3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: How many groundhog hunters we got here?  (Read 892 times)

Offline Keith361

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: How many groundhog hunters we got here?
« Reply #20 on: April 01, 2008, 01:24:00 PM »
Just waiting for another opportunity to get ahold of the one next door.

Keith
"If there must be trouble then let it be in my day, that my children may live in peace."   Thomas Paine
"Courage is being scared to death, but saddeling up anyway"
John Wayne

Offline Bill Turner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: April 01, 2008, 02:17:00 PM »
I cut my bowhunting teeth on groundhogs in Virginia in 1969/70. It is a great sport. Very challenging with traditional archery equipment I might add. Sorry to say, I have not found the whisle pigs in Texas. Prairie dogs, yes, ground hogs, no.  :banghead:

Offline joe vt

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: April 01, 2008, 02:22:00 PM »
We too used to have bunches of them here........but that was then and this is now.

I would love to hunt them again. Man we busted a tons of wood shafts on those ground grizzlies.
~ joe vt  >>>~~~~~~~~>

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Doc Nock

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: April 01, 2008, 02:38:00 PM »
I've had more whistle pigs duck my shafts than deer! That thread on low profile feathers /high FOC arrows got me thinking... they hear it coming?

now if I could just hunt along the wide areas along our bypasses, I could limit out! Last week's quick warm spell had em out along the sidehill about one to every 75 yards for 3 miles!   :banghead:    "[dntthnk]"
The words "Child" and "terminal illness" should never share the same sentence! Those who care-do, others question!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Sasquatch LB

Offline hunt it

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: April 01, 2008, 02:50:00 PM »
JC,

Any time you want, your welcome. Not sure you can get enough arras cross the border for a hog safari. Homeland Security might start asking questions. We take the smokepoles out and can get 120 to 150 a day! Hoggin is real hard on arras.
hunt it

Offline TimZeigler

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: April 01, 2008, 04:26:00 PM »
Where I grew up in Southern Pa seemed to be the birthplace of the ground grizzly, and the last time I was there the local population seemed to be doin just fine.  But I'll be darned if I can find one down here in the Lowcountry of SC.    :confused:
USMC 1992-2000
PBS Associate Member

Offline Ia Hawkeye

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: April 01, 2008, 04:36:00 PM »
I haven't bowhunted them since the 1960's. After reading this thread, I'm rareing to to go.

Offline reecool

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: April 01, 2008, 04:48:00 PM »
Just a little question , can you hunt them all year long in NY state  or there is a season ?
Because , i know my neighbors will be glad to get rid some of them and keep our gardens in better shape !
 Eric .

Offline dagwood64

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: April 01, 2008, 05:03:00 PM »
I was planning on trying it this year. What type of points/broadheads do you recommend? I am shooting a 50# ACS-CX, with Safari Grizzlystiks (506gr total). I was thinking of using the Bunny Busters by Ace, or a broadhead with the Adder points behind them. Thanks, Duane
DEER THE OTHER RED MEAT!

62" Sasquatch T/D Hybrid 47@28
64" Sasquatch T/D Static Tip RC 50@28
64" Flatliner Stealth 45@29
64" Thunderstick III 55@29, for now.
60" Big Rock Black Hunter 35/40@28 (Daughter's)

Sirach 2:1-11

Offline outbackbob48

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: April 01, 2008, 05:37:00 PM »
Dagwood64, Woodchucks are extemely tough an anything but sharp broadheads won't do, an then you may need to run a few down. Thats why there called pasture grizzly, tuff tuff tuff. Don't under estimate ther nose, surviors of rifle hunters can be as wary as any whitetail. Good Luck an Good Hunting.   Bob

Offline Chuck_Delsandro

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: April 01, 2008, 05:37:00 PM »
Dagwood64 for sodhogs may I suggest the cheapest arrows and broadheads you can find. I use stumpin arrows either of wood or alum with various (cheap) broadheads. I am still relatively new to groundhog hunting but I have spent some time with someone who has been doing it for years, and as many have already noted here, Groundhog huntin is hard on arrahs!  Oh just so you know they may take your arrow down there hole before they die, and unless you got a backhoe you will never see it again.
" It's not the breath you take, it's the moments that take your breath away"

