3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Do you look behind you in the bear woods?  (Read 1570 times)

Offline Inhimwelive

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Do you look behind you in the bear woods?
« Reply #60 on: April 03, 2008, 12:12:00 PM »
No not really but I did have some problems with one at work.. We had a sow with cubs that kept getting in the dumpster.. My issue was for some reason when I would go outside she always thought I was her waiter.. I work 2nd shift and when I would go out at night she would popup and head right towards me.. So I definitely got in the habit of looking around as I went to my car..I have some funny pics of when they bear proofed the dumpster.. She came up realized she couldn't open the lid so she climbed up and in all of a few seconds slid in between the doors.
In Him we live and move and have our being , make a joyful noise, sing unto the Lord, tell him of your love, dance before him...

Offline Don Thomas

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #61 on: April 03, 2008, 12:13:00 PM »
Was it good for you too, Brian?

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #62 on: April 03, 2008, 12:20:00 PM »
Brian isn't talking about that.   Sore subject.  Well, something was sore anyway.
  :bigsmyl:  
ChuckC

Offline joe skipp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #63 on: April 03, 2008, 12:23:00 PM »
After surviving one Grizzly attack in Montana back in '85, I was out again in '89 with the same guide and YES...I was always throwing glances over my shoulder ESPECIALLY
"Neal...is this heaven?" "No Piute but we are dam close". Top of the Mtn in Medicine Bow Nat Forest.

Offline joe skipp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #64 on: April 03, 2008, 12:25:00 PM »
After surviving one Grizzly attack in Montana back in '85, I was out again in '89 with the same outfitter and YES...I was always throwing glances over my shoulder ESPECIALLY when we were heading off the Mountains at dark....  :scared:
"Neal...is this heaven?" "No Piute but we are dam close". Top of the Mtn in Medicine Bow Nat Forest.

Offline Hattrick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #65 on: April 03, 2008, 09:42:00 PM »
Grizzly attack that sucks!! U must be 1 tuff cat, great story to tell ur grandkids, i would like to hear it too. Did u kill him?? I had to ask.
Bull

Offline Brian Krebs

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #66 on: April 03, 2008, 09:49:00 PM »
After the third night in a row that he attacked me; he said " you ain't up here for the hunting are you boy?".
  :biglaugh:
THE VOICES HAVEN'T BOTHERED ME SINCE I STARTED POKING THEM WITH A Q-TIP.

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #67 on: April 03, 2008, 10:27:00 PM »
:biglaugh:    :biglaugh:  
No sir
ChuckC

Offline knife river

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #68 on: April 03, 2008, 10:37:00 PM »
joe skipp, your grizzly attack wouldn't have been the one with Billy Hill out of the Trout Creek area, would it?  Just curious.
TGMM Family of the Bow

"Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity."
  Martin Luther King, Jr.

Offline joe skipp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #69 on: April 03, 2008, 10:39:00 PM »
Yes...that was it.

Offline Stripstrike1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #70 on: April 03, 2008, 10:43:00 PM »
I love this thread!
"I wish someone would have introduced me to this sport 20 years ago."

Offline knife river

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #71 on: April 03, 2008, 11:02:00 PM »
Joe, you're lucky to be alive, but you already know that!  I hunted elk with him not long after your experience.  Same area -- and you bet, he checked his backtrail, even though we weren't bear hunting.  Ran into several blackies, but no grizzlies.   :readit:
TGMM Family of the Bow

"Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity."
  Martin Luther King, Jr.

Offline joe skipp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #72 on: April 03, 2008, 11:36:00 PM »
I know...I arrowed that Grizzly at 4ft....thats too close for me...  :scared:

Offline Wednesday Caste

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #73 on: April 04, 2008, 10:25:00 AM »
Aw man, you guys are just trying to scare newbies so that you would have all the game!  Great stories. Quinn
Thy word [is] a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path. Psalms 119:105
Gracious God; wonderful wife; 2 beautiful kids; bamboo fly rods; recurve bows; and a 57 Chevy. Life is a blessing.
Bear Kodiak Hunter 58" 46#; Ben Pearson Colt 62" 45#

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #74 on: April 04, 2008, 11:15:00 AM »
Joe. this story may have been told before... but would you mind  repeating ?  Especially if there is some sort of teaching / warning for the rest of us ?

ChuckC

Offline mike g

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #75 on: April 04, 2008, 12:10:00 PM »
When in the woods period Huntin or not I always check my 6,Marine thing I guess.
    Here in CA when hunting Blacktail you always check your 6, they have a habit of laying low and trying to sneak away behind you....
    As a teenager I had an incounter with a bear, I was sniffed from one end to the other and nudged with nose a few times....
    Heck I check my 6 walking down the street....
"TGMM Family of the Bow"

Offline Russ Clagett

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #76 on: April 04, 2008, 01:16:00 PM »
I dont worry about it at all....I know with no doubt on demand I can scream like a b...h loud enough to shatter any bear's nerve. And glass.

And run. I can run. A panther screamed once, right over my head up on a bluff about ten feet high, and I missed everything else till I was totally out of the woods. Ran that fast.

Offline BlacktailBowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #77 on: April 04, 2008, 01:18:00 PM »
While hunting Oregon and Washington, I always check my backtrail. I know the chance of a bear or cougar being nearby is pretty good and the hair on the back of my neck stands up from time to time, but I think I am just freaking myself out most of the time.

When in Ohio last October, I didn't get that at all, because there are not suppose to be cougars in that area and I felt very comfortable heading to my stand an hour before daylight.
Join a credible hunting organization, participate in it, and take a kid hunting. Member: U.S. Sportsmen's Alliance, NWTF, Oregon Hunter's Assn., Oregon Bow Hunters and  Oregon Foundation for Blacktailed Deer.

Offline alligatordond

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #78 on: April 04, 2008, 04:28:00 PM »
I'm always looking over my shoulder, mostly because I've played so many pranks on my buddies I just know one of them is trying sneak up on me.

The thought of the Florida Skunk Ape getting me has absolutely nothing to do with it!!

I remember as a kid hunting near a graveyard with dad. I kept running into him 'cause I couldn't see him-it was that dark. But I could see a large tombstone in the graveyard about 50 yards away. And I'm certain if I had gotten any closer the Skunk Ape was going to jump out from behind that marker and drag me off.
DonD

Offline Don Thomas

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #79 on: April 04, 2008, 06:59:00 PM »
I worry more about Don's skunk apes than the bears. I KNOW what bears are like. Don

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©