3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Hill bow, do they all kick like a mule?  (Read 4308 times)

Offline SpikeMaster

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Hill bow, do they all kick like a mule?
« Reply #40 on: February 12, 2007, 03:11:00 PM »
I have a Craig Ekin built Wesley Special and it shoots as smooth as any recurve I've shot and that includes a couple of Black Widows. I think the problem with bows that people think are shockey is a brace height problem. Also the workmanship on Craig's bows are second to none in my opinion.

Online M60gunner

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #41 on: February 12, 2007, 05:13:00 PM »
I agree with Dick in Seattle. This whole thing reminds me of an article I saw many years ago on shooting the 44.cal mag. One guy said it kicked so hard he wore gloves to keep the grip checkering from taking the skin of his hand. Another man said it was like shooting any other large hand gun. To me they all shock somewhat. Only 2 bows, both Adcock`s were "dead in the hand" upon release for me. Notice I said "dead in the hand". I am sure there may be more but I have not had shot them yet.

Offline longbowguy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #42 on: February 12, 2007, 11:30:00 PM »
Here's my take on this issue. One of the main features of these bows is that they are very, very light in total weight. And a joy to carry as a result. They are light and lively, not 'dead in the hand'-- they are alive! If something is wrong, in the technique, in the tuning, or in the tiller (here I am thinking about the balance of the limbs one to another), there is no heavy mass to absorb the error. You may well feel it.

Some bowyers over the years seem to have more balance problems over the years with this design. The current production from the Ekin family of Howard Hill Archery are beautifully made and shoot sweetly.

Most archers who have got their form and tuning properly set up report little or no shock. And many prefer these bows to all others and own a number of them.

So how to set them up? I like about 7" of brace height, 500 grain or heavier arrows and a moderately light grip. But actually, I don't find them to be too sensitive about these points and I think most experienced archers find them easy to tune and shoot.

I guess the thing to do is shoot a couple before you lay your money down. Most owners would be proud to have you shoot their bows. But I urge you to try them. There is no more beloved longbow.

Offline BillJ

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #43 on: February 13, 2007, 12:30:00 PM »
 However, I have never tried something and quit because it was the something’s fault, when I knew perfectly well that many other folks had succeeded. Granddad taught me better than that.
I like that, Dick.  Good stuff.  I hope someday to be able to afford a good Hill.  I have a Jerry Hill which is, according to my research, a very poor imitation.  I'm told that my bow should nearly break my arm from the handshock, but it seems smooth enough to me.  

I'll add my vote to those who said, "Send them to me!  I'll take those shocky bows off your hands!
"Whosoever shall call upon the Name of the Lord shall be saved."

Online fishone

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #44 on: February 13, 2007, 12:50:00 PM »
Guys, I have a DAS, Dale Dye, several Widows and other top name longbows including 2 Howard Hill's made by Craig. I shoot the Hill's more than the other bows. They are fun to shoot, more accurate than I can shoot them and they really like heavy arrows. We are all different and like different bows. I don't understand why some people have to "bash" or downgrade other bows. I don't have a problem with someone stating they like one bow better than another. Life is too short not to have fun and to be nice to other people.

Offline OH at work

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #45 on: February 13, 2007, 12:52:00 PM »
Craig       :thumbsup:  

Joe

Offline bowdude

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #46 on: February 13, 2007, 12:54:00 PM »
Its likeRocky says Adrian - after a while it starts to sting.    :banghead:  
Good thing I love recurves, they are obviously the female of the species.   :goldtooth:

Offline BobCo 1965

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #47 on: February 13, 2007, 12:59:00 PM »
I am hearing so many generalization being made here. Lets remember that what one person says "kicks like a mule" another may say "it don't kick at all". Personally, I love my HH bows. Yes I can feel a jolt from my 74# Wesley, but it really doesn't bother me or make me flinch. I enjoy shooting it tremendously. It is the most stable, quick pointing, and quiet bow that I own. I can shoot it as accurate as my Adcock ACS. Did I mention that the HH is also the most fun to shoot?