Offline dagwood64

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: April 01, 2008, 06:19:00 PM »
Originally posted by outbackbob48:
Dagwood64, Woodchucks are extemely tough an anything but sharp broadheads won't do, an then you may need to run a few down. Thats why there called pasture grizzly, tuff tuff tuff. Don't under estimate ther nose, surviors of rifle hunters can be as wary as any whitetail. Good Luck an Good Hunting.   Bob
Thanks for the info. I already know of their craftiness and toughness. I used to hunt them out at my Grandparents farm when I was in my teens, using a 20ga shotgun, mostly stalking or ambush. Shot a few. They didn't die easy with #6 shot or 0000 buck. Just was wondering what everyone else used. Thanks, Duane
DEER THE OTHER RED MEAT!

62" Sasquatch T/D Hybrid 47@28
64" Sasquatch T/D Static Tip RC 50@28
64" Flatliner Stealth 45@29
64" Thunderstick III 55@29, for now.
60" Big Rock Black Hunter 35/40@28 (Daughter's)

Sirach 2:1-11

Offline b.glass

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: April 01, 2008, 10:49:00 PM »
Drew first blood on a ground hog. (Think I'll start calling them grizzlies). Have taken 2 of them. The third took two arrows down the hole with it. Found them chewed up pretty good later. The ones that didn't get away were shot with a woodsman. The first was a 26 yd. shot!
 :archer:
B.Glass, aka Mom, aka Longbowwoman
Gregory R. Glass Feb. 14th, 1989-April 1st, 2007; Forever 18.
TGMM Family of The Bow
Mark 5:36 "Don't be afraid, just believe".

Offline barebow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: April 02, 2008, 11:51:00 AM »
Try this tactic. When you see a groundhog in a field, just casually start walking slowly straight towards him. When he sees you, he’ll make a quick dash for the hole. After he is underground, then you jog quietly and softly around to the back side of his hole making sure you stay at least 15 or 20 yards away from him so he won’t hear you. Now you should be 180 degrees from where he last saw you. In a few minutes, he’ll get curious and pop his head and look where he last saw you. But, he won’t see you and then will climb out further for a better look exposing his back side. The rest is up to you.
"Killing an animal is intrinsic to the hunt. It shouldn't be glorified, but conducted with respect and reverence..." - Gene Wensel _ Primal Dreams

Offline Doug S

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: April 02, 2008, 11:55:00 AM »
MAn I love hunting those suckers. We don't have many where I am now though. The young ones sure taste great. I am jealous
Have fun guys!
The hunt is the trophy!

Offline Recurve50LBS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: April 02, 2008, 04:07:00 PM »
WANTED:
A friend or 2 or more to go hunting for Ground Hogs in NJ. If you have a place or a few places and would like company I'd be willing to go with ya.

Larry
Turkey Creek Longbow
62" 45# @ 28"

Thunder Stick Mag
56" 45# @ 28"

Offline Red Beastmaster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: April 02, 2008, 04:58:00 PM »
Chuck

As you know, hunting sod poodles is my passion! I'd give up deer hunting if I had to choose between the two.

We WILL get together again this summer! Best time is mid to late June. My daughter's wedding may have to wait if the hogs are runnin'!

Dave
There is no great fun, satisfaction, or joy derived from doing something that's easy.  Coach John Wooden

Offline Cherokee Scout

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: April 02, 2008, 06:33:00 PM »
I grew up hunting them in Ohio.
I enjoyed that as much as any hunting I have ever done.
There are not many groundhogs here in Alabama. I miss it.
John

Offline Chuck_Delsandro

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: April 02, 2008, 07:07:00 PM »
Hey Red!

Got a few ground grizzleys venturing out down my way! I plan on spending a few hours tomorrow in the woods to see if I can find some fresh holes.

I'm looking forward to our hunt this summer.

PS See ya in a few weeks!

Chuck
" It's not the breath you take, it's the moments that take your breath away"

Offline mike hall

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: April 02, 2008, 08:54:00 PM »
Just as much fun as bow fishing

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v293/tradbow/hog.jpg

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©