3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Selfbow Buildalong Challenge  (Read 435 times)

Offline John Scifres

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Selfbow Buildalong Challenge
« on: April 02, 2008, 02:09:00 PM »
OK guys and girls.  It's time to step up and start posting buildalongs.  We have a new Traditional Bowyer's Bible and I'm seeing a little more chatter out there.  But where the heck are the buildalongs?  All you new guys need to do 'em.  Us old guys did our bit.  We've said all we can and are set in our ways.  Our buildalongs are boring anyway.  We need some youth here.  Challenge us and our doctrine.  

Cut a tree and see if it can really be seasoned and tillered as fast as that pot stirrer Tim Baker says it can.  Use different woods, even the ones that used to not be bow wood but now are.  Burn some bow bellies up and show us how that heat tempering works.

Come on, wake us old guys up.  Have you ever read the kid's book "Verdi" by Jannell Cannon?  I'm one of those big fat green snakes laying on a branch waiting for one of you whippersnappers to wake me up.

Please.
Take a kid hunting!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline onemississipp

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Selfbow Buildalong Challenge
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2008, 02:43:00 PM »
I have yet to get  TBB vol 4.
I would love to see some build alongs also.
Dustin
_ _ _________________________________ _  _

Offline mjc

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2008, 02:53:00 PM »
I just cut a big mulberry last week when it gets dry I may give it a go. Nothing like failing in public.
Matt

Offline robtattoo

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2008, 02:58:00 PM »
I'd do one if I had a stave to play with..... :)
"I came into this world, kicking, screaming & covered in someone else's blood. I have no problem going out the same way"

PBS & TBT Member

>>---TGMM, Family of the Bow--->

Offline jared s

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2008, 03:06:00 PM »
I've been considering doing a "poor mans" buildalong for awhile, catering to those (like me)who don't have a shop or a lot of tools. Something for beginners or people (like me) who have found themselves stuck in a city without a lot of space. All I need is a bow that doesn't blow up in my face.   ;)
"Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it."
Ferris Bueller

Offline John Scifres

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2008, 03:17:00 PM »
Dustin, buy it, you'll like it.

Matt, Get that mulberry roughed out.  I think Baker says you can dry it in 9 days or something equally preposterous. You know you could hurt yourself going that fast.  Better to just take it slow and easy [grumbled the old fat snake].

Dang Rob, that hurt.  I actally have your piece roughed out as of last night.  I might even finish this weekend.

Jared, now that is what I'm talking about.  My first 5 bows or so were made with a hatchet, a 4 way rasp, and a butcher knife in my back yard or in a spare bedroom upstairs in my first house.  I bet there's still yellow dust up there.  

I remember a foolish use of a grinder to shape a bow in there when it was too cold to work outside.  Not a smart move.  That and sinewing in my kitchen rank right up there.  Here's my very first (and maybe the very first ever internet) buildalong.  I learned a lot and got free advice from some of the greatest bowyers alive.    Stalking Tiller Live I
Take a kid hunting!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline bowmaker07

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2008, 03:41:00 PM »
I was just on the phone this morning trying to get a couple logs from a friend(oak,walnut).They've been cut for two years and left outside so I don't know what shape they're in.I want to do a self-bow because I've built 10 board bows in the last couple months(laid-off).If I come up with something maybe I'll do a build-a-long but there won't be anything new and earth shaking,I'm still new at this.
Walk softly and carry a bent stick

Offline robtattoo

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2008, 03:57:00 PM »
Sorry John, only pokin' fun!  :D
"I came into this world, kicking, screaming & covered in someone else's blood. I have no problem going out the same way"

PBS & TBT Member

Offline dino

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2008, 04:22:00 PM »
Hey Rob, if you drop by the house there is an ash stave in the barn that you can have  :goldtooth:
"The most demanding thing you can ask of a piece of wood is for it to become an arrow shaft. You reduce it to the smallest of dimension yet ask it to remain it's strongest, straightest and most durable." Bill Sweetland

Offline BryanB

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2008, 05:01:00 PM »
I just cut some new exparimental woods (for me).  I have a nice holly wood stave and a "straigt" english Ivy stave drying.  I have a photinia stave ready and have my eye on a very large scotch broom bush that should yeild two billets.  When I finish my service-berrry bow I'm working on, I'll start with some of the wierd wood.
Bryan

Offline Osagetree

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2008, 05:38:00 PM »
I love the build alongs even if it was done before. Never know when you'll pick up on something that may save time or you could spot something interesting laying on the work bench.

Cured bow wood in 9 days? What ta  :eek:
>>--TGMM--> Family of the Bow

Offline soopernate

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2008, 05:47:00 PM »
I might try to put together a red oak board bow buildalong....??? I have pretty limited skills but might like having everyone help me out with the process. Kind of ashamed of my work area though lol.....
I humbly follow in the learned footsteps of those who precede me.

Offline wingnut

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2008, 05:51:00 PM »
Now John, don't be stirring up the new guys.  They are probably sitting back and waiting for you and the rest of us to do another one.  Don't really see that happening soon though.  

BTW where did you find a branch big enough to lay on?  Is it bow wood?

LOL

Mike
Mike Westvang

Offline Linc

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2008, 06:07:00 PM »
My bow making has become to sperodic to even think about doing a build-a-long.My latest bow has been in the works for 9 months.    :knothead:
Lincoln E. Farr

Offline mike hall

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2008, 06:13:00 PM »
bernie had one going.......... is that one killing stuff yet? looked like a good one

Offline shawn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: April 02, 2008, 06:30:00 PM »
I just finished laying out a hickory stave I got from Linc. I will try to get out and take photos as I go. Been having trouble getting motivated.

Shawn

Offline robtattoo

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: April 02, 2008, 06:42:00 PM »
Originally posted by dino:
Hey Rob, if you drop by the house there is an ash stave in the barn that you can have   :goldtooth:  
You at home on Saturday morning Dino? I'll pop on over & pick 'er up!   :biglaugh:

PBS & TBT Member

Offline horatio1226

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: April 02, 2008, 06:59:00 PM »
I took my drawknives to a sharpening service to be sharpened and he ground them on the top and bottom. Needless to say, I had to buy a new one.
Well it came and then realized that I needed a bandsaw blade. Finding one 77" was a bit of a challenge but I finally found one and they should be here this week. I have had this beautiful, seasoned black walnut sitting on my bench for months. I have some nice bamboo slats waiting to be glued to it. I'm in. I'll do a build along. I could use the help. I've done a couple but really am a novice. I am dying to see this black walnut in a bow. Give me a couple days to get started. Any advice on laying out and starting a boo backed black walnut? Thanks
Brian
"So long as the moon returns to the heavens in a bent, beautiful arc, so long will the fascination with archery in man lasts."

Offline bowmaker07

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: April 02, 2008, 07:31:00 PM »
What is everyone's opinion on walnut for a self-bow?I see horatio is going to back his with boo.With limbs 1 3/4 wide and 66 long it should be fine w/o backing right?A looker too!
Walk softly and carry a bent stick

Offline dosbow56

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: April 02, 2008, 07:39:00 PM »
Where the heck do ya get that osage stuff anyway.....LOL
"We watch our arrows fly. We watch our friends' arrows fly. We can't wait 'til the next one flies. It's as though we were watching through a child's eyes the same marvelous magic trick over and over."
Dean Torges "Hunting the Osage Bow"

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©