muscle has retracted a bit. Surgery to be setup. The doc tells me I will be in a sling for 6 weeks then therapy. Ill be 68 in April and dont heal quite as fast as I once did.
Good luck to you buddy
64” Toelke Whip 52lbs

Offline Burly

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: February 02, 2019, 09:34:58 AM »
I have had both shoulders done. The left one in 2012 and the right one last year. Now the left one is having issues again. Like what's been said the surgery was a breeze ( except when I was given the nerve block while not under ) that was excruciating. The recovery sucks, sleeping in a recliner and pt exercises. But after its all said and done, it's worth it. Good luck.

Offline goobersan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: February 02, 2019, 03:47:28 PM »
X2
Good luck Dennis !  My tendon was completely detached and tucked in nicely by my collar bone. You have a couple years on me but recovery is completely doable. My dad had his second shoulder done at your age.
Please keep us posted

Offline pdk25

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: February 02, 2019, 03:51:35 PM »
Sorry to hear about your situation.  Good luck with the surgery and rehab.  I was a little unclear on how you actually injured the shoulder.  Repetetive stress from lifting weights?

Offline dringge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: February 02, 2019, 05:19:45 PM »
Sorry to hear about your situation.  Good luck with the surgery and rehab.  I was a little unclear on how you actually injured the shoulder.  Repetetive stress from lifting weights?
Im not positive on how I injured the shoulder but I believe its a combination of things. Ive been an bowhunter for many years and the last few that shoulder has hurt after prolonged practice or a 3D shoot. I retired just over a year ago and began working out at the YMCA to help get me in to better shape. I did start pushing the amount of weight I was lifting and I believe that I just plane overdid it too soon. I think I probably already had a partial injury and just aggravated it to the point of failure. Right now I cant hold my bow arm up to where I would normally hold to shoot. Im still trying but I dont want to make it any worse. I guess I wont be chasing spring turkeys this year.
NRA Life Member

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©