3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: conditioning coyotes  (Read 235 times)

Offline Bear Heart

• Trad Bowhunter
conditioning coyotes
« on: April 02, 2008, 03:59:00 PM »
A buddy of mine has asked me to take care of some coyotes that are killing his chickens.  A bowhunting opertunity.  Just trying to find ways to bring them in more consistantly as I have limited night to hunt during the week and they need to go.  I would also welcome any hunting tips for them.  Thanks.
Traditional Bowhunters of Washington
PBS Associate Member
Jairus & Amelia's Dad
"Memories before merchandise!"

Offline Bear Heart

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: conditioning coyotes
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2008, 04:01:00 PM »
I won't be back for a couple of hours.  gotta make a livin.
PBS Associate Member
Jairus & Amelia's Dad

Offline Ian johnson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2008, 04:21:00 PM »
if its at night and the coyotes need to be removed, I would use a rifle, I have not been able to call them within bow range yet, but I'm working on it
ARTAC member
53@29 sheepeater shaman recurve
52@29 66 bear grizzly
51@29 dryad orion td longbow

Offline just_a_hunter

• Corporate Sponsor
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2008, 04:30:00 PM »
Put one of the roosters in a live trap/cage and hide it in the bushes about 50 yards from the chicken coop before sun up. EDIT: Make sure you hide the rooster good enough that the coyotes have to get real close to the cage. They will pay a lot of attention investigating the rooster and therefore will be distracted when it comes time to draw your bow.

Conceal yourself in full camo about 15 yards UPWIND from the rooster with bow in hand.

The Coyotes that are doing this are probably habitual about eating chickens and easy meals.

When the sun starts to rise the rooster will start his cockle-doodle-doo routine.

The coyotes will think one of those easy meals has wondered off and now is an easier meal.

Once again, Make sure you are up wind.

I've personally taken many a coyote, fox, and bobcats with this method.

If you shoot one, stay put. There very well might be another hungry belly not far from the dominate yote. The rooster will go nuts when he's got a preditor trying to get at him through the cage.

Good luck,

Todd
"Before you get down on yourself  because you don't have the things you want, think of all the things you DON'T want that you don't have."

You'll notice the "luckiest" elk hunters have worn out boots.

Offline just_a_hunter

• Corporate Sponsor
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2008, 04:46:00 PM »
Originally posted by Ian johnson:
if its at night and the coyotes need to be removed, I would use a rifle, I have not been able to call them within bow range yet, but I'm working on it
Ian,

Once you see the coyote stop using your predetor call and make short "kissing" noises with your lips. Also make sure your call stands are up wind of where a coyote is most likely going to come. You can fool everything about a coyote except his nose. No amount of cover scent will help.

Good luck all,

Todd
"Before you get down on yourself  because you don't have the things you want, think of all the things you DON'T want that you don't have."

Offline just_a_hunter

• Corporate Sponsor
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2008, 04:50:00 PM »
Also,

Paint a frizbee grey. If you have a coyote hang up, flip the frizbee up in the air while keeping your hands low to immatate a bird of prey "jumping" or landing. Throw the frizbee to you left or right with minumim body movement.

This is a good confidence booster.

The frizbee's can also be used as a barrier between butt and ice.

That's about all of my preditor calling secrets for now.

Todd

Offline bentstick_55

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2008, 06:17:00 PM »
Tie the chickens out in the yard and hope you get the coyote before your buddy see what you did!!!!!!!

Seriously, they make a remote electronic coyote call with a little fake furry critter that flops around as it squeals. That should distract him. You can get him close at night but it's that time between draw and arrow impact where things usually go terribly wrong.
The greatest words a man can hear are, "Will you take me with you Daddy"????

Offline Bear Heart

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2008, 06:21:00 PM »
Is the best time early morning?
PBS Associate Member
Jairus & Amelia's Dad

Offline Hunter John

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2008, 06:58:00 PM »
Seriously,if it purely a matter of saving your friends chickens I would use a call or even a decoy(rooster or whatever)and a load of #4buck or #2s.
Yes a longbow or curve would be more challenging but this is a mission not simply recreation.Once you dupe the yote once and miss he will not be easily foiled a second time.
Yes he will come back and respond to all manner of calls but he will always circle down wind to make sure all is well.
Drawing a bow with a yote inside 40 yards is most difficult and even when you nock one down keep calling as I have had a few double headers that way even after one or two shots have been fired.

Good luck and have fun cause you will be hooked on predator calling after you have a few run full speed right into your lap.

John
I am a man
and I can change
if I have to
I guess.

Offline BowHuntingFool

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2008, 07:17:00 PM »
You can use distress call, an old arrow, fishing string and a few turkey feathers. Tie on the feather so they fly around in the breeze a bit, this will take the attention off of you and put in on the decoy/feathers as the Dogs will think its some sort of wounded critter. Works well for bow and gun hunting. I use a mouse squeeker as well as lip squeek them in when there hung up. If they start running when they get your wind bark like a dog, this usually stops them in their tracks, be ready and shoot! Coyote hunting is fun, I love it.

I got this guys lst year with my wheeled bow, called in 11 at once, almost had 2 blondes in on sitting, the other one wouldn't commit!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v604/BowHuntingFool/100_2020.jpg
>>>---Joe Bzura---->

Big River Longbow 66" 52# @ 28"
Big River Longbow 66" 47# @ 28"
Big River Longbow 62" 52# @ 28"
Big River Recurve 60" 48# @ 28"
NewWood Longbow 58" 45# @ 28"

Wisconsin Traditional Archers
      Ojibwa Bowhunters

Offline Bear Heart

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2008, 11:13:00 PM »
I talked to my friend and I am on for Friday or Saturday morning.  He has the perfect cage and said that the other chickens got killed because they wondered out of the coupe area and toward the woodline so that where I will be.  He is a logger and has a huge stack of logs I can use to perch up on.
Can't use a gun because we are too close to other people.  Thank you for all the help.
PBS Associate Member
Jairus & Amelia's Dad

Offline vermonster13

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2008, 11:33:00 PM »
Be sure you know your regulations well and be sure the chicken isn't visible from above by a raptor, that regulation is way to open to interpretation.
TGMM Family of the Bow
For hunting to have a future, we must invest ourselves in future hunters.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©