3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: palmer t/d  (Read 395 times)

Offline PAPA BEAR

• Trad Bowhunter
palmer t/d
« on: April 01, 2008, 09:45:00 AM »
cosidering buying a palmer t/d recurve,never shot one appreciate any input on how they shoot.how about compared to a widow ? thanks  :help:
IT'S NEVER WRONG TO DO WHATS RIGHT AND NEVER RIGHT TO DO WHATS WRONG.....LOU HOLTZ

Offline deermaster1

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: palmer t/d
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2008, 12:08:00 PM »
how do they compare? they are both too expensive for me!!!lol
"I dont want my country to do anything for me, I want to do everything I can do for my country"~~~Ted Nugent

Offline Tajue17

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2008, 12:22:00 PM »
I have both and they are nice bows..  I'd go with a PSR (shorter riser & longer limbs)w/asbell grip if I could only have one..

its a toss up!
"Us vs Them"

Offline Tajue17

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2008, 12:23:00 PM »
actually I should of mentioned I'm comparing my 60" double carbon Classic model to my 60" PSR
"Us vs Them"

Offline ksbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2008, 06:38:00 PM »
I shoot Palmers and am very pleased with them.I have shot alot of good brand name bows,but won't use there names and Palmers were my favorite.I always buy used,so I don't have the big outlay of cash.I've never shot a widow though so I can't compare the two,but I've always heard good things about them(widows).You won't be disappointed in the Palmer.  Ben
I would've taken better care of myself,if I'd known I was gonna live this long!

Offline rockz

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2008, 07:08:00 PM »
Palmers are great bows!As good or better than any bow out there.
I've shot a widow and to me the Palmer was smoother.

Offline Diamond Paul

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2008, 09:06:00 PM »
Palmers are very similar to Bob Lee recurves.  I have always found the Lee bows smoother and more shootable, but that can vary greatly from bow to bow with any maker.  A good Palmer is going to be a good shooting bow, and they have a reputation for being pretty fast as recurves go.  Basically, if you've ever shot a Bob Lee, you know about what a Palmer is going to feel like; the grip, limb bolt system, and materials are essentially the same.  Paul.
“Sometimes the shark go away, sometimes he wouldn’t go away.” Quint, from Jaws

Offline D Harris

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2008, 09:31:00 PM »
I just picked up a Palmer T-Slam..........I love it. However I did have an Ironwood that I liked very much also.

Dave

Offline Desperado

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2008, 09:47:00 PM »
Some years ago I went to a trad rendezvous with the intention of getting my first top of the line recurve. I shot many bows from various bowers and then shot some Palmers. They were very nice, shot well  and I shot a lot of arrows out of several Palmer models and weights.I was going to buy one but before I did I thought I would shoot a Widow. I only shot a few arrows out of the Widow and that was that!I have owned a Widow ever since and have never looked back. I guess that's why they make chocolate, vanilla, strawberry and Chunky-Monkey ice cream! Cottonwood

Offline gregg dudley

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2008, 09:56:00 PM »
If you are buying new, there is no doubt at all that I would choose Black Widow if I were you.  Customer service is not just a slogan with those boys, it is their creed.  They make a great product and stand by it.  

If you are buying used, shoot before you buy if possible.  I have only handled one widow of dozens that I thought was a slug, but there are varying reports out there on the Palmers.  

I absolutely love the Widows that I own, but I have been handling a used Palmer for the last two days that is some shakes as well.
MOLON LABE

Traditional Bowhunters Of Florida
Come shoot with us!

Offline BD

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2008, 10:08:00 PM »
Based on the bow alone, I would choose the Palmer hands down, although BW definitely wins in the customer service department.
BD

Offline Diamond Paul

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2008, 11:46:00 PM »
Yes, as mentioned above, I thought this was a used bow you were considering.  If it's a new bow, a Palmer is absolutely the last bow I'd ever consider buying.  Read into that what you will. . . .
“Sometimes the shark go away, sometimes he wouldn’t go away.” Quint, from Jaws

Offline Mike Brown

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2008, 11:57:00 PM »
I have owned several of both.

Both shoot great.  Ocasionally you will run into a Palmer that is loud for one reason or another.

Black Widow is easier to do business with and will get you a bow a lot quicker.

Offline John Stockman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2008, 12:17:00 PM »
I owned two Palmers that I bought new.  Both were good shooters, fast and smooth but noisy.  On one a bottom limb delaminated after I had had it for about a month.  I called Mike Palmer and told him what had happened.  He said to send him the bow and he would make me a set of replacement limbs.  He did, but took 15 minths to do so.

Offline Moon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2008, 02:32:00 PM »
I own two Palmers and both shoot great.  I've owned them for several years without any problems whatsoever.  I just string them up and they're ready to go.  They're accurate, fast, no recoil (none) and look great.  They may be a little louder than my widow PSA but put a nice string with wooly whispers on it and it's pretty quiet.  The deer/pig/javalinas that I've shot never heard it coming.  I sure would love a new Palmer trad slam but can't justify the expense because it won't make me a better shooter.  

For what it's worth, Mike and Nancy Palmer have always treated me kindly and once when I visited his shop he treated me to lunch.  I'm nobody special just a regular guy and he has always taken time to answer my questions.

As far as how the Palmer compares to a widow, well, all I can say is both are great shooting bows.  However, I seem to use my Palmer more than my widow when hunting.  It does seem a little faster in the speed department but that really doesn't matter because it's where you hit them that counts.  

BTW, I also own a Bob Lee recurve and that is a great bow too.    

If I had to pick only one it would be my Palmer double carbon.  It always shoots fast and accurate but in the end all these bows are quality bows and will any animal anytime as long as you put it in the pump station.

Hope this helps.

Good luck.
Moon

Offline Tbay

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: April 02, 2008, 06:07:00 PM »
I have owned and shot both and personally liked the Palmer grip the most but it would be hard to live on the difference between these two top shooting bows.  Flip a coin, you can't go wrong with either one!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©