Author Topic: Lemonwood?  (Read 1013 times)

Offline 504state

• Trad Bowhunter
Lemonwood?
« on: February 20, 2019, 05:21:18 PM »
Anyone work with this wood. Hear it’s a good bow wood but havent read about many people working with it. I’m curious about its similarities to other bow woods.

Online Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Lemonwood?
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2019, 06:31:40 PM »
I've built 2 lemonwood bows and have two older(1930's-40's) lemonwood bows(one a York, the other homemade). The wood is nice to work with but is susceptible to fretting if your tillering is off.
 Not much lemonwood around like it used to be. Lemonwood comes from Cuba(and maybe parts of Central America) and since the embargo in the 1960's it's been hard to get. There is still some pre-embargo lemonwood around.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline 504state

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2019, 09:21:05 PM »
I've built 2 lemonwood bows and have two older(1930's-40's) lemonwood bows(one a York, the other homemade). The wood is nice to work with but is susceptible to fretting if your tillering is off.
 Not much lemonwood around like it used to be. Lemonwood comes from Cuba(and maybe parts of Central America) and since the embargo in the 1960's it's been hard to get. There is still some pre-embargo lemonwood around.
I’m heading to Cuba next week . I figured I would ask and see if it is worth trying to find while there. Sounds like it is.

Online Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2019, 12:00:13 AM »
Good luck.   :thumbsup:
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©