Offline twig

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #48 on: February 13, 2007, 01:06:00 PM »
I have two Howard hill bows, one 51# and one 70# made by Steve Childers (taught by John Strunk) and I love them. If you shoot them like Howard Hill described ,with bent elbow, they are a pleasure to shoot. My old bones would'nt tolerate much shock!

Offline Dick in Seattle

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #49 on: February 13, 2007, 01:40:00 PM »
BillJ.... I've had several of Jerry's bows and found them quite satisfactory.   Only reason I parted with them was to expand the Howard Hill collection.   I promised my wife I wouldn't get more bows than there were pegs on my bow wall....    Been selling off the recurves and most of the non-HH's.   I figure I am good for six more HH's  :^)

Dick in Seattle
Dick in Seattle

"It ain't how well the bow you shoot shoots, it's how well you shoot the bow you shoot."

Offline OH at work

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #50 on: February 13, 2007, 01:48:00 PM »
Dick, considering the number of HH bows you now have, you must have a lot of pegs  LOL

Joe

Offline Bandit46

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #51 on: February 13, 2007, 02:35:00 PM »
Dick; I have several of Jerry's bows too and they shoot fine. Longbows are not for everyone, just like some firearms are not for everyone.

Offline Tbay

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #52 on: February 13, 2007, 03:27:00 PM »
I purchased a 75# HH Bib 5 in the mid '80's and shot it until I sold it about 2 years ago. I kind of remember on shot in 1994 that didn't kick like a mule but I could never repeat that shot again. Much as I loved that bow and liked the way it pointed and shot I finally got fed up with being severely hurt every single time I let and arrow go. I think I might have shot a telephone pole that one time I had no hand shock. Call me a wimp but I don't think any bow should do more damage to the shooter than it does to the game you are hunting. I shoot and love the new hybrids and contrary to some views expressed believe that they combine the best features from longbows and recurves.

Offline Caddo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #53 on: February 13, 2007, 04:12:00 PM »
I traded for a Wesley Special once. Worst trade I ever made. It was slow, sluggish and way more of a "jolt" when shooting than my Zebra. No matter what I did to it, grip, brace height etc.
 Now compared to a broom handle, it shot pretty good! Traded it off for a 7 Lakes. Much better trade!
Had a buddy that complained his Big 5 jolted pretty hard. We raised the brace height about an inch and it actully shot pretty good. No worse than any other "D" style LB.
My belief is that any "D" style will shoot a little "harder" than a R/D style. But after you shoot it for awhile it's hardly noticeable.
Guess it all depends on what floats your boat!

LD
"If your gonna kick a tiger in the butt, you better have a plan for dealing with his teeth!

Offline devildog66

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #54 on: February 13, 2007, 10:54:00 PM »
Having owned a Don Brown longbow which was a Hill style, a Schulz made bow, and I still have a couple of other Hill style bows made by now deceased direct disciples of HH, I have made a few observations.  

One is the grip type is big determining factor, for more comfort I prefer a full grip vs a thinner dished type.  Brace height is another aspect that I have found to greatly change the comfort level, and as others have stated, >6.75" is about the point of being the most comfortable . Higher arrow weight is absolutely paramount to how well the bow shoots.  Finally, over torquing the grip will almost always make for an uncomfortable shot.  None of this is unknown to most on this site but I think that these observations, if ignored, can make for a disappointing experience when shooting a Hill style bow.

To me, Hill style bows are analogous to driving a heavy duty powerful truck that lacks power steering and has an unassisted manual clutch and tranny .  Unabashed power but you have to accommodate it as it won't accommodate you.  

Finally, I do agree that the D style longbow is the pinnacle for absolute "pick a spot" style shooting.  Just as a finely made double gun goes where you look, a Hill  style bow seems to want to to follow the eye to the target.

DD
"Experience is what you get when you don't get what you want."

Old Italian Proverb

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©