3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Muddy Pro Sticks  (Read 3072 times)

Offline Roger9070

• Trad Bowhunter
Muddy Pro Sticks
« on: February 17, 2019, 06:37:16 PM »
Hey Guys,

I bought a set of Muddy Pro Sticks back in September and no matter what I try I can't keep the steps from pivoting or moving when I climb with them.  I tried contacting Muddy Outdoors by email several times but they never answered my emails or contacted me in any way.

Does anyone else use Muddy Pro Sticks and do they have this problem as well?  I am really disappointed with their customer service and the product.  They make you provide them with both the receipt and the serial number of the product but then never answered any of my emails.

Thanks,
The older I get, the more I cherish each day in the woods, and each encounter with the animals I pursue!  I look forward to learning and becoming a better hunter and woodsman by immersing myself in their world and leaving the modern world behind.

Offline midwest_tradbow89

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Muddy Pro Sticks
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2019, 06:57:19 PM »
Have you tried tightening them down with the allen head screw? 
Newwood longbow vanguard 51#@29"

Offline Roger9070

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2019, 08:02:24 PM »
Yes, numerous times but they still move and rock back and forth when I put my weight on them.

Thanks,
The older I get, the more I cherish each day in the woods, and each encounter with the animals I pursue!  I look forward to learning and becoming a better hunter and woodsman by immersing myself in their world and leaving the modern world behind.

Offline KSdan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2019, 07:17:38 PM »
What do you mean "rock back and forth."  Do you mean the entire unit does not sit secure or each individual step is loose?   :dunno:
If we're not supposed to eat animals ... how come they're made out of meat? ~anon

Bears can attack people- although fewer people have been killed by bears than in all WWI and WWII combined.

Offline Roger9070

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2019, 09:47:55 PM »
KSdan,

"I bought a set of Muddy Pro Sticks back in September and no matter what I try I can't keep the steps from pivoting or moving when I climb with them."

As I stated in the original post the steps rock back and forth when you put your weight on them no matter how much you tighten them down!  If you step on the left side of the step it rocks to the left and the same with the right and you can rock the steps back and forth as your weight shifts.

When you are climbing up or down that is not something you want to feel especially when you are climbing up or down in the dark.

Thanks,

Offline KSdan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2019, 11:02:33 PM »
I would be curious how you are setting the sticks.  Its really NOT how tight you make the strap or rope.  The key is pulling down on the top of the stick to "lock" the stick on the tree, then when you step on the stick in slips down slightly more "locking" it in.  I often find sticks are still "stuck" to the tree even after I remove the strap/rope upon removal. 

I guess I am wondering if you are trying to tighten the strap as if that is what holds the stick tight.  It does not.  Its the "wedging" down of the stick that makes it tight and unmovable.

Dan in KS     
If we're not supposed to eat animals ... how come they're made out of meat? ~anon

Bears can attack people- although fewer people have been killed by bears than in all WWI and WWII combined.

Macatawa

« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2019, 11:03:11 PM »
KSdan,

"I bought a set of Muddy Pro Sticks back in September and no matter what I try I can't keep the steps from pivoting or moving when I climb with them."

As I stated in the original post the steps rock back and forth when you put your weight on them no matter how much you tighten them down!  If you step on the left side of the step it rocks to the left and the same with the right and you can rock the steps back and forth as your weight shifts.

When you are climbing up or down that is not something you want to feel especially when you are climbing up or down in the dark.

Thanks,

I have used these climbing stix for several seasons and have never had a "failure".  Your problem is most likely how and where you attach your stix to the tree.  I fully understand the issue BUT I can tell you, based on experience that you are in charge!  You choose the tree and specific location of that tree you attach your climbing stix.

If you are uncomfortable with the system, abandon that system...if you cannot secure your climbing equipment to allow you a safe and secure hunt....abandon that system.  I have had no problem with it but fully understand how anyone could. 

Macatawa

« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2019, 11:14:22 PM »
I would be curious how you are setting the sticks.  Its really NOT how tight you make the strap or rope.  The key is pulling down on the top of the stick to "lock" the stick on the tree, then when you step on the stick in slips down slightly more "locking" it in.  I often find sticks are still "stuck" to the tree even after I remove the strap/rope upon removal. 

I guess I am wondering if you are trying to tighten the strap as if that is what holds the stick tight.  It does not.  Its the "wedging" down of the stick that makes it tight and unmovable.

Dan in KS   

Roger, as I re-read this thread, I can tell you that Dan in KS understands how these work by experience...as do I.  Ya either get it or you don't.  and if you don't best thing is to find a system that works for you. 

