3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: martin hunter recurve?  (Read 503 times)

Offline deermaster1

• Trad Bowhunter
martin hunter recurve?
« on: April 01, 2008, 12:03:00 PM »
is the "hunter" the same design as the damon howatt hunter?  if so, why did they change the name?  and would it be a good bow to buy for hunting?  thanks for any info!
"I dont want my country to do anything for me, I want to do everything I can do for my country"~~~Ted Nugent

Offline JRY309

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: martin hunter recurve?
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2008, 12:17:00 PM »
I believe all Martin Traditional bows are still being built at the Damon Howatt archery building.I believe they changed to the Martin name in about 1991 but not sure.Martin or Damon Howatt hunter recurves are excellent bows.I think they make a great hunting bow,fast and smooth shooting.You can get great buys on Martin's or Damon Howatt's.

Offline donnyjack

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2008, 12:18:00 PM »
Yes it is the same bow and it was always called the "Hunter".  Damon Howatt was the old company name and Martin used that name for a number of years, and still does in some cases, but due to some confussion in recent years they have dropped the Damon Howatt name and replaced it with the Mother Company name "Martin".

DJ
Love Life, Bowhunt, Flyfish, and Play a Martin Guitar                        :thumbsup:

Offline SCATTERSHOT

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2008, 12:35:00 PM »
donnyjack nailed it.
"Experience is a series of non - fatal mistakes."

Offline deermaster1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2008, 12:37:00 PM »
thanks for the info!
"I dont want my country to do anything for me, I want to do everything I can do for my country"~~~Ted Nugent

Offline Benny Nganabbarru

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2008, 05:31:00 PM »
It's an excellent bow for hunting. Mine (and it's now my brother's) has accounted for donkeys, brumbies, a pig, goats, and a buffalo. It's a really good bow with an impressive 40 year history.
TGMM - Family of the Bow

Offline horatio1226

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2008, 07:48:00 PM »
I just got one in the mail today that I bought from the classifieds. 62AMO 50#@28 FOR $175 shipped with a new sring.The bow is saaaweet!
Brian
"So long as the moon returns to the heavens in a bent, beautiful arc, so long will the fascination with archery in man lasts."

Offline JCJ

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2008, 09:17:00 PM »
I have a Damon Howatt Hunter from the 1970's and it is the shootingest bow I've owned. It is 62" marked 45 @28". I draw nearly 31" and it just smokes my 610 gr. cedar arrows. I was just out shooting it and a recently acquired one-piece Blacktail 64", 48 @ 29" and it is visbly faster than the Blacktail. Furthermore, it's only slightly less smooth even though the Blacktail is 2" longer and has bamboo limbs.

I keep trying to find something that shoots better and I haven't been able. Larry Hatfield and the folks at Howatt had things figured out if this bow I have is typical.

Offline Predator1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2008, 10:14:00 PM »
I have an 89' model Howatt Hunter. Very nice bow for the money. I actually picked mine up used for $125 and it was in perfect condition. I am no bow expert as this is my only bow but I really like it. I did shoot a Bob Lee recurve at one of the local shoots last year and in no way would I pay over $600 for the Lee vs the hunter. Yeh, it drew smoother but I thought my bow was just as smooth on the shot and held as well. Some of the older Hunters were known to stack pretty good after 28" and mine does. The last two inches draw on mine is tough. Its a 55@28.

Offline GingivitisKahn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2008, 11:29:00 PM »
I like mine a ton (even if I am saving pennies for a nifty HH longbow).  It really seems to move the arrows pretty crisply.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©