3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: tip curls  (Read 3055 times)

Offline southernarcher

• Trad Bowhunter
tip curls
« on: February 27, 2019, 08:33:16 AM »
I was just wondering who all has had broadhead tips curl and what the story is. I have sent both STOS and Grizzlies into shoulder “blades” without curl. I drove a grizzly into the offside shoulder/leg joint and it showed no signs of any curl. I know it happens and I imagine usually on larger game?
"We do this for fun, but we aren't playing"

Offline Zradix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: tip curls
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2019, 09:02:22 AM »
Never had one curl....except for a bad shot that hit solid steel....lol

For the most part, a well made broadhead like the ones you listed and many others won't curl much if at all as long as you don't bring them to a needle point.
The tanto type tip I feel really helps curl from happening.
If some animals are good at hunting and others are suitable for hunting, then the Gods must clearly smile on hunting.~Aristotle

..there's more fun in hunting with the handicap of the bow than there is in hunting with the sureness of the gun.~ F.Bear

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2019, 11:20:19 AM »
Only when I hit a rock.
Sam

Offline Wudstix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Wood arrows & D/R Longbows Rule!!!
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2019, 11:27:43 AM »
Tanto tip really helps.  I have shoot Ribtek into a concrete wall and pulled out almost ready to hunt.  Have used STOS, ACE, Magnus, Magnus Mag II, and Snuffer with good results.  Just tanto the tip a smidge.
"If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space!!!" - Me

Psalms 121: 1-3 - King David

60" Big River 67#@28"              
60" MOAB D/R LB 62#@27"
60" Big River D/R LB 65#@27"
62" Kota Badlands LB 72#@28"
62" Howatt TD 62#@28
58” Bear Grizzly 70#@28”
62" Big River D/R LB 60#@30"
66" Moosejaw Razorback LB 60#@28"

"Memento Mori"
PBS - Associate Member
Retired DoD Civ 1985-2019

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2019, 11:34:15 AM »
I no longer knock off the tip of my Woodsmans, Zwickeys, STOS or any other head I shoot.  I haven't had any curl, but if the tip curls a little bit (or even breaks off at the point) on hard contact with bone, so what.  By that time, it's usually done it's job.  And on an arrow stopping hit like the heavy part of the scapula or spine, the arrow likely isn't going to make it through anyway unless one is shooting a very heavy arrow and poundage.

Offline southernarcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2019, 12:19:37 PM »
Yeah I’m thinking more along the lines with Orion.  I don’t tanto my STOS, and haven’t had any issues. But, I have been able to stay out of the entry side big bones so far.
"We do this for fun, but we aren't playing"

Offline J. Holden

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2019, 12:27:47 PM »
I had the tip break off on me this fall.  I shot a single bevel thru a bear in the spring.  I was able to recover the broad head out of the bears off side shoulder blade.  I cleaned up the head, resharpened it, and put it back in my quiver.

This fall found me a few yards from a small buck.  I made a poor shot, too far forward, and hit the humorous bone of the deer.  The arrow stuck and the deer ran.  A few yards away the arrow fell out.  I got down and inspected my arrow only to find the tip broken and the rest of the arrow intact.  Very little blood and no deer found.

I'm not sure if the head was weakened from the previous kill or the deers humorous was just that strong.  But I'm hesitant now to reuse a broad head that has killed.  I think I'll retire them and start a collection.  If my success holds true it'll be a small collection! :biglaugh:

-Jeremy :coffee:
Pslam 46:10

"A real man rejects passivity and takes responsibility to lead, provide, protect, and teach expecting to receive the greater reward." Dr. Robert Lewis

Offline Stinger

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2019, 05:04:08 PM »
I've got a small coffee can full of old Bear Razorheads that curled up.  Some look like the lid on an old sardine can that was opened up.  Most of those were from hitting rocks or bone on Spanish goats.

GCook

« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2019, 06:05:34 PM »
I e curled the tips on two Woodsman Elite heads on bone shots.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Online SuperK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2019, 06:30:22 PM »
I once had a Woodsman curl like an elf's shoe.  I shot at one doe and (she ducked the arrow) hit the doe behind her at the base of the ear.  The broadhead came out her throat.  I had left the point needle shaped.  The only other COC broadhead I had the tip to curl was a Magnus II 125 grain glue on.  It went through the 8 pointers ribs and buried into his off side shoulder.  It may have bent when he fell on the arrow.  Way back when I shot bows with wheels and used cheap-o replaceable blade broadheads,  I had not only points bend and break but the blades, ferrules, etc.  Most of the broadheads that I have had damaged has been from me trying to remove them from trees!  Like they say, the sun never sets on Zwickey broadheads!
They exchanged the truth of GOD for a lie,and worshiped and served created things rather than the Creator-who is forever praised.Amen Romans 1:25 NIV

Offline Todd Cook

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2019, 06:31:53 PM »
I've curled 2 of the original glue on woodsmans several years ago. But the only reason I know they curled is because I dug them out of bone on 2 very dead deer. I shoot the 160 grizzly now and have never damaged one on an animal.

