3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Tell me about the new "techie huntin' clothes"...  (Read 6632 times)

pavan

Re: Tell me about the new "techie huntin' clothes"...
« Reply #40 on: February 13, 2019, 02:57:16 PM »
I went shopping for new hunting clothes at a big outdoor store.  None of that stuff comes in my size.  i bought Carhart pants with cargo pockets at my local Bomgaars instead.

huntryx

« Reply #41 on: February 14, 2019, 08:24:42 AM »
I love my wool hunting clothes, esp. from KOM, and there will always be a time and place where wool is the best option. That said, getting older has made me less tolerant of cold and I have to say the "techie" stuff solves this with TRULY windproof barriers which allow me to stay out longer and with more comfort. Also, modern lighter weight and better rain gear is a winner. For me, these things are worth the prices they charge (on sale or auction of course). So, my nominations for best of the best new stuff are as follows:

Sitka
Fanatic hands down for quiet and ultra warmth. Traverse line for best midlayer fleece. Gradient hoodie for most versatile garment ever made.
Kuiu Raingear, any model. You stay dry in the worst weather, and it's stretchy.
First Lite Corrugate for most comfortable lightweight pants EVER and First Lite also for best merino layers, accessories.

I don't know if the "techie" stuff will hold up like wool does, but while I am waiting to find out I will be dry and warm and OUT THERE, which is the point!

IMHO.............................
« Last Edit: February 15, 2019, 12:05:14 PM by huntryx »

Offline DanielB89

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #42 on: February 14, 2019, 11:25:42 AM »
I have always been the type to just use whatever I had, but I snagged some scent lok this year before the season began to try some of the newer stuff.  One thing that blew me away was the weight.  I have bibs now that weigh less than a a mid layer I wore last year and they're as warm as anything I have worn. 

When you're mobile it pays to be lighter.  Especially when you carry everything in and out each time you go to hunt.  Any weight saved is less weight you carry.
"Blessed is the man who trusts in the LORD And whose trust is the LORD. Jeremiah 17:7

"There is a way which seems right to a man,
But its end is the way of death."  Proverbs 14:12

Offline jonsimoneau

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #43 on: February 14, 2019, 03:54:00 PM »
I still use wool base layers but I switched to Sitka stuff for the outer layers. Last year on Kodiak Island I wore a set of timberline pants I believe they are called and that is what I would take again for that hunt. For whitetails I’ve been wearing the fanatic setup (the old one) and I love it. Blocks the wind. I don’t think any of it is as quiet as wool but I haven’t had an animal bust me while drawing yet.

Offline TDHunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #44 on: February 14, 2019, 04:41:18 PM »
Kuiu x many. Tried a bunch, kuiu is want I've gone too. Fit is really is important your climbing . None of the standard stuff fits me well. I've used on many goat and sheep hunts in all kinds of weather and I love it

Online Bigriver

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #45 on: February 14, 2019, 08:08:21 PM »
I still prefer my wool for whitetail hunting (gray wolf, KOM, first light), silent and non shiny. I also like the patterns better. The Sitka fanatic bibs for really cold stand hunting. I have a great silent windproof layer for my wool stuff, used  in a layering system like my kuiu. I like the kuiu and sitka stuff for early season mobile hunts like  elk, spot and stalk mulies, even the real light stuff for antelope and turkeys. They all have their place in my arsenal.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline 76Aggie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #46 on: February 15, 2019, 10:55:51 AM »
I was not a big fan of the "teche" hunting gear when it first came out. The price horrified me.  However, really harsh weather and no immediate way to escape it can change your mind quickly.  I am a fan of First Lite.  I like Kuiu as well but it is much more athletic cut. Kuiu sizing runs very small to me.  I also use some Sitka gear.  IE: moose raft hunting in AK.  When you fly in, weight is CRITICAL.  I love wool but have to go with a lighter weight garment than most of my traditional wool clothing.  I wear First Lite merino wool pants.  I wear First Lite Allegheny bottoms and the Chama quarter zip tops.  Over the Chama, I wear a wool commando type sweater.  For the real warmth, I have a Sitka Kelvin Jacket as well as a Kelvin Vest.  I top it all off with First Lite rain gear when needed.  This set up just works for me.  I believe I could endure some very harsh weather with his rig and it is all exceptionally light weight.  It is not the most quiet material but I find the tradeoff very acceptable.

Sometimes I will wear the rain jacket to help when really windy.  I have never had to  wear my Kelvin vest underneath my Kelvin jacket and stay very warm with the sole exception of my hands.  This year I bought the  First Lite Grizzly gloves with the wool liner.  I have not used them in really cold weather as of yet.  They were actually too much during our hunting season this year in TX.  Good wool socks, silk sock liners, wool watch cap and neck gaiter finish it all off.

As a side note, I use the Kelvin Primaloft insulation as opposed to the newer water resistant down.  The Primaloft will retain insulation properties, as will wool, when it gets damp or wet.  They say the new water resistant down garments will not flatten out if wet, but I have not yet had that demonstrated to me so I will stay with the Primaloft for now.                                             

Online Hermon

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #47 on: February 15, 2019, 11:17:56 AM »
I'll have to say that looking at the websites for these techie clothes is sometimes overwhelming.  8-12 choices of jackets, just as many pants.  Another 6-10 shirt choices.  At the price point they are at I hate to order something and then not like it (too warm or not warm enough, let alone sizing).  Would like to see some before I purchase but I've never been anywhere that had much of a selection of it. 

GCook

« Reply #48 on: February 15, 2019, 09:31:38 PM »
I did a lot of asking questions on different web sites and am buying slightly used.  Some guys need the newest model every year and you can score some good deals.  If you get it and find it's too warm, not warm enough etc you can always re sell it.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Offline Mike Mongelli

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #49 on: February 25, 2019, 03:50:06 PM »
Prana Zion’s should do well for pants.  Maybe a Kifaru or First Lite puffy to cut some weight vs the wool jacket.  A Kifaru or Seek Outside shelter with stove would also be nice up there.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©