3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Chuck Jones 'Osage Royale' longbow...some observations  (Read 3242 times)

Offline TSP

• Trad Bowhunter
Chuck Jones 'Osage Royale' longbow...some observations
« on: January 23, 2019, 07:33:30 PM »
Although I've shot many longbows over the years I'd never laid eyes on these bows until a few weeks ago when I saw an ad for a used one on The Footed Shaft website, in like-new condition. 

Although some quick researching didn't turn up much regarding past history on these bows, I liked it's looks (all osage...wow!), lines and specs (64", 47#@28") so decided to take the plunge. 

It arrived yesterday, and after corresponding with bowyer Chuck Jones for some useful info (thanks Chuck!) I made a new 12-strand B-50 string for it (FF isn't recommended) and took it out back for some test shots in the snow.  I've only put about 50 shots through it so far, but I have to say I'm very impressed. 

All that osage is eye-catching, striking, and somehow 'rustic' all at the same time, even though it hasn't yet mellowed to it's eventual deep amber color so will get even better with each passing year.  With a mild R/D limb design it still retains a fairly deep and narrow grip typical of most ASL-style bows.  This particular grip is straight (my favorite), leather-covered, and very similar to my Hill Wesley Special in feel and shape...very comfortable and form-fitting to the hand.  The limb tips are quite small and since no micarta was used on this particular bow (although it is an option on new bows) the bowyer recommends only B-50 or B-55 dacron be used.  But, he did say that some owners have used FF with the loops built up with extra strands of dacron and haven't had problems.  Osage is strong stuff!

For a 64" bow drawn to 28" (my draw length) this bow felt surprisingly smooth and comfortable, with no hint of stack.  Arrows were newly-built (like yesterday) 470 gr. 55-60# spine cedars with 125 grain points and three 5" shield-cut feathers.  They behaved very nicely off the bow without any hint of wandering... suggesting these bows can handle a stiffer spine without issues.  Arrow speed wasn't measured (no chronograph) but based purely on visual comparison the bow is no slouch, appearing a tad faster than my 51#@28" Hill Big Five longbow with similar 10 gr./lb. of draw arrows.  Accuracy was excellent out to 20 yards and required some careful shot choices after several consecutive 'near-nockbuster' hits.  With golfball-size yarn puffs on that B-50 dacron string (I prefer silencers on all my bows, even if they are already quiet) it was nearly silent to me as I shot it...I can't imagine a critter would hear much of anything at typical 'hunting shot' ranges.

Needless to say, I'm very pleased with this bow and new/used prices are very reasonable for this level of quality design and construction.  So if you're in the market for a stable, quiet and 'plenty quick enough' hunting bow you might want to give Chuck Jones' 'Osage Royale' a hard look. 

I don't have pics yet but will try and post a few later.         

Macatawa

Re: Chuck Jones 'Osage Royale' longbow...some observations
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2019, 09:07:32 AM »
Although I've shot many longbows over the years I'd never laid eyes on these bows until a few weeks ago when I saw an ad for a used one on The Footed Shaft website, in like-new condition. 

Although some quick researching didn't turn up much regarding past history on these bows, I liked it's looks (all osage...wow!), lines and specs (64", 47#@28") so decided to take the plunge. 

It arrived yesterday, and after corresponding with bowyer Chuck Jones for some useful info (thanks Chuck!) I made a new 12-strand B-50 string for it (FF isn't recommended) and took it out back for some test shots in the snow.  I've only put about 50 shots through it so far, but I have to say I'm very impressed. 

All that osage is eye-catching, striking, and somehow 'rustic' all at the same time, even though it hasn't yet mellowed to it's eventual deep amber color so will get even better with each passing year.  With a mild R/D limb design it still retains a fairly deep and narrow grip typical of most ASL-style bows.  This particular grip is straight (my favorite), leather-covered, and very similar to my Hill Wesley Special in feel and shape...very comfortable and form-fitting to the hand.  The limb tips are quite small and since no micarta was used on this particular bow (although it is an option on new bows) the bowyer recommends only B-50 or B-55 dacron be used.  But, he did say that some owners have used FF with the loops built up with extra strands of dacron and haven't had problems.  Osage is strong stuff!

For a 64" bow drawn to 28" (my draw length) this bow felt surprisingly smooth and comfortable, with no hint of stack.  Arrows were newly-built (like yesterday) 470 gr. 55-60# spine cedars with 125 grain points and three 5" shield-cut feathers.  They behaved very nicely off the bow without any hint of wandering... suggesting these bows can handle a stiffer spine without issues.  Arrow speed wasn't measured (no chronograph) but based purely on visual comparison the bow is no slouch, appearing a tad faster than my 51#@28" Hill Big Five longbow with similar 10 gr./lb. of draw arrows.  Accuracy was excellent out to 20 yards and required some careful shot choices after several consecutive 'near-nockbuster' hits.  With golfball-size yarn puffs on that B-50 dacron string (I prefer silencers on all my bows, even if they are already quiet) it was nearly silent to me as I shot it...I can't imagine a critter would hear much of anything at typical 'hunting shot' ranges.

