3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: BCY X99 bowstring reviews / opinions  (Read 5263 times)

Offline slatty

• Trad Bowhunter
BCY X99 bowstring reviews / opinions
« on: March 02, 2019, 09:06:23 PM »
Hi guys,
I'm looking to get a new string and was hoping to get some opinions from people with experience using X99. Generally I hunt in quite hot weather. Is the increased heat stability of X99 (with the vectran) a consideration in picking it over mercury (straight SK99 dyneema)? I realize these are similar in cost and these are likely very small gains in performance. I need to make a decision though on material, so I appreciate opinions on this.
Mike

Online M60gunner

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: BCY X99 bowstring reviews / opinions
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2019, 09:23:42 PM »
I live in Phx Az area. In summer I shoot in 100*+ temps. Chad makes me BCY X strings, endless loop, which DONOT stretch. If I am using a certain bow from week to week it stays strung.
 It may not be the material all the time. It can be the maker. One reason I deal with makers who prestretch the strings.

Offline SteveB

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2019, 08:41:36 AM »
X99 is the replacement for BCY X. X is no longer being made as the manufacturer of the primary base material - SK 90 Dyneema - went to the newer SK99. X was 83% SK 90 and 17% Vectran - which made it extremely stable especially in heat. X99 is 80% Sk99 and 20% Vectran. All feedback so far is that it has lost nothing to BCY X. I haven't heard of any direct comparisons that conclude X99 is better/worse than Mercury. I personally cannot see/feel the difference. There are a few bowyers who are not comfortable with blended materials - I would check with yours.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2019, 07:26:04 AM by SteveB »

Offline slatty

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2019, 01:05:45 AM »
Thanks for that. From what I see on BCY, you're describing "452X" which is 67%dyneema/33%vectran.
I see the X99 being listed as 80%dyneema/20%vectran (similar to BCYX as you say).
I guess i'm wondering if anyone sees why someone should go from a pure dyneema string to a string blended with vectran. I'm not sure what the logic is behind it, if it's the extra heat stability that's desired, because otherwise dyneema seems pretty great.
Thanks and I appreciate your thoughts!
Mike

Offline SteveB

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2019, 07:27:53 AM »
I was wrong on my %'s and corrected them. Also many feel that X and X99 are just a touch quieter.

Offline slatty

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2019, 01:23:09 PM »
Ok thanks!
Steve i've been looking at your site and i'll be ordering one.
Mike

Offline DanielB89

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2019, 03:12:36 PM »
I have some of both.  I don't know that i've noticed a difference in building or stretch of the x99 vs the X.  I do know that x99 is a good bit skinnier.  If i remember correct, it takes about 16 strands to get the same diameter as 12 of X. 
"Blessed is the man who trusts in the LORD And whose trust is the LORD. Jeremiah 17:7

"There is a way which seems right to a man,
But its end is the way of death."  Proverbs 14:12

GCook

« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2019, 06:50:49 PM »
My BCYX strings stretch a lot.  300 to 400 shots to "settle in" and then a twist or so every few hundred shots for a while after that.  Is that because of the Flemish twist?  I've heard endless loop have less stretch.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Offline SteveB

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2019, 07:44:18 PM »
My BCYX strings stretch a lot.  300 to 400 shots to "settle in" and then a twist or so every few hundred shots for a while after that.  Is that because of the Flemish twist?  I've heard endless loop have less stretch.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Prestetching before serving and shooting make a huge difference. I have a calibrated stretcher. I twist both loops, put 50 lbs on and add my twists. Then run it to 100 lbs for 20+ minutes - this "sets" the splices. Then 200#'s for at least an hour. Make final length adjustments and do center serving. Few more minutes at 200 and ready for the bow. After 10 so shots it may need 3 or 4 twists and most report that is the final adjustment. This is for 16 to 18 strand BCY X.

GCook

« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2019, 09:05:27 PM »
Thanx.  I may need to try the X99.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©