3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: New blood tracker? IDK yet.  (Read 2044 times)

Offline Tedd

• Trad Bowhunter
New blood tracker? IDK yet.
« on: February 14, 2019, 07:20:44 AM »
Check her out. Winnie the JRT. "Wizzer", "Wizzered", "Winnus"  She seems a bit small but she has grown like crazy in just 10 days! I didn't think I was getting a new dog this soon. So I didn't keep any deer parts in the freezer to train her on blood tracking. 
 I really don't know how they act as an adult, never been around one. Seems like she has a good nose but at this age seems more reliant on eyes and ears.
 She loves people and can't stand to be away from us. She is a shortie jack. I guess? I think she will be about 11-13 lbs when grown. I always thought they were about a 20lb dog. She is built with lighter boned and hide than my Wire Haired Dachshund was. She is much faster and more athletic though. She bounces over logs like an acrobat.
Tedd

Online Guss

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: New blood tracker? IDK yet.
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2019, 07:28:47 AM »
Great looking pup...!! I love the Jacks..!

Offline jbpharmd

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2019, 12:24:45 PM »
I have a 6 year old shortie JRT. Absolutely wonderful dogs. Mine did calm down a little after about 2yrs. I would have to say that mine is more sight/hearing oriented than smell.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bisch

« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2019, 01:14:59 PM »
JRT’s are great tracking dogs! My boy Zeke found this one yesterday:

I have not made the time to do any formal training with him, but have put him on all the live critters I could this season. He is only just over a year old. He is really getting the knack for finding them. All I have to do is ask him if he wants to go find a deer or a pig and pull out his tracking harness, and he goes bonkers wanting to get after it!!!!

As long as I am able to take care of a dog, I will never be without a Jack Russell Terror!!!!! Zeke is by far the best dog I have ever owned!!!!

Bisch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Online Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2019, 01:25:56 PM »
IMO, any dog can be taught to be a good blood tracker. The training is up to you.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline RedRidge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2019, 10:10:56 PM »
Tedd, pretty looking dog.

Not to hijack your thread, but what do you do to train a blood tracking dog? I self trained my lab to retrieve and enjoyed doing it. I am sure a blood tracking dog would be fun too.
-Connor-
62" Fox High Sierra 48@28
Tanasi Longbow 47@28

Offline meathead

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2019, 10:47:41 PM »
Looks like a winner.

Bisch

New blood tracker? IDK yet.
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2019, 08:58:27 AM »
Tedd, pretty looking dog.

Not to hijack your thread, but what do you do to train a blood tracking dog? I self trained my lab to retrieve and enjoyed doing it. I am sure a blood tracking dog would be fun too.

Most of it is saving blood from critters you shoot and laying out fake trails for them to follow.  As you progress, the trails are made harder,  longer, and older.

Zeke tracked this deer over a mile:

before we jumped it still alive!!!! It is truly amazing to watch a good dog at work!!!!

I’m still learning how to read what he is doing, and he is still learning too. I do think that he has figured out that the fresh meat treats he gets only happen after he has found a critter!!!!

Bisch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
« Last Edit: February 15, 2019, 09:07:06 AM by Bisch »

Online flyonline

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2019, 02:03:42 AM »
.....Jack Russell Terror!!!!!

Got that right! Wouldn't be game to take ours out as he's dynamite on ANYTHING that moves, including snakes (been bitten once already, $2000 later...), lizards, birds, mice, frogs etc. and even larger animals like sheep.

Still, that's what they were bred for so shouldn't be surprised. I'm with jbpharmd though, ours is entirely sight/sound orientated as our GSD will track something straight to the source while our JRT is still going in circles looking/listening.

Steve

Offline Broken Arrows

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2019, 09:07:55 AM »
I have had several JRT's over the years when I was hunting with Gos Hawks. They can be taught to hunt many critters or follow a blood trail. Once they know what you are doing they have it.
Like Bisch make your own blood trail and let them find all your kills with you plus they are fun to have around.
Take the long way around.
Dwyer Endeavor 58" 64@29"
Super Shrew 58" 60@28"
Thunder Child 58" 60@28"
Toelke Pika 56" 60@29"

Offline degabe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2019, 05:34:05 PM »
My feist was about 8 months old when he found his first deer. We had one we couldn't track so we took the pup and he went right down the track to the deer. He has been at it for ten years now.

Offline Possum Head

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2019, 08:54:07 PM »
Good stuff my neighbor had a RT when I first moved here. High energy little booger!

Offline KentuckyTJ

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2019, 10:00:25 PM »
Fantastic dogs. If ours dies tomorrow I'll be looking for another one on Monday.
www.zipperbows.com
The fulfillment of your hunt is determined by the amount of effort you put into it  >>>---->

Offline fujimo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2019, 11:28:09 PM »
we used them in south africa to track clients kills.
one actually got taken by a python, but they managed to wrestle him from the snakes jaws- and let the  ol' snake go unharmed. and the dog " Diesel" was a lot wiser for it.
they were great- high energy tracking dogs- but since i have had a Teckel, i think i would take a teckel  over any other dog for tracking for my situation.

they are easy enough to train- Like Pat says, they can all be trained to track- they all do it naturally, they just need to do it on command- but most JRT's come with the auditory/ brain nerve connector either dysfunctional or completely absent :laughing:
but they will track, quite well in fact!

Offline Jerry Russell

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: February 17, 2019, 06:58:52 AM »
I have seen them used a great deal in Africa.  They have a fierce heart. 

Offline jbpharmd

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: February 17, 2019, 08:51:48 AM »
I have seen them used a great deal in Africa.  They have a fierce heart.
Fierce is right! When Parson Russell bred them he installed Octane boosters with no off switch. Mine has no fear. He’ll face down pretty much anything, no matter how big or mean. We do call him a “Jack Russell Terrorist” on occasion because he is hard-headed and SMART!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Tedd

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: February 17, 2019, 07:46:52 PM »
Redridge,
I trained a Wire Haired Dachshund 16 years ago. Using deer blood and parts. Starting small and making it harder for a few months. All dogs have a nose and can find an animal better than a human. But I wanted a dog that had one specific job and that is wounded deer only. That dog came from hunting stock and did have a lot of desire for blood trailing, but the more training and actual trails they get the better they can be.
 I didn't realize how much the handler and dog had to work together. I figured it out fast though. My WHD was way better at her job than I was at mine! Trailing with a blood dog on a leash is not easy except in the best terrain. Even going through a cornfield can have you all wrapped around.
 Back then I wanted a really good tracking dog and she was. Now though my tracking dog will be an amateur. If she gets good with occasional practice trails and a couple real trails per year than that would be great. she is young. I don't know what she will be yet. Maybe a squirrel dog too?
 Winnie's color does go good with camo though! She had to check out my suitcase when I had to go out of town.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©