Honestly, (again) I would suggest you abandon this system as you are not capable of using to an acceptable degree of safety.  Don't risk life or limb on something that doesn't work for you.

Offline Roger9070

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2019, 06:17:17 PM »

Dan in KS   

Dan,

The steps are extremely tight to the tree and they are attached per Muddy's instructions and I have watched their video a bunch of times.  I pull down and set the sticks before climbing and while the sticks are rock solid, to the point as you say when you undo the rope they almost hang there on their own, the steps still rock back and forth when any weight is put on them.  Now some have more movement than others but they all move.  To be 100% clear the only issue is that movement in the steps otherwise I have no other issue with them.

I did attempt to contact Muddy a couple of times but they never answered any of my emails or calls so I posted this thread to see if anyone else has encountered this issue while using them as well.  I felt if no one else has encountered this than the sticks I have could possibly be defective and need to be returned to Muddy for replacement.  I appreciate your input and help, thank you.  I think I am going to try and contact Muddy again to try and return the sticks.

Offline KSdan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2019, 06:56:59 PM »
Sure.  Tried to help. . . sounds like you are setting them correct.  Hmmm

Dan in KS

Offline Roger9070

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2019, 07:05:51 PM »

Dan in KS   

Roger, as I re-read this thread, I can tell you that Dan in KS understands how these work by experience...as do I.  Ya either get it or you don't.  and if you don't best thing is to find a system that works for you. 

Honestly, (again) I would suggest you abandon this system as you are not capable of using to an acceptable degree of safety.  Don't risk life or limb on something that doesn't work for you.

Tony,

I understand perfectly how the sticks work and they are being used per the manufacturer's instructions but regardless of how tight the stick is too the tree the steps still move, even though the everything else is rock solid.  Please explain what you mean by "ya either get it or you don't"?  Are you saying you and Dan have some special way of attaching them to the tree other than Muddy's instructions or videos because I would be more than happy to try that technique as well?

My intent with this thread was to find out if anyone else has experienced this issue since I have not heard from Muddy regarding my inquiries and wanted to know if anyone else experienced these problems as well.  If no one else had experienced these issues I would have to come to the conclusion they could be defective and need to be returned for replacement.

I was perfectly able to use the system, I just didn't feel that any product made to climb should have that type of movement, in what I felt should be a stationary object. I also felt that over time this could potentially become even more unsafe if the movement increased to the point it caused my foot to slip off the step.  Yes, I have switched to a different system in the interim, while I was waiting to hear from Muddy regarding this issue. Since I haven't heard from them in a couple months I am going to have to try and contact them again because I feel this may be an issue of a defective item.

Just so I am 100% clear you have never experienced what I am describing while using your Muddy Pro sticks? 

Thanks,

Offline Roger9070

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2019, 07:10:38 PM »
Sure.  Tried to help. . . sounds like you are setting them correct.  Hmmm

Dan in KS

Dan,

Based on what you and Tony are saying I'm leaning towards they could be a defective set and I will try and contact Muddy to return them. 

Thanks,

Offline KSdan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2019, 09:03:11 PM »
Roger- I have used some Muddy sticks and my go-to Lone wolf sticks, but I have never experienced this issue.  I am still confused as to the "back and forth" you mention.  I can't even imagine what this looks like.  But based on what you posted here- it sounds like you are attaching them correctly.  hmmm ???

Dan in KS

Macatawa

« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2019, 09:37:07 PM »
Roger- I have used some Muddy sticks and my go-to Lone wolf sticks, but I have never experienced this issue.  I am still confused as to the "back and forth" you mention.  I can't even imagine what this looks like.  But based on what you posted here- it sounds like you are attaching them correctly.  hmmm ???

Dan in KS

Roger...
I agree with you and understand your issue more clearly.  You are apparently clear on the use / set-up of the system.  My experience with "climbing stix" has been with the Lone Wolf system....and it appears to me that your stix are defective. 

Good luck on your efforts to find remedy!

Offline Roger9070

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2019, 06:12:15 PM »

Dan in KS

Thanks, Dan I really appreciate your help and input!

Roger

Offline Roger9070

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2019, 06:14:02 PM »

Dan in KS

Roger...
I agree with you and understand your issue more clearly.  You are apparently clear on the use / set-up of the system.  My experience with "climbing stix" has been with the Lone Wolf system....and it appears to me that your stix are defective. 

Good luck on your efforts to find remedy!

Thanks, Tony I appreciate your help and input I will keep you and Dan posted on how I make out.

Roger,

Online fisherick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: February 22, 2019, 07:55:31 PM »
Sort of sounds like it is not assembled correctly. Does someone have a assembly drawing or a close up picture that the OP may view of the steps and tree bracket. May be a washer out of place.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©