3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Average shot distance-- Poll  (Read 822 times)

Offline Brian Krebs

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Average shot distance-- Poll
« Reply #20 on: April 02, 2008, 08:05:00 PM »
Jeff- good point! That is about 80% of shooting with a traditional bow on game- knowing their tendencies or mood etc. I shot a whitetail buck that was alerted once at 19 yards; it tried to take off and my arrow hit it in the belly and came out over the shoulder; and continued into the ground!! A nervous whitetail is a different target than a browsing mulie. I went out scouting and looking for a couple of mountain goats today; and took some pictures of a bedded muledeer; which laid there and let me take plenty of pictures; then there were some whitetails and they let me take one photo and it was a stampede of hooves and whitetails. I saw some elk; two of which were boxing; and they stopped when I started to click the picture ( of course) but remained pretty calm after that.
 Bears can be counted on for stopping in one spot and checking out scent or a bait; and that allows for time to draw and anchor; and get settled in the shot.
 I have missed a couple turkeys because they were on hyper-alert.
 To us; I think the distance of the shot is dependant alot on our own knowledge of how close we can get in a given situation; and how the animals we are hunting are going to react.
 good thing to mention Jeff   :notworthy:    :archer:
THE VOICES HAVEN'T BOTHERED ME SINCE I STARTED POKING THEM WITH A Q-TIP.

Offline Biggie Hoffman

• SRBZ
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: April 02, 2008, 08:18:00 PM »
Since I'ma raptor :-) I find the 0-15 yards from a tree is a little too close. I prefer them out a litte more for better angles to both lungs.
10-20
PBS Life Member
Member 1K LLC

"If you are twenty and aren't liberal you don't have a heart...if you're forty and not conservative you don't have a brain".....Winston Churchill

Offline Colt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: April 02, 2008, 08:35:00 PM »
I've made kills from 5 yds to 45 yds and every distance in between.

My long shots are usually on pronghorns. I love to spot and stalk those guys.

Offline bowdude

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: April 02, 2008, 08:47:00 PM »
As close as I can get them.  I typically hunt thick stuff as I believe bucks are more relaxed there as well as more likely to be up and around.  Haven't sat on a field edge in years.  That may change now that I am in my new place the Lord has blessed me with.  Food plots are on the menu!    :bigsmyl:

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: April 02, 2008, 09:34:00 PM »
15 is the max at to ground blinds & all tree stands.The closer the better.. I did the 200plus yardage shots... Now I like them Close.

Offline joel smith

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: April 02, 2008, 09:45:00 PM »
deer probably average out around 14-17 yards, turkeys much closer, more like 10-12. Haven't killed enough elk yet to say there is an average. Closest was 10, farthest around 35

i do tend to shoot a litle farther with recurves, i shoot them better most of the time even though i really prefer the longbow
"...some of it's magic, some of it's tragic, but I've had a good life all the way..."
Jimmy Buffet from HE WENT TO PARIS

Offline Slasher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: April 02, 2008, 10:01:00 PM »
18 is my magic number... real avg is probably less... but a mean avg regardless of weapon over the years has been about 18-22 yds with a couple on both end of the extremes thrown out not to skew the numbers...
Expect the best. Prepare for the worst. Capitalize on what comes.
                                        ~Zig Ziglar~

Offline Missouri Sherpa

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: April 02, 2008, 10:57:00 PM »
I practice 5-45 yards at the target butt and stump shooting.  I like a close in shot as much as the next guy and usually have a 15-20 yard shot at waterholes, bear baits and deer treestand hunting.  Spot and stalk hunting is another matter.  I will take the first shot I am offered that I feel I can make with a high degree of confidence.  I have killed elk as far out as 40 and 43 yards, or bedded mule deer at 13 yards. Hog shot this year during the TxSweat was 45 yards (see avatar).  I don't even think about how far usually until after the shot. If I am roughly within my practice zone of 45 yards and the game isn't keyed up I will shoot at the first opportunity.  When I am hopped up on an adrenalin high from stalking I can think of only one thing, where I am going to put the arrow.   It is fun to be able to get close enough to touch your quarry but I will not blow a stalk getting any closer than I need to.

Offline Brian Krebs

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: April 02, 2008, 11:42:00 PM »
Biggie- I agree about the angle thing; but I live in Idaho where either your going uphill or downhill. If I am up 25 feet in the air on my stand; the bear can be almost level with me at 12 yards.....
THE VOICES HAVEN'T BOTHERED ME SINCE I STARTED POKING THEM WITH A Q-TIP.

Offline Biggie Hoffman

• SRBZ
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: April 03, 2008, 06:00:00 AM »
:bigsmyl:
PBS Life Member
Member 1K LLC

"If you are twenty and aren't liberal you don't have a heart...if you're forty and not conservative you don't have a brain".....Winston Churchill

Offline Bonebuster

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: April 03, 2008, 06:59:00 AM »
I rarely get higher than fifteen feet in a tree, so the angle isn`t too bad when they are close.

Offline 3Under

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: April 03, 2008, 07:47:00 AM »
This past hunting season  my vertical distance (15 ft.)was greater than my horizontal. Shot a mature doe about 8 ft. from my tree stand (double lung/heart). She went about 50 yds.
PBS,KTBA,HCB,UBK

...  When thru the forest glades I wander and hear the birds sing sweetly in the trees, when I look down from lofty mountain grandeur and hear the brook and feel the gentle breeze, ...How great Thou art!

Offline bayoulongbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: April 03, 2008, 08:06:00 AM »
27 yards with my longbow!... :)
"If you're living your life as if there is no GOD, you had  better be right!"

Offline John3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: April 03, 2008, 04:59:00 PM »
Thanks to all that voted in the poll. I am a bit surprised by the modern Longbow results.

Sanderlin III
"There is no excellence in Archery without great labor".  Maurice Thompson 1879

Professional Bowhunters Society--Regular Member
United Bowhunters of Missouri
Compton Life Member #333

Offline myshootinstinks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: April 05, 2008, 01:58:00 PM »
This is open country, any shot under 25 yds is a bonus. Never hunted from a tree-stand, nearly always spot & stalk. Plan to try a ground blind this year or possibly a tree-stand.  How could you miss a shot under 15 yards?

Offline scriv

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: April 05, 2008, 02:14:00 PM »
Shot at what?  :confused:
Shoot strait and have fun!

Toelke Whip
Black Widow PLX
A&H ACS-CX
Hoyt Formula RX

Offline myshootinstinks

• Trad Bowhunter