3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Small Backpack  (Read 6460 times)

Offline D. Key

• Trad Bowhunter
Small Backpack
« on: February 07, 2019, 01:49:08 PM »
Here's the deal...I hunt on my own property and don't need a big backpack for a lot of things to carry for each hunt; a call, wind checker, extra glove, facemask, etc.  I have exhausted my search and cannot find a nicely built camo, small backpack in the 12" tall x 9" wide x 4-5" deep range.  Can someone direct me to locating one.  I do not prefer the single sling pack but rather the dual shoulder straps.  I tried the fanny pack but it slides off too easy and don't like the shoulder straps with one.  Also, all of the backpacks I have tried are too tall and things get lost on the bottom.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.
"Pick-A-Spot"

Doug Key

Online non-typical

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Small Backpack
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2019, 02:09:34 PM »
I have a smaller model Timber Hawk pack that is my grab and go pack for around the farm. I can't imagine a better small carry, sturdy and well designed pack. Perfect for hikes, holding misc. stuff for taking notes, marking trees, scenting scrapes, clipping on the fender hook on a tractor to carry stuff. I liked it so much I bought a larger model for hunting and find it perfect. I've had these several years and they hold up to abuse. Give 'em a look.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Tradgang member #160

Online Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2019, 02:26:55 PM »
I use a fanny pack, even used it in Colorado both times I went out. It had plenty enough room to carry what I needed for the day's hunt.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Wudstix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Wood arrows & D/R Longbows Rule!!!
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2019, 03:32:11 PM »
Timber Hawk looked good and available at Wal-mart.  I'll have to check them out. 
"If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space!!!" - Me

Psalms 121: 1-3 - King David

60" Big River 67#@28"              
60" MOAB D/R LB 62#@27"
60" Big River D/R LB 65#@27"
62" Kota Badlands LB 72#@28"
62" Howatt TD 62#@28
58” Bear Grizzly 70#@28”
62" Big River D/R LB 60#@30"
66" Moosejaw Razorback LB 60#@28"

"Memento Mori"
PBS - Associate Member
Retired DoD Civ 1985-2019

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2019, 04:01:52 PM »
Check out Kathy Kelly's daypack (KathyKellyDesign.com). Think that would fit the bill nicely.  I have a couple.  Very well made. 

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2019, 05:38:24 PM »
I have a small wool one made by Johnson Wool, not sure if they still make it. It’s. Silent and seems to carry well. :thumbsup:
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline aja0

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2019, 05:48:49 PM »
I like my Hill People Gear Tarahumara Pack.  It is small.

Offline nek4me

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2019, 06:01:09 PM »
X2 on the Johnson Wool pack.  I have used mine for years and got one for my son.   Don't  think they have an actual  camo but do have a  lot of plaid patterns that would provide a break up look to blend in.  It is lightweight and quiet but big enough to carry anything needed for a day in the woods. 

Offline bucknut

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2019, 07:03:19 PM »
Sounds like you need to visit Rancho Safari. The Catday mini sounds like what you are looking for.

Several options available to suit the needs of anyone. Great prices, High quality and Made in the USA TOO!
Whom virtue unites death cannot separate.

Offline Biathlonman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2019, 07:07:30 PM »
Hill People Gear Tarahumara for sure...

Online Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2019, 10:34:03 PM »
This was my set up in Colorado. Fanny pack with 2 water bottles, rain coat strapped underneath, ugly brown wool sweater(recommended) strapped on top, inside was granola(lunch), compass, first aid kit, fire kit, space blanket, wind powder, cow call, extra knife and other things. The PA magazine was to pass the time on an all day sit.

« Last Edit: February 07, 2019, 10:41:01 PM by Pat B »
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Roger Norris

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2019, 06:27:59 AM »
I bought a Johnson Wool pack, and it is pretty good. It performs as designed, and like all Johnson Wool products, is of excellent quality.

BUT....the backpack style wasn't perfect for my use, deer and turkey hunting. This is no reflection on Johnson Wool, but rather on the "backpack" concept itself.

