Author Topic: Some design thoughts?  (Read 957 times)

Offline monterey

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Some design thoughts?
« on: January 30, 2019, 08:03:28 PM »
I'm going to get on with building some kids bows for two granddaughters.  I've been running design ideas through my head for months.  Problem is it's idea in and idea out.  Forgotten by my ah ah ahmmmm.....  Memory, yeah that's it memory!  Gotta write that down.

At this point I'm thinking about scaling down a proven adult design.  Scaling all measurements by percentage except the stack which I'll have to swag.

One is a proven R/D "longbow" that is 60" in the adult size and the other is a very mild R/D 68" in the adult size.

Are there any pitfalls that you can think of to this approach?  I'm open to all ideas.
Monterey

"I didn't say all that stuff". - Confucius........and Yogi Berra

Shredd

Re: Some design thoughts?
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2019, 08:41:12 PM »
Sorry...  Can't help you there...  Never built any kid bows...  But why don't you do a Build-A-Long on making a kids bows so people will have reference to it when they do it...   ;) ;)  Because I am gonna have to build some for my nieces and nephews in the next year or so...

Have Fun....

Online jess stuart

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2019, 10:54:10 PM »
Monterey I did pretty much what you are tammi g about
  Reduced a 62" bow down to a 46" kids longbow.  I make them one inch wide.  I get three bows from two pieces of 2" glass.  They seem to work very well I use one parallel and one .002 taper a stack of around .240 gives me about 20# @ 20".

Offline monterey

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2019, 12:52:51 AM »
Jess, thanks for that info.  I have previously seen you post about splitting the 2" glass but I didn't know you had done the size reduction.  I'm going to go ahead and reduce one of those designs.

Rich, maybe I'll go ahead and do that build along but it's going to have to wait for the weather to improve in the "shop".
Monterey

"I didn't say all that stuff". - Confucius........and Yogi Berra

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©