3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Small Backpack  (Read 6462 times)

Offline Kbob

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Small Backpack
« Reply #20 on: February 09, 2019, 10:30:52 AM »
I'm a huge fan of the Cabelas/badlands day packs. Mine is about 1700 cu. In. It cinches down small enough to forget that its there, but you can stuff an entire deboned deer in it too. And if you bust the zippers with a bigger buck (I tried this year) badlands will replace it no questions.

Offline the rifleman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: February 11, 2019, 09:21:43 AM »
Most of the time im hunting in a tree.  I never need anymore gear than i can easily stow in the pockets of my safety vest.  Ive found bags cumbersome and in the way.  I also find they encourage me to take things I don't need.  During a 4 hour hunt, i dont need to eat, drink, read, or fiddle with stuff in a pack.  Its kind of freeing to just take what you need.

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: February 11, 2019, 09:28:17 AM »
I have found the haversack to be far more useful than a backpack. It carries quite a bit of stuff and is easy to access.
Sam

Offline HOOSIERGRIZZ

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: February 11, 2019, 03:55:27 PM »
I don't think she does camo, but if you can live wirhout it I recommend Alder Stream.  Nice canvas and leather work.  I had her make me two packs this past year and they are high quality bombproof packs.

http://alderstream.wcha.org

Online Gdpolk

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
    • Polk Knives
« Reply #24 on: February 14, 2019, 09:53:27 PM »
I'd reccomend a look at Jansport packs...yes like you send kids to school with. 

They are well made and have a lifetime warranty that Jansport actually honors if/when needed.  They survive YEARS of abuse from children on a daily basis which is far more wear and tear than I'm going to give any pack on a hunting trip.  They are appropriately sized and reasonably affordable.  Many of theirs come in low key/neutral colors.  And they make nice carry on bags if you ever fly. 
1pc and 2pc Sarrels Sierra Mountain Longbows - both 53.5lbs @ 29"

https://www.gpolkknives.com/

Online gvdocholiday

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: February 14, 2019, 10:42:59 PM »
Maxpedition Pygmy Falcon.

9.5"(L) x 8"(W) x 17.5"(H

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

"Live like you ain't afraid to die....don't be scared, just enjoy the ride."

Offline sveltri

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: February 14, 2019, 11:43:27 PM »
Kifaru Quandry

Online gvdocholiday

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: February 15, 2019, 06:25:24 AM »
XOP has a small pack.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

"Live like you ain't afraid to die....don't be scared, just enjoy the ride."

Online fisherick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: February 18, 2019, 11:12:31 AM »
So what are the thoughts of the OP (D.Key)? Many choices here.

Offline D. Key

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: February 18, 2019, 12:13:08 PM »
I did a bit or research and ordered this one today off Amazon.  It is a fishing/hunting pack with a lot of versatility and for $35.99 I can't go wrong.  It can be used as a sling pack or a shoulder pack, so I can decide which is better for me to carry my Trad gear. This little pack can carry a lot of gear and has a relatively small profile, which is what I was looking for.  I will let you know how it works and feels.  Good hunt'in.

Thank so much for the suggestions. I do appreciate this site and all of the great help.

"Pick-A-Spot"

Doug Key

Online fisherick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: February 18, 2019, 12:41:23 PM »
Nice selection you will be pleased with it. I have a similar sling pack in coyote, it works great when hunting with a firearm, no shoulder strap in the way when shouldering a rifle for a shot. Also works great with the bow, nothing to interfere. It is a little bigger than my utility bag with a shoulder strap. Happy Hunting.

Macatawa

« Reply #33 on: February 18, 2019, 04:19:08 PM »
Doug, I hate backpacks, and after much trial and error, this is what I have found to be the best solution:

https://shop.opticsplanet.com/hunter-safety-system-muff-pak-hand-warmer.html?_iv_code=27N-HFW-02171-MPS&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=plusbox-beta&gclid=Cj0KCQiAkfriBRD1ARIsAASKsQKzytsBNNNSrVxHvfVYiPOBlfgT1iMaY1Y3PZGbEXsCE9c__PrtYS8aAptPEALw_wcB

It is a hand warmer muff that has 2 big zipper pockets and a couple without zippers. I put my rangefinder, flashlight and extra battery, knife, headlamp, gloves, and headnet in there, and still have room for my hands when it is cold out. I do get strange looks when I have that on to go pig hunting in the warmer months. It is the perfect solution for a guy who does not like to carry much with him to a stand!!!!

