3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: HUNTING TENTS WHAT DO YOU USE  (Read 4385 times)

Offline Charger83

• Trad Bowhunter
HUNTING TENTS WHAT DO YOU USE
« on: January 27, 2019, 08:08:14 PM »
My brother owned our old canvas vent.I own the cylinder stove.My brother damaged the tent. We are looking for ideas on what to replaced it with.We do winter snow camping a good door is important.

Online stevem

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: HUNTING TENTS WHAT DO YOU USE
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2019, 08:22:08 PM »
I had an 8" x 12' canvas wall tent with internal steel frame.  Was nice, but basically took up most of the pickup bed.  I sold it and now have a Springbar canvas tent.  Made in Utah, walls near vertical, easy to set up, takes up about 1/4 of the size of the wall tent.  You can get most any options such as stove openings, etc.  I like mine.
"What was big was not the fish, but the chance.  What was full was not the creel, but the memory" - Aldo Leopold   "Good judgement comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgement"- Will Rogers

Offline John146

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2019, 08:33:15 PM »
I have a 12 x 14 Davis Wall Tent. First wall tent I have ever owned. It takes up 1/5 of my truck bed to haul. I have the internal frame so that includes the pipes for the frame. I have the pipes in their own tote bags, the tent is in its own duffle bag and all the connections has its own bag.

It has changed camping for me. I love the Big door and that you aren't bent over while in the tent.
Todd Trahan
All of Creation Gives God Glory!

Offline Charger83

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2019, 08:34:19 PM »
Do you know who manufactured that tent

Offline Charger83

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2019, 08:36:40 PM »
That davis Tent sounds great

Offline OkKeith

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2019, 08:38:11 PM »
Another vote for the Springbar tent. A Buddy has one we use a lot. His has various rooms you can zip on and off or use a room as a small tent. His has a neoprene (maybe silicone?) stove jack for the Sheepherders stove. We have weathered many a storm in it.

OkKeith
In a moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing. The worst thing you can do is nothing.
Theodore Roosevelt

Offline R.V.T.B.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2019, 08:53:22 PM »
I have a Davis wall tent as well, along with a three dog stove.  Myself and my hunting buddies have spent numerous nights in it in comfort down into the single digits.

Offline Charger83

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2019, 09:19:13 PM »
THANKS GUYS FOR THE FED BACK ON STOVE AND TENTS.

Online Kelly

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2019, 09:36:46 PM »
Didn’t know Springbar tents had an option stove Jack. Can’t seem to find that on their website unless you are talking about their wall tents?
>>>>============>

Enjoy the flight of an arrow amongst Mother Nature's Glory!

Once one opens the mind to the plausible, the unbelievable becomes possible!

>>>>============>

Yours for better bowhunting, Kelly

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2019, 09:51:04 PM »
Hard to beat a canvas wall tent for end of the road and winter camping.  I have an Eena wall tent (Beckel Canvas Products) out of Portland, Oregon.  Excellent tent.  For bivouacking, I use a 6-person Kifaru.  Very light and pack stove compatible.  The six person is about the right size for two people and their gear. Though I haven't used it in winter/heavy snow, I would have no reservation about doing so.  8-person would be even better for two people to handle the extra winter gear, but the footprint gets a bit large.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2019, 11:48:44 PM by Orion »

Offline OkKeith

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2019, 01:21:33 AM »
Hey Kelly...

Called my Buddy Dave about his tent. It seems Springbar doesn't make the model he has with the three zip on/ zip off rooms any more but he said the closest is the Springbar Family 7. He looked at the Springbar website while we were on the phone and we found an old photo of the one he has (see below). Dave and his people are from New Mexico and he said that his Dad had someone sew a jack into the tent many years ago so they could use a stove on elk hunts.

We have stayed in it quite a few times. Its made of the old school canvas and is heavy but for drive up camping its the BEST.

OkKeith

In a moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing. The worst thing you can do is nothing.
Theodore Roosevelt

Offline Jason W

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2019, 06:21:46 AM »
My back pack tent.
Tarptent
&
Canvas type for the “not back pack” camping

Online ozy clint

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2019, 03:07:30 PM »
i have a kifaru 12 man tipi for family camping. it's a palace. comfortably accommodates family of 4. fits in a pillow case when packed.
Thick fog slowly lifts
Jagged peaks and hairy beast
Food for soul and body.

Border black douglas recurve 70# and 58# HEX6 BB2 limbs

Offline wingnut

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2019, 04:14:13 PM »
Well we are tent poor.  I have a canvas 16 x 20 with 5 ft walls and a 4 dog - 5dog stove for truck camping for up to 6 guys.
12 man kifaru for Alaska fly in hunts when there are only 2 of us and a 16 man Kifaru when we have 3/4 going.  Both Kifarus are equipped with 4 dog Ti stoves.

Mike
Mike Westvang

Offline 76Aggie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2019, 04:53:27 PM »
When truck hunting and weight is not an issue, I like my 10X14 Kodiak Canvass like the one pictured above.  When weight is critical, I like a teepee style like my Seek Outside.

Offline outbackbob48

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2019, 08:56:40 PM »
I have a 12x12 panther primitive pyramid tent with a 2 dog stove. I can set this tent up by myself less than ten minutes. Great for drive up winter camping, withstood some rough weather in this while cat trapping in Penna. Hang all my clothes on center pole and nice and dry and ready for next days adventure. Bob

pavan

« Reply #16 on: January 29, 2019, 06:27:49 PM »
My Eena tents are from the egyptian sail canvas days.  a 9 by 9 bakers with all of the front closures, which makes it 15 by 9.  my other is the standard Eena wall tent.  i use the Dog Night heater.  I use a lifted grill grid in the heater and burn charcoals.  If the charcoals lay on the bottom of the heater, they eventually start to smother themselves.  My Baker has the aluminum center ridge with the uprights in the front corners, my wall tent has the single aluminum center truss with one by wood sidewall uprights.

Offline Roadkill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: January 29, 2019, 10:13:03 PM »
Springbar. And seek outside tipi. The Springbar held up to heavy wet snow snow when others around us failed.  We had to chop trees off the trucks, but we were dry.  On a side note, we never cook in our tent-make coffee yes, but not cook to keep oils and doors out
Cast a long shadow-you may provide shade to someone who needs it.  Semper Fi

Online mjh

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: January 29, 2019, 10:35:21 PM »
Snowtrekker makes some larger tents these days,,,,,worth checking out.....have a 9.5 X 11. 

Offline R. Scott Zuerker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: January 29, 2019, 10:38:09 PM »
I love a cowboy teepee. Mine is a Reliable 10x10 with 4 foot walls which provide quite a bit of extra room. One pole and super simple to set up with one person. Mine handled 35 mph winds without missing a beat in Kansas this year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
R Scott Zuerker

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©