3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: CWD Cure Press Conference  (Read 4295 times)

Offline Hummer3T

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: CWD Cure Press Conference
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2019, 09:44:52 AM »
I hope it is true...it will make a big change to our hunting here. thanks for sharing
Life is about learning from your mistakes!

Chek-mate hunter I 62" riser with 60" limbs 49&42lbs@28

Samick Sage 62" 50lbs@28

Big Jim Mountain Monarch Recurve  60 inch / 50 lbs @ 28

Offline Hummer3T

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2019, 10:12:09 AM »
Life is about learning from your mistakes!

Chek-mate hunter I 62" riser with 60" limbs 49&42lbs@28

Samick Sage 62" 50lbs@28

Big Jim Mountain Monarch Recurve  60 inch / 50 lbs @ 28

Online mjh

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2019, 10:13:04 AM »
Interesting developments.

Online Trenton G.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2019, 12:30:44 PM »
Hopefully it works. That would be fantastic.

If the supplement really does cure CWD, the DNR will be requiring us to bait as opposed to banning it.  :laughing:

Offline Ralph Wilkerson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2019, 12:39:29 PM »
Another perspective: https://blog.nature.org/science/2019/02/05/chronic-wasting-disease-what-you-need-to-know/

I also hope this study is true, BUT as a scientist I am troubled by numerous articles saying that other researchers have not been able to duplicate his results, as is noted in the above article.

Offline Jayrod

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2019, 06:30:49 PM »
Again thxs for this info Aaron I appreciate it I know my areas in PA Were hammered with it I hope things rebound soon
NRA Life member

Compton traditional bowhunter member

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2019, 04:11:55 PM »
Interesting.
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline Don Stokes

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2019, 12:39:10 PM »
One of the most important features of good science is that experimental results have to be verifiable by other scientists. This is not the case with this situation.
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.- Ben Franklin

Offline whiskyweasel

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2019, 03:31:43 PM »
As noted above, this bacteria study has not been successfully replicated. The following article from the Cornell Wildlife Health Lab does a really good job of laying out the evidence for CWD being caused by mis-folded prions. Hope it helps.

https://cwhl.vet.cornell.edu/article/prion-hypothesis-cwd-examination-evidence?fbclid=IwAR27xKeKUng6JovbxAkJIh11mhz16K6QRKiVfY1OXfOOS7QlqwtY5jlJ1eU

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2019, 07:05:50 PM »
Wow, this could be something. I could see how the prion discovery could have masked the bacterial cause.

Interesting comment above too about the potential irony of "cure" delivery if/when we get to that phase.   We have to be careful.  We have always scoffed at the anti's because they think birth control, delivered by capturing and administering BC drugs to deer, could replace the hunter.  So will/would delivery of a treatment to wild populations be very difficult. But, certainly one could figure out a way to deliver the cure that is more effective than herd reduction.

Reckon C'mere Deer stock might climb?

Now I'm going to check with my peers to see how credible this is.

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2019, 07:25:47 PM »
Just a little searching. I found this with surely some of you have also seen:
https://www.deeranddeerhunting.com/articles/deer-news/bacteria-and-cwd-cure-dr-bastian-speaks

IN a nutshell, this fellow found the species of bacteria in 1979.   He's been on this bacterial track to learn the cause of CWD, CJD, etc. for decades.  Research money has been following the Prion path. That path, where the money is being provided, has dominated the scientific discussion for years because egos won't allow some folks to say they are "lost" and on the wrong trail.

I can't believe all the researchers on this path want is a couple $100,000 to sort this out. If the connection to ALS,  alzheimer's, CJD, and parkinson's , the research is priceless.

I fear my excitement will come crashing down to earth when credible people educate me?

Offline Don Stokes

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2019, 08:48:02 AM »
If the results can't be replicated, then something is wrong somewhere. Unless/until this is independently corroborated, it's just a curiosity.
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.- Ben Franklin

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2019, 08:53:04 AM »
I agree.  Although, I'm often suspicious of research following the money.

It is hard to believe that this work or hypothesis could have been around so long and it not getting much traction. 

The striking thing to me is (yes I'm a retiree of FW agencies) that PA Game Commission would seem to put so much stock in this if was merit-worthy.

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2019, 10:33:23 AM »
Two of my peers, who are still working in their agencies (KY and NE) provided me the following:

https://cwhl.vet.cornell.edu/article/prion-hypothesis-cwd-examination-evidence

Reminds me of another controversial subject in our society right now, two opposing groups claim to have scientific "proof" for a particular position.

Offline Butch Speer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: March 02, 2019, 10:50:36 AM »
Two of my peers, who are still working in their agencies (KY and NE) provided me the following:

https://cwhl.vet.cornell.edu/article/prion-hypothesis-cwd-examination-evidence

Reminds me of another controversial subject in our society right now, two opposing groups claim to have scientific "proof" for a particular position.

Good article.
God Bless

Butch the Yard Gnome

67 Bear Kodiak Hunter 58" 48@28
73 Bear Grizzly 58" 47@ 28
74 Bear Kodiak Hunter 45@28
Shakespeare Necedah 58" 45@28

Nothing is ever lost by courtesy. It is the cheapest of pleasures, costs nothing, and conveys much.
- Erastus Wiman

Offline Mark R

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: March 02, 2019, 01:02:10 PM »
Lots of info still no answers, is it more prevalent now verses a hundred years ago or is it because we have more and better data now than before? could it be what there eating now than before as in crops that have chemicals in them or genetically modified? The herds are feeding more now on agriculture than say in the far past. All I know is that I'm in Northern Il. were it is a given to me that if I harvest Deer I should have it checked, and if found infected would I want to consume it and feed my family with it, I would not, or if not checked will you be alright eating and sharing it with friends and family without telling them, does'nt motivate me to go out and hunt Deer. If not hunted the herds will multiply far more than if hunted, then we may have more infected Deer, ask what the anti hunters solution to that is and if it's even a concern to them now and what are they doing about it besides complaining about hunting in general. Thats my rant 
« Last Edit: March 02, 2019, 01:12:07 PM by Mark R »

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: March 02, 2019, 01:28:21 PM »
Hey Mark,
I spent 28 years in FW management. Dealt with antis.  They are not against hunting as much as they are against PEOPLE who hunt. I'm sure some of them see the possibility of a hunter or support of same getting sick eating deer a good thing.

I have been in the presence of these people when they would rather there were not certain game animals if it meant no hunters. For example, elk restoration in Kentucky? Not on their watch if it means elk hunters. They lost, elk and hunters won BTW.

GCook

« Reply #18 on: March 02, 2019, 04:42:56 PM »
That article just restates what has already been presented numerous times.  What they can't seem to determine is why only certain proteins fold and only in certain animals.  I don't buy into the hype around it.  I agree it is a problem and needs to be researched and addressed but given that so few people (percentage wise) eat venison I doubt that even if it became cross communal very few would be compromised. 
How long did it take to identify and understand "mad cow"?

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Offline Tomas Stieber

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: March 02, 2019, 09:48:34 PM »
Just a comment-Many hunters here say that prefer venison because it is a healthy alternative to beef in that there are no drugs in the meat. Now if these new findings are correct, are we are going to feed deer antibiotics, even the healthy ones? We as humans are constantly warned by our Doctors not to take antibiotics without good cause. And also deer are not the only animals that will consume the bait.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©