3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Tree saddles  (Read 2823 times)

Offline midwest_tradbow89

• Trad Bowhunter
Tree saddles
« on: January 31, 2019, 09:09:16 PM »
So how many of you use tree saddles.  Been doing some research for the upcoming season and wanted to hear what others think of them.  Pros and Cons, brands, etc. 
Thanks
Newwood longbow vanguard 51#@29"

Offline Brownie2111

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Tree saddles
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2019, 09:17:34 PM »
I've hunted out of one off and on for a few years now. Started with a trophy line tree saddle, And just upgraded to the new tethrd mantis saddle. One thing is for sure you need to practice with it, climbing , shooting, ect.
Chase Brown

Offline NIGEL01

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2019, 12:54:59 AM »
I’ve tried them off and on the last few years also, can’t quite get used to facing the tree.  I’ve used a bigger platform so I can lean my back against the tree from time to time.  Do feel safer in a saddle, than a regular stand.

Offline Skipmaster1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2019, 05:10:03 AM »
I’m looking into the mantis forvthis season. I’ve been using a rock climbing harness as my safety harness for years and I often get out of my stand with it, including to take shots behind the tree. I often go in 1-2 miles with my mobile set ups, so a harness just seems like a great way to save weight

Offline fujimo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2019, 11:33:31 AM »
there was a really good thread maybe only a page back- it was widely commented on with regards to different tree saddles- there was a ton of good info in it.
I really like the hanging system, and i ended up developing my own- which i way prefer. its far more multi functional.
i love to hunt deep as well, so needed something more versatile.
cheers mate
« Last Edit: February 01, 2019, 01:19:17 PM by fujimo »

Offline Lakerat007

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2019, 07:14:19 PM »
I've tried a good number of diff saddle set ups, and I really wanted to like it! But.... If everything just doesn't gob perfect it is a heck of a lot of movement to get off a shot. I also cant my bow and a shot to my left (your best option if u r RH) often won't let me due to trunk or limbs. Don't really care about saving 3 lbs by using a saddle, it was the bulk that was nice. But I believe it's back to the hang on for me, just easier. I've tried steps around the tree, climb paws, buck steps,the primal tree ladder things, the new mini platform and quite honestly the all suck if u don't hunt 40' up in the air. But they are comfy and some other hunters luv them. But after 6 years of trying my best to make this thing halfway effective I'm throwing in the towel.
The early bird might get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese!

Offline deerfly

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2019, 07:46:20 PM »
Laker, movement problems for me was the exact opposite. I've even hunted a saddle barely 12' off the ground and been able to gently rotate into position for a shot undetected using the tree trunk to hide or break up my outline.

Not saying I couldn't have done the same thing on a platform, but with a platform I would have had to be standing and see the deer first and hugging the tree and after that my shot options are limited to what is possible from where the platform is hung on the tree.

With a saddle and tether I can go off the platform and shoot damn near any direction.

There could be situations I suppose that you can't move much no matter what type of stand you're on, but I really don't understand how more freedom of movement around the tree is a bad thing.

Offline Butchie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2019, 08:24:56 PM »
Any saddle hunters here using 68" longbows.  I'm seriously considering trying the Mantis out but wondering about any issues shooting longer bows out of one?
"Don't worry about the old blind mule, just keep a load in the wagon!"

Offline Nole

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2019, 06:36:30 AM »
I have no experience with them but I have been researching them as well.  On the property that I hunt I have a lot of "hang on" stands but this looks like an awesome addition to my arsenal for "hang and hunt" type of set ups or pre set sticks with no stands.  I am planning to purchase the Tetherd Mantis saddle late spring to work on shooting out of it through the summer and then incorporate it in next fall.

Offline bear mike

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2019, 09:03:25 PM »
Been looking into one myself but I have not seen anyone shooting with a canted bow in a hunting situation that has made me buy one. And I shoot a very heavy cant I honestly don't think it would work for me I like the idea of how safe they are tho

Offline Lakerat007

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2019, 09:17:43 PM »
Deerfly, to each there own. But the thing has been a nightmare for me if they don't follow the script. I gotta pass bow over ropes, shuffle feet, move around tree etc.. to get myself in position.

Now if u hunt in a place where you see them coming from hundreds of yards away it wouldn't be a prob. But for myself where u can see only about 30 yards from a internal edge especially early season it's dang near impossible to do all that shifting around without alerting approaching deer. I've shot numerous deer from directly behind me from a hang on, so I don't know what the saddle 360 degrees sales pitch is all about.

I like to hunt in cover specifically I like to tuck back into a cedar, with a saddle u gotta cut all the cover away.

Glad to see there are other options coming down the pipe but for me and how I hunt a good hang on is just the best way to go.
The early bird might get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese!

Offline Skipmaster1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2019, 09:50:05 PM »
If you still use stands a rock climbing harness is a good compromise. Here’s how I’ve been doing it for years.