For hunting as the OP describes, I want access to the things in my pack. Often, I need access while on the move. I don't want to take off my pack to get at my binoculars, for example.

Which prompted Teresa Asbell and I to sit down and begin design on a wool sling pack. It will be ambidextrous, but in my case worn on the left side, with my GFA quiver on the right. Prototypes to be in the field soon.....
"Good Lord....well, your new name is Sledge."
Ron LaClair upon seeing the destruction of his new lock on the east gate

"A man that cheats in the woods will cheat anywhere"
G. Fred Asbell

Offline ronp

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2019, 08:27:39 AM »
I'm looking forward to seeing that sling pack, Roger!
« Last Edit: February 08, 2019, 01:40:17 PM by ronp »
Ron Purdy

TGMM Family of the Bow
MTB
NRA

Offline ThePushArchery

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2019, 12:27:57 PM »
Our Alpha Pack was designed to fill in this market gap for hunting. While it has a great target / 3D archery hip quiver function, I also will not head afield without mine.

It was designed for the minimalist bowhunter who was hunting 2-5 hours and didn't want to bother with a backpack off his person.

Check it out, it may fit your bill.

www.thepusharchery.com

Online fisherick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2019, 12:48:54 PM »
I use this small utility bag (Fieldline) with a shoulder strap for half day deer hunts. I often carry two 16oz water bottles, snacks, TP, knife, flashlight, latex gloves with marking tape in small plastic bag, some reflective ties, matches, fire starter, whistle, small 1st aid kit, etc. Also may strap a jacket or vest outside. I use this setup more than my fanny pack or backpack.

Offline Roadkill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: February 08, 2019, 08:26:41 PM »
Look up Ribz , it is a front pack that carries water, power bars, hat, gloves, extra tab, knives , emergency kit, camera, compass , GPS, and rangefinder plus more.  I can shoot with it on.  The advantage is you do not have to take it off to get your gear.  Great for stands.  Mine is 6 years old and heavily used. The back pack can be used with it on, and the Ribz gives some balance for steep walking. The only i cannot do is lowcrawl.  Plus it acts well to warm hands simply by tucking hands between the pack and the jacket. Love it
Cast a long shadow-you may provide shade to someone who needs it.  Semper Fi

Offline Roadkill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: February 08, 2019, 08:32:06 PM »
Another thing, Ribz has external zipper pockets hor some of your gear, easy access.  Although everything is easily gotten out of the pack. Also realize in Nevada we walk a lot more than i did back east and this pack is great for long hikes and for turkey sitting
Cast a long shadow-you may provide shade to someone who needs it.  Semper Fi

Online mjh

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: February 09, 2019, 07:44:52 AM »
Kifaru Urban Zippy, all kinds of organizational features for a day hunting pack.  Can get it in camo.  Get the panel sheet for the back adds needed stiffness/support. 

Offline Broken Arrows

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: February 09, 2019, 07:58:10 AM »
Kuiu has the Stalker 500 only weighs 8.6oz.
Take the long way around.
Dwyer Endeavor 58" 64@29"
Super Shrew 58" 60@28"
Thunder Child 58" 60@28"
Toelke Pika 56" 60@29"

Bisch

« Reply #19 on: February 09, 2019, 09:43:10 AM »
Doug, I hate backpacks, and after much trial and error, this is what I have found to be the best solution:

https://shop.opticsplanet.com/hunter-safety-system-muff-pak-hand-warmer.html?_iv_code=27N-HFW-02171-MPS&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=plusbox-beta&gclid=Cj0KCQiAkfriBRD1ARIsAASKsQKzytsBNNNSrVxHvfVYiPOBlfgT1iMaY1Y3PZGbEXsCE9c__PrtYS8aAptPEALw_wcB

It is a hand warmer muff that has 2 big zipper pockets and a couple without zippers. I put my rangefinder, flashlight and extra battery, knife, headlamp, gloves, and headnet in there, and still have room for my hands when it is cold out. I do get strange looks when I have that on to go pig hunting in the warmer months. It is the perfect solution for a guy who does not like to carry much with him to a stand!!!!

Bisch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©