3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Bowfishing arrow question(s)  (Read 298 times)

Offline John C Keith

• Trad Bowhunter
Bowfishing arrow question(s)
« on: April 02, 2008, 04:03:00 AM »
Hey all:

I am a newbie bowfisherman (first season coming soon) and I was curious about bow fishing arrows.  I just got a nice set up (Thanks Ron!!) with a 45# Bear 76'er, simple reel and fiberglass arrow with point.  

The arrow is not together and I wanted to make sure I put it together right.  I make my own woodies, so not new to arrow making, but are there any special concerns with bow fishing arrows?  Can I use my Ferr-l-tite on the points and Duco on the nock?  Or is there something else I need to use on the fiberglass shaft?

I am planning on trying the AMS safety slide system and a home brew style (cable/slide) that Ron showed me for line attachment.  Gonna have a back up arrow, just in case   ;) .

What say you?

Thanks
John
Michigan Traditional Bowhunters
Michigan Bowhunters

Its not about the weapon used, its about the adventure involved.

Offline Stone Knife

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Bowfishing arrow question(s)
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2008, 05:14:00 AM »
I use powerbond glue for both. Watch this video from 3Rivers    Gluing on fish points
Proverbs 12:27
The lazy do not roast any game,
but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt.

John 14:6

Offline CJ5

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2008, 05:33:00 AM »
I use two part, slow curing epoxy on the heads, and dab of Fastset for the nocks. Some people stake their heads on as well with a roll pin or small nail for added security. I omit this step though, and haven't had any trouble.

Offline James Wrenn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2008, 07:18:00 AM »
I epoxy and pin mine.You can do a lot of pulling when you hit a sunken log.  :)
....Quality deer management means shooting them before they get tough....

Offline 2-BIG

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2008, 08:16:00 AM »
John, another thing I learned is valuable to have along is extra screw in tips if you have the chisel head type of tips. Hit 1 good rock square and your tip will curl and you will just blunt the fish. I use Muzzy heads with the screw in tips and I carry 3 or 4 extras with me in a fanny pack.
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who are not. - Thomas Jefferson

Offline CJ5

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2008, 03:18:00 PM »
James.....I suppose it is good insurance. Our fish aren't very big here, so I never bothered. But, I should probably do it for the log thing if nothing else.

Offline TRADITIONAL ONLY

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2008, 10:03:00 PM »
no need to the pin....

some goat glue and youll be set even if you hit a barge and need to pull it out.

most definatly use the AMS slides! didnt have any real problesm shile i didnt use them, but it slows you down a BUNCH! (casue your always making sure that your not about to get a arrow smacking you in the head...)

i use the muzzy stingrays or sting a ree tournament heads, both are the same thing...
and DO NOT use the 'gar' tips for them. use only the 'carp' points! ('gar' tips will NOT go through anything! hit carp, buffalo, drum no pass through. use the carp tips, all the way through!)
If its brown its down; thats my motto.

"The great questions of the day are decided... by blood and iron"  Otto von Bismark

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©