3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Silent arrows  (Read 243 times)

Offline Emmons

• Trad Bowhunter
Silent arrows
« on: April 02, 2008, 08:45:00 PM »
After reading the thread here about quiet fletching, I started my own testing.  My wife was the noise meter.   :)  

I would shoot two arrows and she would tell me which of the two was quieter.  Then I took the quieter of the two and shot this with another arrow.  Fletching shape was limited.

Loudest to Quietest in this order

4 fletch 5" shields
3 fletch 5" shields
4 fletch 5" parabol
3 fletch 5" parabol
3 fletch 4" parabol
4 fletch 4" low profile parabol (homemade)

My splice fletches were noted as being louder then the solid fletch.  I think this is because it is diffcult to get the fletch lined up perfect when doing a base splice.  Maybe membrain splicing is better in this regards.

This is the feather shape that came out as the quietest.  I used the trad parabol shape as a base and reduced the profile height.  The highest point is 7/16".  Made these by making two sheet metal templates and clamping the fletching in the middle, then burned to shape with a propane torch.

Beman MFX Classic 340 27-3/4" long with 16 grain insert and 250 grain point.

James

Offline JC

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Silent arrows
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2008, 08:49:00 PM »
Hmmmm....slightly less than 1/2", almost nanner in appearence.....looks familiar.   :D   Any difference in sound and/or flight stability between 3 & 4?

Keep fiddlin with it James, I think there's something to all this testing.

BTW, love the cresting and splicing of the yellow/black...go Jackets! (Ga Tech Grad)
"Being there was good enough..." Charlie Lamb reflecting on a hunt
TGMM Brotherhood of the Bow

Offline Emmons

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2008, 09:34:00 PM »
JC you are correct I took your fletch and changed it a little.  This one is a little less nanner shape and little more parabol.  I was trying to keep them about 1/2" tall but my primitive burning method and only have die cut feather to start with prevented that.  I had to make my templates smaller then the die cut feather to get a clean burn.

My wife said she could not tell the difference between the 3 or 4 fletch with this shape.  Also she said the 3 fletch 4" parabol were almost as quiet as these.  I was amazed at the difference between these and the normal 5" shields I shoot in 3 and 4 fletch arrows.  Man it is night and day, even to me from behind the bow.

I orginally planned to splice the red fletches with white also but the time it take me and the fact that the solid fletches are quieter won out.  The yellow/black will be practice arrows and the red fletch ones will to for hunting.

James

Offline Doc Nock

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2008, 01:26:00 PM »
this is pretty neat stuff... I can't wait to get this shoulder back in shape to shoot after surgery.

I gotta figure out how to get them shapes...

I just have to wonder if all the local whistle pig or sod hogs that kept duckin my stuff last few years (shot at from behind at under 20 yards)might not have "heard it coming" with my 5" low shield?
The words "Child" and "terminal illness" should never share the same sentence! Those who care-do, others question!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Sasquatch LB

Offline JC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2008, 01:35:00 PM »
Dave, I know a guy that will hook ya up if PM/email him your addy.   :rolleyes:
"Being there was good enough..." Charlie Lamb reflecting on a hunt
TGMM Brotherhood of the Bow

Offline tradtusker

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2008, 05:31:00 PM »
great looking arrows iv also gone over to using my own cut version of JC's 4x4.

James please could you explain and send me a few pics of your feather burning method it sounds like something i could finally use to burn feathers. would be much appreciated   :thumbsup:
There is more to the Hunt.. then the Horns

**TGMM Family of the Bow**

Andy Ivy

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©