3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Best adhesive for glueing inserts for carbon arrow tips  (Read 10063 times)

Offline Butch46

• Trad Bowhunter
Best adhesive for glueing inserts for carbon arrow tips
« on: January 26, 2019, 09:30:06 PM »
What is the recommended adhesive to secure carbon arrow tip inserts?  Was thinking of using barge cement.  Would appreciate any comments.

Offline skeaterbait

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Best adhesive for glueing inserts for carbon arrow tips
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2019, 10:15:17 PM »
I still use Goat Tuff which is pretty much super glue but doesn't dry as brittle.
Skeater who?

Offline Jason W

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2019, 06:40:41 AM »

We have found Goattuff and AAE max bond to be the best. I have yet have an insert come out!
I have also been told Cool flex is good on carbon as well. I just got some new glues in! I will be trying cool flex on my testers to see how it preforms.
We just re stocked our adhesives.   :goldtooth:

Offline Littlejake

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2019, 07:09:48 AM »
I been using JB weld a 2 part epoxy haven't had any problems. You can get it at any hardware.
Try and be the person your dog thinks you are...
PBS Regular Member

Offline T Mowery

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2019, 08:35:03 AM »
JB x2
I think food is important and if you don't know how to cook, it's tragic." Julia Child

Offline deerfly

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2019, 09:05:23 AM »
i use the same hot melt glue I use on my woodies. Easy to remove or fine tune if want a particular blade orientation or remove if thread gets damaged or you want to try a different or heavier insert etc. Just need to clean the inside of the shaft and don't use too much heat on the shaft.

If worried about over heating the shaft then insert a field point into the insert and focus more heat on the point until it transfers enough heat to the insert to melt the glue then insert into the shaft. I use my broad heads on the inserts so I can rotate them the way I want.

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2019, 09:08:11 AM »
Yup deerfly..

X's 2

Online The Whittler

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2019, 09:33:05 AM »
I use Big Jim's hot melt works great and you can remove the inserts with a little heat on the points. Look up his site and watch his video on useing it.

I also use it on aluminum and wood.

Offline Dale in Pa

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2019, 10:19:38 AM »
I've posted this before but anyway, the key to making carbons bulletproof is to prep the shafts correctly and to use the strongest slow cure epoxy you can find.

When carbons are made they are wrapped on a mandrel, so a release agent is used on the mandrel so they can be pulled off. You have to clean and really abrade the inside of the shaft. I use a small piece of rolled up sandpaper and abrade the inside of the shaft until carbon dust starts appearing, then clean w alcohol or thinner.

I then glue them with Smooth On epoxy and let dry at least a day. Prepped this way they are so much more durable, I usually don't even foot them. Sure those other glues will work if you shoot nothing but targets, but sooner or later you're going to miss and hit something hard.

I would venture to say that the guys that complain about carbons mushrooming on the front end are the same ones who use hot melt or superglue  or don't take the time to prep the shaft properly. A friend and I spent years developing indestructable arrows for stumping and this is what we found. If you want to make them even more bulletproof, foot the tip and nock end with a small section of alum prepped and glued the same way. We can shoot those hard petrified stumps without damage. Let me close by saying that a carbons durability is only as strong as the glue bond at the tip.

Offline trad_bowhunter1965

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2019, 11:24:59 AM »
I use Devcon 2 ton epoxy on carbon insert and gluing broadheads on broadhead adapters works awesome. I now use it to glue my broadheads on my wood arrows.
" I am driven by those thing that rouse my traditional sense of archery and Bowhunting" G Fred Asbell

Trad Gang Hall of Fame
Yellowstone Longbows
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
Professional Bowhunters Society Associate Member
Retired 38 years DoD civilian.

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2019, 11:40:42 AM »
Barge cement really isn't the adhesive to use.  If you want a permanent bond, use an epoxy like those already mentioned.  If you want a reversible bond, use a hot/soft/cool melt glue.  The epoxy will also be a little stronger, helping to prevent shaft mushrooming behind the head on a hard hit.

Regardless, I've found carbon shafts are pretty tough, and I do a lot of experimenting with different front end weight combinations so I prefer the hot melt glues.   

Bisch

« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2019, 10:11:35 AM »
Big Jim’s Quick Stick hot melt is the best insert glue on the planet!!!!!

Bisch

Offline bigbadjon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2019, 01:03:50 PM »
I prep my shafts with acetone and glue with loctite 24 hr cure epoxy. It is permanent and strong.
Hoyt Tiburon 55#@28 64in
A&H ACS CX 61#@28in 68in (rip 8/3/14)

Online kennym

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2019, 01:06:58 PM »
Big Jim’s quick stick cause I change bows, arrows and points too much to make permanent.
Stay sharp, Kenny.

https://www.kennysarchery.com/

Offline Roger Norris

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2019, 02:04:41 PM »
I use JB Weld. For everything.
"Good Lord....well, your new name is Sledge."
Ron LaClair upon seeing the destruction of his new lock on the east gate

"A man that cheats in the woods will cheat anywhere"
G. Fred Asbell

Offline Dale in Pa

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: January 29, 2019, 04:30:38 PM »
"Big Jim’s Quick Stick hot melt is the best insert glue on the planet!!!!!"     That's one of the most ridiculous comments I've heard in a while.

GCook

« Reply #16 on: January 29, 2019, 07:34:41 PM »
i use the same hot melt glue I use on my woodies. Easy to remove or fine tune if want a particular blade orientation or remove if thread gets damaged or you want to try a different or heavier insert etc. Just need to clean the inside of the shaft and don't use too much heat on the shaft.

If worried about over heating the shaft then insert a field point into the insert and focus more heat on the point until it transfers enough heat to the insert to melt the glue then insert into the shaft. I use my broad heads on the inserts so I can rotate them the way I want.
This

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

GCook

« Reply #17 on: January 29, 2019, 07:38:06 PM »
I used insert iron for years but with trad I switch up stuff from time to time so it's nice to be able to remove the inserts if I want.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Bisch

« Reply #18 on: January 29, 2019, 07:54:11 PM »
"Big Jim’s Quick Stick hot melt is the best insert glue on the planet!!!!!"     That's one of the most ridiculous comments I've heard in a while.

Rediculous as it may be, I have been using this glue for years, and never had one single insert come loose from an arrow. I use brass inserts, and the fact that I can remove and reuse those rather expensive inserts when needed makes the Quick Stick a better choice than ANY permanent glue!!!!

So there!!!!

Bisch

Offline Tedd

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: January 29, 2019, 08:51:32 PM »
Currently I'm liking Goattuff "Impact".
Tedd

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©