Offline Doug_K

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2019, 10:15:18 PM »
Just got my Kestrel in this week, and played around with it at ground level for the first time today, so don't take my word as gospel. Using a ring of steps on a 12-16" diameter tree, I didn't find an angle I couldn't shoot with a 60" recurve, and honestly can't see bow length being an issue unless you're shooting straight down the trunk of the tree. If you position yourself correctly you can always shoot away from the tree.

I did try passing the bow over the tether for the weak side shot, and besides for the excess movement I didn't have an issue with it. The only time I see that as being necessary at this point however would be hunting from a tree I couldn't walk around. I could set up for a strong side shot on any side of the tree.

I'm looking forward to spending more time in it.
60" W&W Black Wolf 55#
64" Bamabows Hunter 52#
60" Bamabows Expedition III 52#
70" Bamabows Hunter 55#
60" A.D.M Earth 63#

Offline mnolletti

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2019, 02:56:22 PM »
I am about to take the plunge into the world of tree saddles myself. I have a 66" longbow that I am planning to hunt with (assuming I can find an arrow setup that I get the kind of flight out of it that I'm looking for). I love the 360 degree shot angles, the safety, and the comfort that I am reading about so many other guys enjoying. And I am one who cannot sit still in a hang-on stand very well, I just never can get comfortable. So, I think I will have an upgrade in comfort to look forward to. Additionally, not having to get stood up for a shot opportunity - especially when a whitetail appears silently as they often do - will be advantageous.

Beginning to think about compiling the necessary gear as we speak, more than likely most of it the DIY route due to bank account restrictions lol. Specifically, RC harness and a sit-drag because of the redundancy in safety that the RC harness offers. Will let you know what I come up with and how it works with that 66" bow.

Offline Legolas

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2019, 04:28:09 PM »
I killed an 8 point with my 7 Lakes Longbow out of one! I like that you can rest your bowarm on the straps in preparation for a shot.
Things seem to turn out best for people who make the best of the way things turn out-Art Linkletter

Whether you think you can or you think you can't, you are probably right-Henry Ford

Offline wayne rollinson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: February 12, 2019, 03:34:35 PM »
I have just made one to go with a climbing harness, having to travel to bow hunt I wanted to have a lightweight set up I can travel with abroad to give me options.

Online last arrow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: February 12, 2019, 05:23:52 PM »
Wayne - can you show how you wear that and ow the tether attaches.  I have that exact climbing harness.
"all knowledge is good. All knowledge opens doors. Ignorance is what closes them." Louis M. Profeta MD

"We must learn to see and accept the whole truth, not just the parts we like." - Anne-Marie Slaughter

Michigan Traditional Bowhunters
TGMM "Family of the Bow"

Offline wayne rollinson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: February 13, 2019, 02:40:39 AM »
I will try and explain before getting some pictures for you, on the saddle along the top edge i sewed velcro.
 The waist belt of the harness just sticks to that, so it doesn't slip or move.
 I use a short bridge from the loops of the saddle to my climbing rope attached by a prussik and adjust so i can sit comfy up in the tree I also use the climbing rope through the belay that is  from the main loop locked off with another prusik so i have two points i can adjust, if i need to move round the tree or sit higher, maybe a small vid to show how it works, I was going to copy a saddle that incorporates the harness but thought seing i had the harness i would see how it works and it feels good for me, regards wayne

Offline ADP2413

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: February 13, 2019, 06:59:27 AM »
So how many of you use tree saddles.  Been doing some research for the upcoming season and wanted to hear what others think of them.  Pros and Cons, brands, etc. 
Thanks

I use a new tribe kestrel and evolution with 3 muddy pro sticks with an added loop , and ameristeps ring of steps for a mile or more in hunts and it is sweet... the saddles weight nothing and after 50 yards or so I forget they are even there. My backpack with the 3 muddy sticks attached and ring of steps is just under 10 lbs... I get 15 to 18 feet up. The first time you slowly walk around the tree to conceal yourself from deer you will be hooked. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Tom1958

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: February 13, 2019, 11:10:42 AM »
I got a Kestrel last spring and I love it. Saddles do need some personal touch though. Bridge length, tether height, climbing methods, foot management...they all take a little time to get dialed-in.
I'm a platform guy. Ring of steps are okay, but for all-day sits, a platform works better for me. I have a variety of platforms. A bunch of homemade ones but the best is a Tethrd Predator with 1 step added on the strap to my strong side and the top step of my climbing method to my weak side.
Currently, the choice between a Kestrel or Mantis is like Chevy vs Ford. I'm a Kestrel lover.
Aero Hunter is supposedly coming out with yet another new saddle very soon. I'm anxious to see it.
BTW, Traditional Bowhunter magazine will have an article about saddles in the next issue (Late Feb, I think).
The guy in the pics will look exactly like me :goldtooth: 

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©