Bisch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Sounds like something I might use.  For lack of need, I don't regularly carry tons of stuff on a hunt....however as a minimalist, I like to have the few things easily accessible...

Online Jack Denbow

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: February 18, 2019, 04:27:44 PM »
Check out Kathy Kelly Design. I have been using one for several years and like it very much.
Jack
PBS Associate member
TGMM Family of the Bow
Life is good in the mountains

Offline Wudstix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Wood arrows & D/R Longbows Rule!!!
« Reply #35 on: March 05, 2019, 10:20:02 PM »
Bought sling fishing pack at Academy Sports and Outdoors.  Three zip pouches, the middle one is larger.  Should prove to be sufficient to carry all I care to on an extended day hike/hunt.  May see about attaching my GFA quiver to the back of it.  :coffee:   :campfire:    :bigsmyl:
« Last Edit: March 06, 2019, 10:08:33 AM by Wudstix »
"If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space!!!" - Me

Psalms 121: 1-3 - King David

60" Big River 67#@28"              
60" MOAB D/R LB 62#@27"
60" Big River D/R LB 65#@27"
62" Kota Badlands LB 72#@28"
62" Howatt TD 62#@28
58” Bear Grizzly 70#@28”
62" Big River D/R LB 60#@30"
66" Moosejaw Razorback LB 60#@28"

"Memento Mori"
PBS - Associate Member
Retired DoD Civ 1985-2019

Offline Tedd

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: March 06, 2019, 08:30:49 AM »
I know some like the Badlands packs. I hate them. Try pulling a zipper or digging in there one handed, all the way to the bottom, when deer are near or a bow is in your hand. And the fabric is too stiff. I just replaced mine after complaining about it for years.
I use 2 packs - one for pre-hung stands and close to home stuff, the other is a bigger carry all including the treestand and pack deer out type.
After looking at all the usual hunting pack manufacturers I decided to purchase a "tactical" type from a quality manufacturer (5.11). These packs come in 3 sizes. I got the middle sized, it's called a 24. I haven't used it yet but I can see it's much better than what I had been using. purchased a couple extra MOLLE pouches for my climbing belt and water bottle.
https://www.511tactical.com/rush-12-backpack.html

Offline KSshrewman

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: March 06, 2019, 08:04:00 PM »
Take a look at classicsportsman.com
His classic rucksack trapper is just slightly larger than u describe but super quality, quiet wool, and some nice plaid “camo” patterns. 
Shrew Classic Hunter
Javaman Elkheart
Javaman Helms Deep
Gill Snakey Self
Ben Pearson Colt
Swiftriver

PSALM 5:3  At Daybreak Lord,You Hear My Voice

Member "Kansas Coffey Club"

Offline Nole

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: March 08, 2019, 06:11:19 AM »
The Alpha Pack that the Push guys offer is a great product.  It is a very well built and can be used for multiple purposes.  For deer hunting I carry only what I need for the hunt, an extra string, maybe a water bottle, snack, and thermacell (depending on time of year).  Its great to have everything right there when you get into your stand at your side however I do take mine off when I get settled and hang it on a hook like you would a backpack.  With this system I carry my binoculars around my chest with a bino bro harness so the weight of the binoculars is not in the pack.  You could carry a set of binoculars in the pack but I do think it could weigh it down somewhat. I have also used mine for 3d shoots and plan to use it this spring for turkey hunting. 

Offline ronp

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: March 09, 2019, 11:42:39 AM »
Check out the Eberelestock Bandit Pack.  It is perfect for short day hunts.  I have one.  It is very light weight and comfortable.  I like it because it is sort of narrow, allowing me to draw my bow without any interference.
Ron Purdy

TGMM Family of the Bow
MTB
NRA

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©