Offline bucknut

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2019, 09:40:37 PM »
I've had several 160 grizzly's curl after shoulder or leg bone hits on deer. Maybe they weren't hardened enough? All of them have been straightened for reuse.
Whom virtue unites death cannot separate.

Online Eric Krewson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2019, 09:11:18 AM »
I curled a magnus on ribs no less, I didn't hit the shoulder.

Offline Tim Finley

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2019, 09:51:04 AM »
I hit a wounded deer in the spine the arrow bounced off, the deer got up  and ran away when I picked up my arrow the tip was curled more than a full curl they were Magnus . I shot the rest of the heads (I had 6 ) into some rib cages they all curled . I have shot a lot of deer and other animals with Razorheads and never had one curl yet but I have heard it form others that it happens.

Offline bigbadjon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2019, 09:59:54 AM »

Incidentally this was the first deer I killed with a bow. It was a 58# GN Fireball. I shot her at about 22 yards quartering away from a treestand. The arrow sunk in past my cresting and bounced back out. It cut through 2 ribs and I believe hit her offside legbone. This was when I was first getting started and I doubt my tune was perfect and I was using a light head with a heavy insert but the arrow did weigh 580 grains
Hoyt Tiburon 55#@28 64in
A&H ACS CX 61#@28in 68in (rip 8/3/14)

Offline Jason W

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: February 28, 2019, 11:38:33 AM »
This is a rabbit hole...

Tips curl if the metal is too soft or the hit is an off camber shot.

Yes, rock hits or large more dense bones is when you will see this possible happen

Tanto tips do help.

Ashby’s stance is, it is better to have the tip break clean than curl. A curled tip will loose more penetration over a broken tip.

However, too hard is too hard and can make the broadhead “brittle”
This is a fine line and a balance Broadhead manufactures struggle with all the time.

Offline bigbadjon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: February 28, 2019, 01:23:09 PM »
I disagree a bit with the too hard is brittle stuff. My dad makes broadheads out of his knife steel and heat treats it as such. They are 60 rc and not brittle at all. I just think people start complaing about how difficult it is to sharpen, especially those who use a file to do touch ups.
Hoyt Tiburon 55#@28 64in
A&H ACS CX 61#@28in 68in (rip 8/3/14)

Offline Jason W

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: February 28, 2019, 02:39:26 PM »
Agree. All depends on the steel as well. ALL steel reacts differently to certain hardness.
And you are absolutely right. When you get it hard, it makes it more difficult to sharpen. However, harder steel will hold Han edge better and longer.

Offline Gdpolk

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
    • Polk Knives
« Reply #18 on: February 28, 2019, 06:58:24 PM »
I've had a few Magnus Stingers curl or break on me.  Most happened when it hit the ground or a tree behind the animal which didn't bother me.  One head curled on a quartering away shot on a deer that hit rib and another curled and broke off the ferrule against a shoulder bone on a pig.  Those two bothered me.  Magnus replaced them under warranty but I just lost confidence. 

I now shoot Grizzlies and the only thing that has damaged one yet is thwacking a stone after it's passed through.  I think one of the biggest advantages of going from a common 100-125gr head to something much heavier is that the increased mass allows for the edges and tips to be built up sturdier resulting in a stronger and more durable head. Also I went to a tanto tip when I switched to Grizzlies and that probably influenced the durability as well.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2019, 07:36:12 AM by GDPolk »
1pc and 2pc Sarrels Sierra Mountain Longbows - both 53.5lbs @ 29"

https://www.gpolkknives.com/

Offline LC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: February 28, 2019, 07:44:34 PM »
I've shot lots of critters using Magnus Stingers for the last several years and not had a single tip curl. However I've used a bunch of broad heads through the years with significant tip curl. Most ended up with a dead critter though. But I'd rather not worry about tip curl and continue to use Magnus Stingers for that very reason.
Most people get rich by making more money than they have needs, me, I just reduced my needs!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©