3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Wood Arrows - Informational Videos + Request  (Read 1533 times)

Offline RedRidge

• Trad Bowhunter
Wood Arrows - Informational Videos + Request
« on: February 19, 2019, 10:00:19 PM »
Gang,

I have been looking at getting into wood arrows and am still in my research phase. Of course youtube provides. I found this video series from Addictive Archery super helpful and informational for myself with zero wood arrow knowledge. Figured others would like to watch as well. There are about 10-11 videos on the process if you have the time. Enjoy! The link below should take you to the intro to his video series. If it doesn't, just search "addictive archery arrow making 101."

For the request part I am asking the long time woody connoisseurs for a shaft around 500 +/- 50 for a 48@28 recurve. Thinking of a broad head between 125-175 grains. I draw 28 inches and don't really have a preference for my first set. Any recommendations on a wood setup you think would fit the bill? Thanks!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FLEAp0psp_U&list=PLw4S7ANQ1i3C3nenTtn-6a-8gtRRoOHNX&index=17&t=0s

-Connor-
62" Fox High Sierra 48@28
Tanasi Longbow 47@28

Offline Ray Lyon

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Wood Arrows - Informational Videos + Request
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2019, 10:29:13 PM »
So for a 29” BOP arrow I’d say add 35 grains for nock, feathers and finish to your 125 to 175 grain points so this means you are looking for full length shafts around 320-330 grains and then  losing about 10% in cutting and tapering. 
Tradgang Charter Member #35

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2019, 11:12:45 AM »
Your recurve is probably cut to center, and I'll assume a low-stretch string.  Given your draw weight at 28 inches, and a desired point weight of 125 grains or so, 11/32 POC or Doug fir shafts spined about 55-60# and cut to 29 inches BOP (30 inches full length minus an inch for the taper) should about do it.  May have to go up 5# of spine for the 175 grain heads. Finished and fletched (and depending on point weight), these will come in at 500 to 550 grain arrows in POC, usually a little heavier in Doug fir. 

Online durp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2019, 03:24:59 PM »
x2 on orions comment...60/65's with 160gn or 55/60 with 125

Offline RedRidge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2019, 07:21:44 PM »
Thanks all for the responses! I was reading that some companies offer test kits. Would love to test some out before dropping the coin on a full set. Any recommendations on a test kit?
-Connor-
Tanasi Longbow 47@28

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2019, 07:34:59 PM »
In woodies, those who offer a test kit usually offer three spine ranges.  You might go with 50-55, 55-60 and 60-65.  Three Rivers offers such kits.  Most other vendors do as well.  That being said, you might just ask your vendor what he thinks is the best for your set up.  I think I've got it pegged pretty close.  Good luck.

Offline RedRidge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2019, 07:41:58 PM »
In woodies, those who offer a test kit usually offer three spine ranges.  You might go with 50-55, 55-60 and 60-65.  Three Rivers offers such kits.  Most other vendors do as well.  That being said, you might just ask your vendor what he thinks is the best for your set up.  I think I've got it pegged pretty close.  Good luck.

Thanks Jerry
-Connor-
Tanasi Longbow 47@28

Offline Zradix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2019, 09:25:43 AM »
Test kits are great to have around if you're planning on staying with the sport for a while....trying different bows, tip weights etc.
It seems that surewood shafts are considered by many to be the best.
It would be good to get a test kit of the type of shaft you plan to shoot.
If some animals are good at hunting and others are suitable for hunting, then the Gods must clearly smile on hunting.~Aristotle

..there's more fun in hunting with the handicap of the bow than there is in hunting with the sureness of the gun.~ F.Bear

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©