3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Nice option for 2 people to camp in pickup with truck cap.  (Read 3248 times)

Offline azhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
Nice option for 2 people to camp in pickup with truck cap.
« on: February 18, 2019, 04:49:28 PM »
Sometimes I am camping for one night on a hunt or want to camp a couple of nights but may be moving from one area to another and don't want to set up a camp or tent. I had been looking at options for two people to have room to sleep and have room for a little gear like a duffle bag or items for your clothes. Has plenty of room for ice chest and backpacks and other gear while traveling. I couldn't find anything that would work so I bought a used Disc-o-bed for $180 which is almost half price. I cut 10" out of the middle bars and cut off the bottom base bar just below the weld so it would fit and allow me to fold down the window to the camper shell. I am 6"0" and it works perfect for me but if you are taller your feet may hit the ends of the cot. I may weld a 1" square metal tube across the front and rear bottom horizontal at the head and foot area where it lays in the truck bed. Not necessary but may do it anyway. My son and I used it on a recent hunt and it worked great. Sets up easily and comes in a nice small zipped case. Here is a picture of what it looks like when you get it and what it looks like after I cut it down. Thought I would post this in case it would be something that would be useful to others.

« Last Edit: February 18, 2019, 04:58:10 PM by azhunter »

Offline azhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Nice option for 2 people to camp in pickup with truck cap.
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2019, 04:50:27 PM »
Picture after cut down to fit.

Offline azhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2019, 04:51:13 PM »
With double pads to sleep well. :)

Offline goobersan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2019, 04:57:52 PM »
 :thumbsup:

Offline LC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2019, 05:04:08 PM »
I LOVE it. I can see my and my buddies being all over this 20 years ago. At my age I'm out. Actually I'd have to be pried out. Seriously I love it! Good for you!
Most people get rich by making more money than they have needs, me, I just reduced my needs!

Offline Biathlonman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2019, 06:03:22 PM »
Guessing 8' truck bed?  I like it...

Offline Tajue17

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2019, 06:36:20 PM »
that thing is cool,,,,, In my Tacoma I built up the floor 2x6's then covered with hinged plywood so I could have a lot of compartments to put stuff in and still have the bed,  I have a stove and like to climb in the back and cook when taking breaks from hunting and fishing but was keeping an eye out for some kind of bed that would work to take quick naps and this might be it,,,,,, I'm thinking eliminate the lower one and keep the higher one where it would be warmer,, or use the lower one in the summer only..

thanks for posting.
"Us vs Them"

Offline azhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2019, 07:00:03 PM »
Biathlonman. It’s a 2007 Dodge Diesel Megacab. It has a 75.5” bed. I cut it to where I can just shut the tailgate.

Offline Tajue17

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2019, 07:50:06 PM »
Biathlonman. It’s a 2007 Dodge Diesel Megacab. It has a 75.5” bed. I cut it to where I can just shut the tailgate.

yikes! I guess I have to go back to the baby mattress idea.
"Us vs Them"

Online fisherick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2019, 08:13:38 PM »
I had a 7' bed ford ranger with a high cap that I installed two 21"bunks that overhanged custom plywood storage boxes underneath (over wheel wells). I designed it that I could turn my boots on the floor (12"). The storage boxes housed my fishing rods, fishing gear, or hunting gear and camping gear. The other side stowed my tools and some gear. Worked out to be a nice camping setup I could also work out of.

Offline Hummer3T

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2019, 08:44:13 PM »
I used to have a cap on my old chev...I made a bed from rail to rail across the front with plywood, a couple supports and a double mattress  that way you off bottom of pickup, you could sit on bed to put on gear and lots of room for gear, only thing you were close sleeping arrangements, mostly dad and brother, so didn't worry about that too much.

Like your idea for two and room down one side...cool thanks for sharing.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2019, 09:32:24 AM by Hummer3T »
Life is about learning from your mistakes!

Chek-mate hunter I 62" riser with 60" limbs 49&42lbs@28

Samick Sage 62" 50lbs@28

Big Jim Mountain Monarch Recurve  60 inch / 50 lbs @ 28

Macatawa

« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2019, 09:20:09 AM »
Yep....I like it!
 :archer2:

Now I have an excuse to buy a new truck....LOL

Offline tom cunningham

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2019, 08:30:06 PM »
Just checked out the site.  I like it!

Offline azhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2019, 08:59:51 PM »
Each of the side bars on the cots are 3 pieces. The middle piece is just a round pole and the other two fit into it. You can cut any length off the middle poles to make the disc-o-bed whatever length you need. I then just cut  off the same length of cot material as I cut off pole length. I was going to sow it but the bottom is some type of rubbery type material and the top is some type of tough material and it doesn't appear that it will fray. Search the adds in your local area for used.

Offline OBXarcher

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2019, 05:08:08 AM »
Reminds me of my bunk on the submarine

Offline monterey

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2019, 09:18:25 AM »
Now two people can freeze to death together and in comfort!  :biglaugh:
Monterey

"I didn't say all that stuff". - Confucius........and Yogi Berra

Online fisherick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: February 22, 2019, 01:04:09 PM »
Azhunter, Soooo where do you put your cooler, stove, lantern, cooking utensils, food, guns, bows, duffle bags, etc. and how do you get in and out of that lower bunk? Where will you carry the deer you kill?  :coffee:

pavan

« Reply #17 on: February 22, 2019, 01:33:51 PM »
My six banger Subaru Outback is very reliable, capable and fast, but i miss my van.  It had the most comfortable fold out back seat ever, screened windows and plenty of room.  Pickup boxes are too small, I get claustrophobic. .  I pull a 4 by 6 trailer that holds my Egyptian canvas baker tent that I can set up by myself it has all of the enclosure walls and ends up being a 9 by 15 tent complete with a heater, a folding table, a Huntmor Chair and a fold out bed that is more comfortable than my bed at home.  I just have to set all of it up.  I miss my van, nothing like that middle of the day nap, where ever I may be.
   Just wondering, do you have a stick to poke the guy on top when he starts to snore?  I cannot think of anyone that i would want sleeping that close to me. In my wall tent I have a squirt gun for when my wife starts to snore. You know the fake sounds of the elephants on Tembo?    She's got one too, but has yet to catch me snoring.  That's correct, we have separate bed rooms at home.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2019, 04:49:29 PM by pavan »

Offline azhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: February 22, 2019, 04:17:35 PM »
Fisherick.... Thats simple, I have a mega cab diesel. The back seat is way bigger than the front seat with a ton of leg room. I can carry way more than you listed very easily. The deer or game go in a cooler which there is plenty of room for next to the cot. I put the cooler outside or in the back seat at night. Also the cot comes down and folds up in a nice bag in two minutes if needed.

Kevsupurg.... the things we will do to be able to hunt on the go if needed. Very creative.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©