3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Back Quiver Help  (Read 2377 times)

Offline rluttrell

• Trad Bowhunter
Back Quiver Help
« on: March 03, 2019, 12:24:52 AM »
I have built a back quiver before and hate the way it adjusts. I can never get it to sit on my back well.... Does anyone have a pattern for a quiver with great back adjustments?

Thank you for any help...
Hopefully you will see me as a better person today than I was yesterday..

Offline slowbowjoe

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Back Quiver Help
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2019, 08:18:16 AM »
Not entirely clear on what you mean; are you talking about the angle the quiver hangs off your back? Sounds like it... in which case the issue is strap placement on the quiver. Only option I know of is another set of holes to position the strap differently.
I did that with mine, a few times, both top and bottom of strap. Not pretty, as I was experimenting to get it the way I wanted.

If you can tell us how you're wanting the quiver to ride, and how it's fitting now that you don't like, you'll probably get some good feedback.

Offline rluttrell

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2019, 01:59:16 PM »
Sorry for the lack on info,
The quiver I have made already seems to lean left and I cant get it to stay high enough on my shoulder.  I get tired of using the bow to push it up.

I am starting to build a new quiver. I was hoping that someone has had the same problem and can show me a picture of their shoulder harness.

Thank you

Offline hunting badger

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2019, 02:55:43 PM »
I put a buckle in the shoulder strap so i can adjust the length of the strap. So if you are wearing light clothes you can tighten it up or if you are wearing bulky winter clothes you can loosen it. The system has always worked for me.

Offline slowbowjoe

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2019, 07:33:24 PM »
That's what I thought, just wanted to make sure. Sounds like you're having a similar issue that I had with mine, when I got it. I'm right handed - and the quiver hung low off my right shoulder, kind of sideways, and felt very awkward. I wanted it to ride so that the nocks rode closer to my ear.

Initially. the strap was mounted  so that on top, it was all the way to the right (laying the quiver down so that we're looking at the side that rides against your back), the lower fixed a little in from the right.

After trial and error (resulting in lots of holes), to get it so I can reach the nocks without the "bump"... again, looking at the quiver laid down, strap side up: The top of the strap is all the way to the LEFT of the quiver, and laced on the INSIDE of the body.
The lower strap is laced all the way to the right, a few inches up from the bottom.

Just a start for you. If you're a lefty, reverse the description. Pics are involved for me, I'll try to get some posted another time.
FYI: David Mitchell, on this forum, has built loads of nice quivers... might do a search for his posts, or send him a PM.

Offline rluttrell

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2019, 09:45:31 PM »
Thank you slowbowjoe, yes please send pictures. I can put a lot of holes in the templet...

Online soap creek

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2019, 06:59:50 AM »
This is how I punch holes on my quivers. They can be for right or left hand use. This one is set up for a right  handed user. This puts the fletchings between your head and shoulder. With actual Hill quivers the top holes are straight up the side of the quiver right above the bottom holes, which lets the top ride more off the point of your shoulder. Hope this helps.
(Rom. 10:13)

Offline slowbowjoe

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2019, 06:23:45 PM »
Tried to post a photo for you, but no luck. Let me know if you'd like me to email it; I can do that... but Soap Creek's is a better reference.
Top of my strap is laced on the inside, top left, of my quiver, if viewed as Soap Creek's (I find it keeps the quiver closer to me back this way). Bottom of strap is same as his.
I'm right handed, the nocks ride up between my ear and shoulder joint. That centered mount shown may be better, I'm going give mine a trial placement there.

Offline rluttrell

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2019, 10:50:43 PM »
yes please if you dont mind, emails work

Offline slowbowjoe

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2019, 06:58:56 AM »
Can't find an email for you, so I'll have another go: [ Invalid Attachment ]

Online M60gunner

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2019, 08:42:19 PM »
I had your same issue with first back quiver I made. It was suggested to me to fit the strap to bottom of quiver and use a big spring clamp to hold top of strap in place. That way you can load up the quiver and “feel” where it belongs before punching those dreaded holes. Works for me, your experience may vary.

Offline slowbowjoe

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2019, 09:02:25 PM »
I second M60's suggestion... would've saved me a bunch of holes in my quiver. We're all built differently and have our own preferences for how we want the quiver to ride.

Offline rluttrell

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2019, 01:18:09 AM »
Thank you everyone!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline gifford, MO

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2019, 10:17:30 AM »
Well, I'm late to the party, but I never got a shoulder quiver to hang 'just right' so I ended up with a center hung back quiver. I know it's different looking but I can get the arrows out easier by reaching behind my head. Two straps instead of one. I ended up trying it after my shoulder, like so many of us here, just doesn't work the way it used to. If all else fails, try the two strap center hung quiver. Just my two cents.

Offline Overspined

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2019, 11:31:39 PM »
When the quiver is strapped “correctly” it functions well for arrow drawing, swinging under your armpit to go through brush, and is a great piece of equipment. The leather must be soft enough but thick enough so blades don’t poke you, but the lie of the strap makes all the difference. I disassembled a quiver I settled on and made a SINGLE RH/LH pattern. I permanently attach the top of the strap with rivets and I sew it in too.

Offline Overspined

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: March 28, 2019, 11:40:57 PM »
Looking at that pic i remember that every part of creating a good quiver is actually really important. Including things like making sure the leather fold pattern and overlaps and lacing patterns are such that so you aren’t hanging up broadheads when you draw an arrow...I would never think I could make a new leather item without some play. You’ll almost always change it up until it works and waste some time and material figuring it all out..

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©