Needless to say, I'm very pleased with this bow and new/used prices are very reasonable for this level of quality design and construction.  So if you're in the market for a stable, quiet and 'plenty quick enough' hunting bow you might want to give Chuck Jones' 'Osage Royale' a hard look. 

I don't have pics yet but will try and post a few later.         

I have two...one 66" and the other is a 68"er..  Both have micarta/glass wedges in the limb tips.  I've been shooting the 66"er for about five years...(alot) without any hiccups.  She's got a dark tan and still shoots with authority sporting an FF string supplied by the bowyer.

Both of my bows have wedges and overlays on the limb tips

:archer:

Offline KyStickbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2019, 09:26:03 AM »
Would love to see pictures of it! I have been eyeballing Chuck’s bows here recently and really like them.
Aim small...Miss small!!

Online Steve Clandinin

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2019, 01:41:08 PM »
TSP ,great info and write up on this bow,I’m wondering what the difference is between the Royale and the Huuricane. The price on both are great with the price on the Hurricane is fantastic,I think I’ll be talking to Chuck.

Hurricane (newer model)
I have a newly made American Semi Longbow for sale.  Right hand,  66" long, 43#@28".About 1” reflex.  3 White ash lams, osage handle, natural leather lace wrap. Black Bo Tuff glass, micarta re-inforced tips.
Quote from Howard Hill.( Whenever he taught someone to shoot) "Son make up your mind right now if you want to target shoot or hunt as theres a world of differance between the two"

Offline flint kemper

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2019, 01:55:00 PM »
Steve the hurricane is not made with all Osage it is ash laminations and black glass.

Online Steve Clandinin

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2019, 02:15:07 PM »
Hey Flint,thanks ever so much,I tried to find a website for Chuck,I don’t think he has one.
Quote from Howard Hill.( Whenever he taught someone to shoot) "Son make up your mind right now if you want to target shoot or hunt as theres a world of differance between the two"

Offline flint kemper

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2019, 02:51:59 PM »
Steve, he has some Royales on the Sponsor classifieds. He doesn’t have a site for the Osage Royales. Don’t tell my wife but I have one on order.

Online Steve Clandinin

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2019, 05:08:57 PM »
Lol, Kemp my kids left home years ago and I’ve got so much stuff in my bow museum my wife never knows if one comes or goes,collecting for 55 years has gotten out of hand.

Offline TSP

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2019, 01:40:53 PM »
It finally stopped raining, here's a few pics.  Hope they're not too big.

Offline vintage archer

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2019, 07:40:45 PM »
 Chuck is a very accomplished craftsman. I have three of his 3 piece take downs. Great workmanship ...good design....great shooting....and reasonably priced.

Joe Furlong
Joe Furlong

Offline TSP

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2019, 09:24:30 PM »
I've had this bow for awhile now and am still impressed, it shoots great.  I like the shelf, it has a very neat indented (almost trough-like) shape that I haven't see on other ASL-type bows.  The grip fits the hand well and the Osage is starting to darken up very nicely.  All in all a great little bow.

Online Ulysseys

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2019, 07:43:37 PM »
That’s a bow that always catches my eye and now that it’s primarily the style I shoot Id certainly like to own one.  :archer2:
Type inspirational or witty quote here

Offline flint kemper

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2019, 08:11:06 PM »
Chuck is shipping my Royale on Thursday he said it is one of his best and the grain is really beautiful. Reflex about 3/4” 66” and 45@28”. Chuck is a friend and I look forward to getting this heirloom bow. My buddy Fletcher(Rick Stillman) on here made me up some test shafts as well and shipped them today.

Macatawa

« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2019, 11:02:21 AM »
Chuck is shipping my Royale on Thursday he said it is one of his best and the grain is really beautiful. Reflex about 3/4” 66” and 45@28”. Chuck is a friend and I look forward to getting this heirloom bow. My buddy Fletcher(Rick Stillman) on here made me up some test shafts as well and shipped them today.

"heirloom bow" for sure!   :wavey:

Offline Mudd

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2019, 12:01:13 PM »
I've been a Chuck Jones/Osage Royale fan before most folks other than Flint knew about them.

I honestly can't remember the year but I have one named Eternity(#092) 43@28.

If memory serves me correctly this bow may have given Tony Van Dort his first experience with Chuck's bows.

God bless,Mudd

Trying to make a difference
Psalm 37:4
Roy L "Mudd" Williams
TGMM- Family Of The Bow
Archery isn't something I do, it's who I am!
The road to "Sherwood" makes for an awesome journey.

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: April 10, 2019, 08:14:19 PM »
Seems like you found a real goody!
Sam

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©