3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Trade Point Broadheads  (Read 5234 times)

Offline Zwickey-Fever

• Trad Bowhunter
Trade Point Broadheads
« on: January 29, 2019, 02:47:06 PM »
I am just wondering how many here shoot trade point broadheads like the Stevens Steel Trade Points? Some people call them "spoon heads" and that's because some have made broadheads from spoons. If any of you have used these heads I would like to hear your input, the pros & cons. Thanks, JMG

Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;
Genesis 27:3

Offline bigbadjon

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Trade Point Broadheads
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2019, 03:15:40 PM »
I have used ones I made myself. The only real downside is they are trickier to align to get a true spin. The ones I made were made out of knife steel, heat treated, and I omitted the tang. They attached by holes cut into the blade. Depending on the make they may be prone to bending at the tang if not heat treated.
Hoyt Tiburon 55#@28 64in
A&H ACS CX 61#@28in 68in (rip 8/3/14)

Offline Zwickey-Fever

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2019, 03:27:13 PM »
I have used ones I made myself. The only real downside is they are trickier to align to get a true spin. The ones I made were made out of knife steel, heat treated, and I omitted the tang. They attached by holes cut into the blade. Depending on the make they may be prone to bending at the tang if not heat treated.
Thanks Jon, I done some research and from what I have found, these particular points are made from old circular saw blades. I would believe they would be needed to be heated up and tempered, I believe I want to try these and see how they fly and yes, the alignment will be harder than other broadheads such as Zwickeys.
Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;

Offline Skipmaster1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2019, 04:20:21 PM »
I made this one from an annealed file and then heat treated it. I hafted it just like a stone point. Spin perfect and flew great. Next time it will be wider although it left a great bloodtrail.

Online Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2019, 04:28:58 PM »
Here are a few I've used. Made for me by a friend. They are within 5grs in weight. These are on a new set of Sitka spruce arrows...

Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Zwickey-Fever

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2019, 04:56:24 PM »
They are some beautiful broadheads and arrows for sure. I definitely like how you made with that file, That's shows true craftsmanship my friend. I had a friend of mine that swears by them but he also said they can be time consuming. I am thinking of trying some myself.

Offline Skipmaster1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2019, 05:00:32 PM »
They are some beautiful broadheads and arrows for sure. I definitely like how you made with that file, That's shows true craftsmanship my friend. I had a friend of mine that swears by them but he also said they can be time consuming. I am thinking of trying some myself.

The one I made took 45 minutes start to finish. Another 5 to hafted it. Probably took longer to grind and cut my turkey feathers. I took it out two days later and ran it through a deer. An annealed file us easy to work with a belt sander.

Offline Skipmaster1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2019, 05:05:13 PM »
The head held up perfect

Offline Zwickey-Fever

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2019, 05:16:40 PM »
It looks like you took some time making that head, Its a true work of art that looks like it has many days left in the field. Taking a animal with a broadhead that you made yourself has to bring some self reliant pride and happiness. It does me when I take deer with one of my wooden arrows that I crafted myself.

GCook

« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2019, 05:40:13 PM »
Impressed!

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Offline Skipmaster1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2019, 05:56:00 PM »
This was my first time making and hunting with wood arrows. I used turkey feathers from a turkey I killed with my recurve and sinew from a deer with my recurve as well. I killed a small buck with a chert head my buddy made me and then I made this trade point to match the weight. There is a lot of satisfaction in putting the time and effort into crafting an arrow like this

Offline Zwickey-Fever

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2019, 09:18:16 PM »
I am eager to try this,,Its going to be more satisfying just knowing that I made everything from what I can find such as a old file or rasp. Thanks once again for taking the time to post some pics for me.

Online Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2019, 10:00:29 PM »
Circular saw blades, band saw blades and metal banding all make good trade points. I think Jay Massey used metal banding he got from the Alaskan Railroad for his trade points.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline bigbadjon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2019, 11:17:59 PM »
If you make one out of a circular saw blade it can't be one with bonded teeth. They use a mild steel on those that can't be tempered.
Hoyt Tiburon 55#@28 64in
A&H ACS CX 61#@28in 68in (rip 8/3/14)

Offline Zwickey-Fever

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2019, 07:15:53 AM »
Thanks for the much appreciated information everyone. I just ordered the Bearpaw self nock jig to help me making the actual slots for the trade point.

Offline tippit

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: January 30, 2019, 08:59:41 AM »
I've forged several different designs from halfed on to ones with posts to insert into carbon shafts.  Used to put them on St Judes Auction as Team Tippit Broadheads...tippit

Then I'd torture test them all to make sure they would stand up and not split the shafts...
TGMM Family of the Bow
VP of Consumption MK,LLC

Offline tippit

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: January 30, 2019, 09:15:02 AM »
They work fine...for bears I'd forge them to 300 grains.
TGMM Family of the Bow
VP of Consumption MK,LLC

Offline Zwickey-Fever

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: January 30, 2019, 09:20:07 AM »
Great looking head there Mr. Springer. I love how rough they look. You surely know what your doing with your forge. They are some many variables I can choose from in regards to making these broadheads and I can assure you, they will truly look primitive.  I will definitely going to the 3 to 1 formula, looks like what you have done there Mr. Springer?? Thank you so much for posting the pictures as well. I can get a better concept on what direction I wanna go.

Offline Zwickey-Fever

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: January 30, 2019, 09:21:03 AM »
They work fine...for bears I'd forge them to 300 grains.
WOW!! Simply amazing my friend

Offline Skipmaster1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: January 30, 2019, 09:54:38 AM »
Beautiful heads!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©