3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: NEW From Shrew  (Read 4873 times)

Offline Ron LaClair

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
NEW From Shrew
« on: February 25, 2019, 03:14:42 PM »
Introducing the SHREW SCOUT, A 5 arrow quiver carried over the shoulder under the arm is made of distressed Water Buffalo hide. The hood thickness is 8/9oz and the back is reinforced 5/6oz.

With 64 years of hunting experience to my credit I feel that a 5 arrow capacity quiver is the perfect size. I like to carry a blunt or judo and 4 broadheads. If you can't get the job done with 4 broadheads then you should go home and practice.  :archer2:

« Last Edit: February 26, 2019, 01:20:04 PM by Ron LaClair »
We live in the present, we dream of the future, but we learn eternal truths from the past
When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life so that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice.
Life is like a wet sponge, you gotta squeeze it until you get every drop it has to offer

Online Cory Mattson

• Global Moderator
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: NEW From Shrew
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2019, 03:31:06 PM »
43 years in and agree with one judo 4 broadheads - I admit to a few hunts I had a 'back up' quiver not far away LOL - Yes need a pic
<><
<------------------------------<<<<<<
Savannah River Bow Zone - Trad only Bowhunting Clubs and Camps

Offline Huntrdfk

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2019, 03:31:27 PM »
TGMM Family of The Bow
PBS Regular Member
Comptons

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." George Orwell

Offline Wudstix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Wood arrows & D/R Longbows Rule!!!
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2019, 03:34:49 PM »
I'm looking for a quiver for my new Kota.
"If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space!!!" - Me

Psalms 121: 1-3 - King David

60" Big River 67#@28"              
60" MOAB D/R LB 62#@27"
60" Big River D/R LB 65#@27"
62" Kota Badlands LB 72#@28"
62" Howatt TD 62#@28
58” Bear Grizzly 70#@28”
62" Big River D/R LB 60#@30"
66" Moosejaw Razorback LB 60#@28"

"Memento Mori"
PBS - Associate Member
Retired DoD Civ 1985-2019

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2019, 04:02:52 PM »
Very nice, Ron.

:thumbsup:

Offline Amberjack

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2019, 07:26:33 PM »
Beautiful work!

It's different of course but first impression reminded me of the St. Charles quiver.

Jack
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
"Now then, take your weapons, your quiver and your bow, and go out to the field and hunt game for me" Gen 27:3
>>>---TGMM Family of the Bow--->>>

Offline Ron LaClair

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2019, 07:57:49 PM »
It's different of course but first impression reminded me of the St. Charles quiver.

I used a St Charles quiver many years ago, in fact I had a couple of them. Here's Glenn in my shop some years back signing my SC quivers.

The Shrew Scout is a much smaller quiver and more solidly made

We live in the present, we dream of the future, but we learn eternal truths from the past
When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life so that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice.
Life is like a wet sponge, you gotta squeeze it until you get every drop it has to offer

Offline Ron LaClair

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2019, 08:07:37 PM »
Here's a much younger me using that quiver years ago.

Sometimes it takes time to figure our what works best for you. I think over the years I used every kind of arrow carrier ever made, Hill style, centerback, many different bow quivers...including one that rotated to bring the next arrow in line to grab and put on the string.

« Last Edit: February 25, 2019, 08:21:23 PM by Ron LaClair »

Offline Ron LaClair

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2019, 08:14:30 PM »
I actually used a homemade version of the Shrew Scout almost 40years ago. I reworked a Bear 8 arrow quiver, took off the arms, added a rod to attach a strap that allowed me to carry it at my side. This kind of carry is great for slipping through brush while keeping your bow unencumbered. I don't remember why I didn't stay with that style.

Online Chad R

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2019, 08:59:43 PM »
That looks like a great quiver.  I like that style too!
Will you be able to replace the grippers for different diameter arrows?

Offline Jon Stewart

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2019, 10:51:41 PM »
I love that picture of your bride by the fire. Reminds me when she sat next to my wife at our fire at Elm Hall one year. They introduced themselves and had a great visit.

Offline Ron LaClair

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2019, 10:02:34 AM »
That's one of my favorite pictures too Jon. That was around 1983 on an MLA rabbit hunt in March near Mio. Her feet were getting cold so we found a dry spot and I started a fire for her. She was a trooper and loved the outdoors and hunting with her bow. I was blessed to have her with me for so many years.

Offline Ron LaClair

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2019, 10:33:09 AM »
That looks like a great quiver.  I like that style too!
Will you be able to replace the grippers for different diameter arrows?

The standard grippers that come on the quiver will hold 5/16 or 11/32 arrows, a smaller gripper for skinny shafts is also available.  :archer:

Offline Zradix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2019, 11:30:28 AM »
Now that's my kind of quiver!
Does the hood have foam in it?
If some animals are good at hunting and others are suitable for hunting, then the Gods must clearly smile on hunting.~Aristotle

..there's more fun in hunting with the handicap of the bow than there is in hunting with the sureness of the gun.~ F.Bear

Offline Ron LaClair

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2019, 12:34:48 PM »
Does the hood have foam in it?

Yes it does have foam in the hood. Also I'm working on a cover for the feathers to protect from rain and/or bright color fletching. :archer:

Offline Zradix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: February 26, 2019, 12:37:42 PM »
Thanks for the reply.
Sounds great.
I too have made a quiver like the one you did years ago from an oneida bow quiver....and still use today.
Love the general idea of this type of quiver.

This one you're making now looks sooooo much nicer.
Will the strap be reversible?....or right and left side versions?
Over the years I've had to switch from right to left handed shooting and back again for various reasons.
...had to modify my quiver each time...lol
« Last Edit: February 26, 2019, 12:49:10 PM by Zradix »
If some animals are good at hunting and others are suitable for hunting, then the Gods must clearly smile on hunting.~Aristotle

..there's more fun in hunting with the handicap of the bow than there is in hunting with the sureness of the gun.~ F.Bear

Offline Ron LaClair

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: February 26, 2019, 01:03:03 PM »
Will the strap be reversible?....or right and left side versions?

Yes, the strap can be stitched from right to left or vice versa

Offline Zradix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: February 26, 2019, 01:15:35 PM »
 :thumbsup:

Offline Roger Norris

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: February 26, 2019, 03:03:22 PM »
Send mine before you send Ray's.
"Good Lord....well, your new name is Sledge."
Ron LaClair upon seeing the destruction of his new lock on the east gate

"A man that cheats in the woods will cheat anywhere"
G. Fred Asbell

Offline Alexander Traditional

• TG HALL OF FAME