3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: broadhead files?  (Read 2741 times)

Offline Tajue17

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
broadhead files?
« on: January 27, 2019, 07:44:40 AM »
didn't realize how dull my files are they are from Germany I forget where I got them but must be at least 20yrs old...    where can I get the best broadhead files around now?
« Last Edit: January 27, 2019, 08:34:28 AM by Tajue17 »
"Us vs Them"

Online rainman

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: broadhead files?
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2019, 08:42:22 AM »
Send to Boggs tool & file sharpening and get your old ones resharpened.
Semper Fidelis
Dan Raney

Offline deerfly

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2019, 08:54:10 AM »
grobet 6" mill bastard. I have the same one for over 20 years, still cuts fine. Use it on BH's and machetes.

Relatively speaking BH's are soft steel, so any quality mill bastard will work fine, just keep it clean and rust free.

Offline Cory Mattson

• Global Moderator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2019, 10:12:00 AM »
I have a lot of files that are high quality and made to last but I am not sure anymore that is so important for us who use files to sharpen broadheads. Last summer I grabbed a set of files from a pile of stuff near the cash register at Tractor Supply. Probably $6 and it was at least 3 files ? as I remember. They look cheap! Feel soft. Yet they rip though broadheads with easy just a few strokes full shaving sharp and that slight serrated jazzed edge that I like. New Files!!!! for me - not caring so much about quality.
<><
<--------------------------<<<<<<

Savannah River Bow Zone - Trad only Bowhunting Clubs and Camps

Offline Hummer3T

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2019, 10:19:41 AM »
not really files, but these work great, different colours are different coarseness.  use a coarse model for touching up dings and a fine file for those fine honings.

green and black are coarsest
« Last Edit: January 27, 2019, 02:17:23 PM by Hummer3T »
Life is about learning from your mistakes!

Chek-mate hunter I 62" riser with 60" limbs 49&42lbs@28

Samick Sage 62" 50lbs@28

Big Jim Mountain Monarch Recurve  60 inch / 50 lbs @ 28

Offline OkKeith

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2019, 11:00:03 AM »
Tajue17-

Take a look at the Nicholson Axe File (different from the Handy File). Its a handy size to pack along on hunts and has a single cut side for rough work and a nice double cut side for finish work.

The integrated flat handle is nice. I made a simple leather sheath to carry it in so it doesnt ding up stuff in my pack.

Looks like you can order them online in several places or you might find them at your local hardware or building supply.

OkKeith
In a moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing. The worst thing you can do is nothing.
Theodore Roosevelt

Offline Tajue17

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2019, 01:14:33 PM »
great everyone thank you for the posts and info,,,, going to be checking all these out.
"Us vs Them"

Online smokin joe

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2019, 05:17:57 PM »
I go to Tractor Supply and buy one 10-inch mill/bastard file and one chain saw raker file. I use the big one to start things off and the raker file to bring the edge to shaving sharpness. Pretty easy and darned inexpensive. Any regular hardware store would have both of those files in stock, too.
TGMM
Compton
PBS
Trad Gang Hall of Fame

Offline Todd Cook

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2019, 06:39:49 PM »
Something to try if you want. I've had pretty good luck with it: That "dull" file is probably more clogged/rusty that dull. Soak it in vinegar for about 3 days and then clean it with hot water. Dry it with a hairdryer or heat gun and then lightly oil it. Most of the ones I've done this way cut like new.

Offline bigbadjon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2019, 08:08:07 PM »
I'll second the eze lap diamond stone. It kills 2 birds with one stone. File sharpeners don't have to change their methods and you get a much more refined edge.
Hoyt Tiburon 55#@28 64in
A&H ACS CX 61#@28in 68in (rip 8/3/14)

Offline J-dog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2019, 12:50:19 PM »
Just use a hardware store bought 6" mill bastard. Small and it works fine. had it a long time still works good. No expert on metal but i use it and it makes them sharp.

J
Always be stubborn.

Captain hindsight to the rescue!

pavan

« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2019, 03:58:33 PM »
I like the files with the safety edges.  i guess they are common for sharpening chain saw blades.  These have the single row of file teeth that slightly jut off of the corner from the safety edge.  I sharpen very similar to Tom Musato.   With 3 to1 two blade heads, it is very effective, but my preference is single bevels, the serration comes on the beveled side of the blade, serrating into the flat side defeats the advantage of the angled serration.

Offline NY Yankee

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Wooden Bows, Wooden Arrows and 2-Blade Broadheads
« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2019, 10:02:16 AM »
The Nicholson Axe File is a good choice for a multi purpose file. I like their 10" flat Mill Bastard. I also like an Oregon 6" chainsaw file I get from the farm supply store (hardware store). Try cleaning yours too. Soak in vinegar and brush well with a proper file card. You may be pleasantly surprised.
"Elk don't know how many feet a horse has!"
Bear Claw Chris Lapp

Online fishone

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2019, 11:26:08 AM »
The ones that 3 Rivers sell works great. I have have several of them.

Offline Biathlonman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2019, 01:57:09 PM »
I use a Nicholson handy file most of all.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©